Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Porsche Macan announcement from LA Auto Show

Old 11-20-2013, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrcardon
Interesting, when i priced it out with everything that comes with the SQ5 I was upwards of $74k (21 inch wheels, ADS, leather interior, Nav + parking sensors and camera, keyless entry and start, carbon fiber interior, upgraded side skirts, dimming mirrors, etc).
Indeed, I was going for more of a bare essentials situation. I could live without most of those extras if the base vehicle was a blast to drive. And many of the items you listed are options on the SQ5 too.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larryV
That's because Porsche is launching the Macan with the two most premium and sportiest models first (Macan S and Macan Turbo), with cheaper base models sure to come later. I'm sure a less expensive base model (maybe using VAG's 2.0T motor) will follow, and maybe even a diesel and/or hybrid version like what the Q5 has. But for now there's only two flavors: fast and super fast, so prepare your wallets because Porsche is eager to rape you with options pricing too

Otherwise, I like it. Might trade the SQ5 for a Turbo in a couple of years if/when the gf gets tired of it.
Thanks, that makes sense. I am not familiar w/the Porsche models and didn't realize the base Cayenne had a smaller engine than the "base" Macan S. Interesting, the pricing on the base Cayenne now says TBD. I assume they realize it still needs to be higher than the Macan S even though it has a smaller engine.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting that both the "S" and "Turbo" both have smaller front brakes than the SQ5 - The Porsche has the better calipers though.

Are the braking numbers published somewhere?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
Thanks, that makes sense. I am not familiar w/the Porsche models and didn't realize the base Cayenne had a smaller engine than the "base" Macan S. Interesting, the pricing on the base Cayenne now says TBD. I assume they realize it still needs to be higher than the Macan S even though it has a smaller engine.
Maybe not. The base Cayenne is so poorly equipped that it makes up for its low base price with the fact you have to spend $20k in options to get it reasonably well equipped. That's one thing I like about the Q5. A lot of nice features are already included in the base prices and the options are more reasonably priced.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:59 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Canadian pricing is 13% higher on msrp and options.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by L0U
Canadian pricing is 13% higher on msrp and options.
I noticed that too.
Buying from the USA is a better option for Canadians in this case as you'd be saving at least 7% off the top. (Duty would be 6%)
Old 11-21-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JaXeN
I noticed that too.
Buying from the USA is a better option for Canadians in this case as you'd be saving at least 7% off the top. (Duty would be 6%)
But then you'd be stuck with a speedo with primary MPH markings and secondary KM/H markings and the tire markings and door stickers will have tire pressure in pounds instead of kg!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
But then you'd be stuck with a speedo with primary MPH markings and secondary KM/H markings and the tire markings and door stickers will have tire pressure in pounds instead of kg!
Very true, and a speedo showing any "MPH" would irk me to no end.

Audi's in Canada come with "km/h" ONLY on the speedo, just like they do in mainland Europe.
I think this looks MUCH cleaner than the dual unit clusters you get in the US and the UK.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Very true, and a speedo showing any "MPH" would irk me to no end.

Audi's in Canada come with "km/h" ONLY on the speedo, just like they do in mainland Europe.
I think this looks MUCH cleaner than the dual unit clusters you get in the US and the UK.
I didn't know that. I like my km/h markings even though I only drive to Canada once or twice during the life of my car.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a jap import 300ZX with km/h only here in the UK. You get really good at 3/5 of any number!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Macan announcement from LA Auto Show