S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Suggestions for new winter rims?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here, by the way, is OEMWheelsPlus's final email reply to me, following a week-long exchange of emails and phone calls. A few thoughts of my own follow…

Our distributor has informed us that these wheels are currently on national back-order and we unfortunately have our hands tied at this point as we are not the manufacturer. Sometimes products unfortunately sell out and we have done our best by calling around almost every single vendor nationwide in order to find you a single replacement. The last wheel that could be found turned out not to match perfectly upon a physical visual inspection and we thought it was in your best interest to not sent to you. It may be best to recommend you to not buy "cast" wheels as your roads appear to be rough and in combination with your cars heavy weight. The best option may be to buy "forged" wheels as you may have the same issues due to this combination of rough road conditions/heavy vehicle weight. We have had great feedback from our past Audi's customers as these wheels are a great deal at around $700 shipped for all 4 and most customers drive their vehicles under normal driving conditions and thus do not report issues such as yours which is not the norm. Unfortunately due to your driving conditions, your experience with our wheels have been less than ideal and we wish we could find an immediate solution for you but it is regretfully impossible with your extreme deadline. Please let us know if we can do anything for you in the future as we are always here to help within reason.
I appreciate them calling around, but I don't appreciate them selling entirely out of stock without regard for established customers.

$700 is actually not a "great deal" when you wind up with a set of wheels that has to be thrown away after 6000 miles. If I could just replace the one rim I wouldn't complain, since the price was really low.

The comment about "normal driving conditions" is stupid. There are 19.8 million people here in the NYC metro area alone. The company is based in SoCal, which may explain their perspective, but I will refrain from any further comment on that.

Finally, my "extreme deadline" has everything to do with me owning an $80,000 car that I cannot drive until the snow stops or I get new rims. Ugh.

Anyway, lesson learned, and I got what I paid for.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
Finally, my "extreme deadline" has everything to do with me owning an $80,000 car that I cannot drive until the snow stops or I get new rims. Ugh.
Go to ebay and buy a single 19" wheel that fits over the hub. It will get you back on the road and some more time to shop for a new set. There is a BIN for a 19" R8 wheel in NJ. $100 and you have to pick it up.

Keep it as a spare and sell your other three rims to other OEMwheelsPlus customers.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll be selling my 19" OEM winter wheels with tires after this winter is over. Not sure if that will help you. They are the ones StillwaterS6 shows.

I have HREs for summer and will use my OEM 20s for winter next year. Not sure if this helps your urgent problem, but they'll be up for sale at a deep discount (paid $3K from dealer) once my summers are mounted.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

American Racing Maverick's (20x8.5) mounting a set of Continental 255/35-20 DWS tires, shipped already mounted & balanced from Tire Rack. Although I would give serious consideration to Michelin's new Pilot Sport if I did it again (they weren't in stock at the time of ordering). That said... the DWS tires go like crazy in the snow, and worked well on my wife's Subaru too.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Banned

We have genuine Audi OEM wheels, taken off new cars and some with mileage only from the boat to our parking lot. Others are used but in good condition. Please click here to view our stock.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
We have genuine Audi OEM wheels, taken off new cars and some with mileage only from the boat to our parking lot. Others are used but in good condition. Please click here to view our stock.
Great idea but your website doesn't list the C7 S6 vehicle as an option.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Bite the bullet and get the OEM 19" S6 rims. They're about twice the price as the ones you can't use any more, but they've stood up to our bomb-cratered roads:
Totally agree if you are like me, wanted my Winter package ASAP. At that time, Tire Rack had zero options and I did not want to figure out myself. No issues so far.

Last edited by s5blitzer; 02-27-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the OEMWheelsPlus wheels. For the record, I've got 3k on mine, and my wife has logged another 2k on hers on her Q5 with no problems.

As far as their comments about forged vs. cast: forged are definitely stronger, but the actual OEM wheels are all cast. I think the bend is more a function of the OEMWheelsPlus wheels using a bit "less" metal in the casting process, resulting in a slightly less-strong wheel than even the cast OEM wheels.

Bending wheels sucks. I have actually been in your situation twice where the wheels I had weren't available any more. Not fun.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Done.

I bought a set of new OEM S6 rims -- just like the one in DeerHunter's pic. My mechanic (as always) gave me his price for the rims, so with mounting and balancing it was right around $2000 for the set. I was able to reuse the Nokian tires.

I appreciate all the advice and ideas on here.

Glad this is over. For anyone looking at OEMWheelsPlus, caveat emptor. I'm not upset that a cheap wheel fractured, but I still can't believe a company would orphan its products and leave its customers hanging like that. I didn't even get four months out of these rims.

The other three rims are on their way to becoming beer cans. I sleep well knowing that they have moved on to a higher calling, and will serve mankind better in their next iteration.