A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security switch for extra security

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
That won't trigger any flags.
I think a nice security / convenience feature would be for Connect to be able to track the vehicle.
Then again I suppose you could just knock the shark fin off....
Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

If you are walking away from your car and someone pulls a gun on you (and you can't return fire) you will give them your key and they drive away in your car. If you are say, in a gym and your stuff is in a locker and a thief busts in, they have your key with the four rings on it. They go into the parking lot and drive away in your car.

Instead, install a kill switch that cuts off one of the engine RPM sensor wires. Problem solved.

Disclosure: I do not carry any insurance on my vehicles as it is a ripoff in itself.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Some U.S. reports/stories on it.

Steal rate on A8 is usually perceived as relatively low in U.S. Too rare for chop shop parts boosting, and too "boring" and fuddy duddy for stereotype kids joy riding. Some market if they get shipped complete to third world or Asia, but that's sort of organized crime, flatbeds, container transport, etc. Angle sensor already built in to factory alarm may be best single item there, if anyone pays attention to it. I know it works from jacking up car a few times when doors got locked along the way.

From a U.S. insurance report I saw I while back S8 had a pretty high theft percentage, but I think it was in fair measure because the reporting base (demoninator) was so low. One story on this: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...y-thieves.html S8 is literally at the top of this list if you click through, though A8 is on it too; kind of an eclectic "luxury" list though: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012...n-luxury-cars/

The usual most stolen vehicle type lists--high volume vehicles with a ready use parts market: http://www.esurance.com/claims-info/...op-stolen-cars, and way higher in absolute numbers. Audi hardly registers in the noise level on these kinds of mass market lists.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-28-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
If you are walking away from your car and someone pulls a gun on you (and you can't return fire) you will give them your key and they drive away in your car. If you are say, in a gym and your stuff is in a locker and a thief busts in, they have your key with the four rings on it. They go into the parking lot and drive away in your car.

Instead, install a kill switch that cuts off one of the engine RPM sensor wires. Problem solved.

Disclosure: I do not carry any insurance on my vehicles as it is a ripoff in itself.
How would the car react if one of the RPM sensor wires is disconnected?

Here usually thieves don't use flatbeds or any other towing methods. Usually they just trick electronics in some way and drive the car. I remember BMW's getting stolen by messing with some wires inside the door mirror so software goes nuts. It didn't start the car but disabled immobilizers and stuff like that.
Found an interesting article too:
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012...n-hacking-kit/
Old 01-29-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdream

Here usually thieves don't use flatbeds or any other towing methods. Usually they just trick electronics in some way and drive the car. I remember BMW's getting stolen by messing with some wires inside the door mirror so software goes nuts. It didn't start the car but disabled immobilizers and stuff like that.
Found an interesting article too:
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012...n-hacking-kit/
The Engine RPM sensor, if defective, will not allow the engine to start. It is a Hall-Effect sensor so disconnecting any single wire renders it inoperative.

Search some threads here for stories about defective ones. Failure mode begins with failures when hot (engine hot) but allows start when cooled down to ambient temp, even in the Summer heat when mine failed forcing my wife & I to walk home about two miles.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdream

I believe the car would crank but not start. I'm not sure about this. Perhaps someone else can confirm.