S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Suggestions for new winter rims?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for new winter rims?

I now need a whole new set of rims. I want 19" rims, something that doesn't look too flashy or aftermarket. I already have a set of Nokian WRG3's, 255/40/19, and I want to keep them. I'm going to call Hartmann, but it looks like they're out of stock with all the 19x8.5 right now.

Any other ideas?

The OEMWheelsPlus Experience

I bought the OEMWheelsPlus AU510 in gunmetal gloss and they looked really nice. I mounted Nokian WRG3's on them, and really liked the setup for 6000 miles. I trashed one last weekend on the Palisades Parkway. The NY roads are really a mess after this winter we've had.

Anyway, I was a bit disappointed about bending a rim that quickly (after 100,000 plus miles in a BMW and a 911 driving on winter roads here, and hitting plenty of potholes, without a scrape). But, you get what you pay for, and I wasn't surprised that a $200 rim wouldn't last forever.

The problem is, they've sold completely out of these, so the car won't drive until I replace them. They sold all their stock, and have no idea when they will have these again. They found a leftover rim with a blemish, but it turned out to be matte finish, and wouldn't match mine. They can't find any stock anywhere. So now my "inexpensive" $800 set of rims is going to be beer cans by this time next year, and I'm out a whole new set of rims.

I'm pretty annoyed about this whole thing. It's just bad business to orphan a product this quickly after a sale. We also had a scrape right at the start. Their sales department assured me the rims would fit, but they didn't clear the front calipers. To their credit, they sent me a set of spacers without charge, but they don't really seem to know what they're doing.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bite the bullet and get the OEM 19" S6 rims. They're about twice the price as the ones you can't use any more, but they've stood up to our bomb-cratered roads:

Old 02-21-2014, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Did you get them through the dealer or somewhere else? I checked with the dealer when I bought the car, and all they had was the 18" A6 rims with Blizzaks for $3000.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Through the dealer. They may have to order them, as I can't imagine that it's a stocked item.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

dD, why not look thru the Classifieds here? There are tons of wheels for sale.

I found a near-perfect set on Craiglist a few years ago.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a heads up. On the S6, 18s won't fit over the calipers. I have the 19 inch wheel package from audi and there is a nickel's-worth of clearance between the caliper and inside of the rim.

Originally, I was going to get the 19 inch VMR 710s. They arrived at the dealership and wouldn't fit over the calipers. Do for aftermarket wheels, check the inside diameter measurement.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some aftermarket 20" won't clear either. I know because it took the third set of wheels I test fit before I succeeded.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to call the dealer on Monday and see what options they have. What a pain in the butt this is...
Old 02-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would recommend Hartmann's if you can find them. Mine have held up well this winter and the winter set I used on my S4 also did well. They also seem to offer them year after year so if you need to replace one it will likely be made still.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm going to call Hartmann Monday to see if they have something I like. Also going to call the dealership. I did check the classifieds here and didn't see anything. Unfortunately the car is not drivable until I get this fixed, so I don't have the luxury of looking around for a few weeks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestions for new winter rims?