S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Can you believe this ____?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you believe this ____?

I wish I could make up a good story here.... but I just backed into a pillar after trying to park in a spot that was too tight for my car. Never been so careless before with any of my cars. So bummed...

Talked to the dealer, he quoted me around $1,900 if the entire thing needs to be replaced. Are you kidding me? Looks like quite a bit is still salvageable so need to figure out how to get that estimate lower. Open to any suggestions you all may have (other than, "be more careful next time"). :-(
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bummer man, sorry for your loss. I know it must sting.

Should be covered by insurance, right?
Old 03-30-2014, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ettsn
Should be covered by insurance, right?
This is probably one of those times that you're better off paying for the repair yourself. Once the deductible is paid and you factor in higher rates after a claim, you're unlikely to be ahead of the game.

Bummer, S4thrills. Unless you have access to Stewie Griffin's time machine, I have no advice. Except, maybe check out some wreckers for a used part. The mirror (unless you have the Carbon option), should be identical for all S6s, regardless of colour.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Definitely sucks. But it could have been worse.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
This is probably one of those times that you're better off paying for the repair yourself. Once the deductible is paid and you factor in higher rates after a claim, you're unlikely to be ahead of the game.

Bummer, S4thrills. Unless you have access to Stewie Griffin's time machine, I have no advice. Except, maybe check out some wreckers for a used part. The mirror (unless you have the Carbon option), should be identical for all S6s, regardless of colour.
That is why I was just looking to pay for it on my own. I figured they would screw me on higher rates on the back end. I'll feel it out tomorrow when I take it in and get a firm quote before they do any work.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Bummer. I have never been that careless. Except the time I almost pulled the front bumper completely off my 01 A6 from a parking block. And the four or five times I ran into a curb and bent or scraped wheels. Or last month when I was leaving a parking lot and missed going over a curb I didn't see and scraped the bottom of my A6 rear quarter panel. And then there was the time I backed into a pole with my wife's allroad. Oh, and I almost forgot the time I was loading a side table into the rear seat of my 09 A4 and it got away from me and banged into the rear fender causing a nice big dent. I'm also not counting the stupid things I did in my teenage years too numerous to list here. Otherwise, I've always been very careful.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry about the accident. My heart sank when I saw the pic and heard your story. Really feel for you.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update... upon initial inspection at the dealer, I may get lucky since a few of the more expensive parts looked intact. Hoping to dodge part of the bullet here.

In other news, they had a new RS7 on the showroom floor for sale (surprised to see that). Wonder if someone ordered and backed out? The MSRP listed was $127,XXX and then there was the $20,000 "market price adjustment" bringing the total cost to $147,XXX. WOW!

Lastly, got a brand new 2015 A3 loaner. Pretty cool car, quite interesting tech... like the touch pad MMI button. Fairly basic car otherwise with a strange interior layout (ie, cup holder is kind of under the dash). The MMI screen also dims and brightens based on the speed your are driving (at least that is what I thought it was doing).
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by S4thrills
Update... upon initial inspection at the dealer, I may get lucky since a few of the more expensive parts looked intact. Hoping to dodge part of the bullet here.

Lastly, got a brand new 2015 A3 loaner. Pretty cool car, quite interesting tech... like the touch pad MMI button. Fairly basic car otherwise with a strange interior layout (ie, cup holder is kind of under the dash). The MMI screen also dims and brightens based on the speed your are driving (at least that is what I thought it was doing).
Good that you might be able to mitigate some of the repair cost.
The A3 probably has a similar light sensor as the C7s where the instrument lighting and MMI screen brightness adjust to ambient light. Not sure what the benefit would be to doing it based on speed.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Will have mirrors on Friday

I'm having my carbon fiber mirrors (from RS6) installed Friday so I'll have OEM aluminum ones for fairly cheap if you're interested. Hopefully you get a good deal on repair but certainly let me know if interested.

Quick Reply: Can you believe this ____?