Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

B&O AM radio volume problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&O AM radio volume problem

I have a 2013 Q5 with the B&O radio. Has anyone had a problem when tuning in an AM station and the volume is low the goes to normal and back low again? This has happened two or three times and Audi servie says they have not heard of it. They want to do a diagnostic test to see if there are any codes.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I haven't had this problem, but....

A few thoughts:

1) does it happen only an AM stations? what about FM?
2) does it happen only on a certain AM Station, and not others? perhaps it is signal strength issue
3) does it happen only when moving? ie. it's good in one physical area, but not so good in another? maybe again related to signal strength
4) are there any types of interference resident in the area where the volume decrease occurs? ie. electrical wires, high tension cables, other electro-magnetic interference sources?
5) do you have the GALA speed sensitive volume enabled? try changing the setting to see if that addresses it....

Just ideas. I am neither an audio engineer, nor do I play one on TV.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by TSWQ5
I have a 2013 Q5 with the B&O radio. Has anyone had a problem when tuning in an AM station and the volume is low the goes to normal and back low again? This has happened two or three times and Audi servie says they have not heard of it. They want to do a diagnostic test to see if there are any codes.
I have a 2014 Q5 and have the same issue on Satellite XM
Old 11-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had this problem a number of times and only on an AM station. I listen to it for traffic and weather. It's quite annoying when it happens as the sound fades in and out. I haven't talked to the dealer yet but obviously a problem.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have a 2013 w/B&O and haven't experienced this issue. I listen to AM radio fairly regularly for traffic, news, ballgames etc. As mentioned, maybe it's a signal strength issue. I live in the Chicago area and the FM stations I listen to are local.

AM reception is spotty in the city with the tall buildings and more consistent in the suburban areas.

Last edited by Q5 Bob; 11-01-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't believe it to be a reception problems. I live in Toronto and this signal strength is excellent. The problem is interment as resolves itself when I turn the car off and let it sit for a few minutes.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Try to notice if the AM station is broadcasting in HD. The range for HD radio is less than analog radio. As it switched between modes the sound will change, including the volume. That is my experience in my 2011 A4. Haven't noticed it yet in my new 2014 Q5.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2012 Q5 B&O Volume Modulation

I have the same problem with the volume modulating, regardless of speed or any other ambient noises. I don't believe it is dependent on HD channels, but I haven't checked.

I went through all the features and settings and I don't see any speed dependent volume adjustment settings.

Any ideas?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Drfe99
I don't believe it to be a reception problems. I live in Toronto and this signal strength is excellent. The problem is interment as resolves itself when I turn the car off and let it sit for a few minutes.
I'm in Toronto as well and have not noticed this problem.
Which station is it? 680news? - Definitely no problem with that one.

If it's a different station, let me know and I'll try it out.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The issue you guys are having might be caused by GALA noise compensation. Try disabling GALA in your MMI sound settings.

Quick Reply: B&O AM radio volume problem