A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Steering module code update

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
Thumbs up Steering module code update

Although my electric power steering only had very occasional "notchiness" I was pleased that new code was available/loaded during my 5k service this morning. Will advise if it happens again.

Other than this rare situation, and rather heavy brake dust (wish Audi had employed the low dust pads I had on my prior A5) I have been very pleased with the Allroad. It just feels right in any clime and place.

Ref: Bulletin 48K8; J500 Control Module
Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Over a week now with the new firmware and no issues. Smooth operation at all commuting speeds.

My Allroad is a January 2013 build, fwiw.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's good news, Huey! I will be doing my 5,000 mile service on Friday. I will be asking for that issue as well. I'm not sure if all allroad are mandated to get that code reprogram for the steering.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
That's good news, Huey! I will be doing my 5,000 mile service on Friday. I will be asking for that issue as well. I'm not sure if all allroad are mandated to get that code reprogram for the steering.
If you purchased the car recently then it probably has been applied already but you should ask anyway at your next service. Lots of dealers were pushing it out on their stock as soon as the update was released. Wouldn't want the notchy steering to occur during a test drive and ruin a sale.

I am scheduled to get the 48K8 update on Sat. I've only heard positive reviews so I am glad to hear the update is a homerun, OP.

A year later, two steering racks, 4 botched alignments, and a scuffed up steering wheel to show for all of this grief - I am looking forward to this fix. University Audi in Lynnwood is the worst. I'm taking it to the competition (Barrier) for the SW update.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did the 5,000 mile service yesterday, and they did update the Steering code to the latest software version. I hope they got this problem fixed with the latest software. I have not had any steering wheel problem at all but I think steering feel has improved when I drove it home yesterday. It seems they are doing this update for all cars with the new steering wheel system.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Very cool!
I got mine done this morning and after about 30 miles, so far so good. Steering feel is linear and much smoother.
I wish I could have gotten my alignment done on Friday as scheduled but the local mod shop is moving locations and had to cancel.

They also did an ECU update. Ill have to look at the paperwork but the service advisor said it just came out on the 22nd. Had to do with erroneous fuel sender/pump failures.
Did they do that for you too?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No update on fuel sender/pump failure on mine. Maybe it is specific to your car's manufacturing date.

Originally Posted by spl1011
Very cool!
I got mine done this morning and after about 30 miles, so far so good. Steering feel is linear and much smoother.
I wish I could have gotten my alignment done on Friday as scheduled but the local mod shop is moving locations and had to cancel.

They also did an ECU update. Ill have to look at the paperwork but the service advisor said it just came out on the 22nd. Had to do with erroneous fuel sender/pump failures.
Did they do that for you too?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well its been two weeks since getting the SW update and getting an alignment, and so far the steering SW fix is a homerun in my book. The steering has me wanting to drive this car like I did when I first bought it. Fingers crossed that's the end of that.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same here. All good since my initial posting.

Originally Posted by spl1011
Well its been two weeks since getting the SW update and getting an alignment, and so far the steering SW fix is a homerun in my book. The steering has me wanting to drive this car like I did when I first bought it. Fingers crossed that's the end of that.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

After 2 weeks of driving with the new steering code, the allroad feels like a different vehicle. Very happy with it. It tightens up pretty well when you go pass 70-75, and not soft like before.

I wish they would do one more upgrade so steering will be almost as tight as my S5

Quick Reply: Steering module code update