S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 Audi S6 - Audio System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cvbmilani
Thanks subterFUSE for the reply.

I am planning to go with the bitone because my MS-8 is a hiss generator machine (let me know if you are in need of one).

When you were running the bitone directly from the logic7 did you experience hiss?
It is actually funny you mention the MS8 being a "hiss generator" because the rumor is the same about the BitOne. I have seen reports in forums about people switching from the BitOne to the MS8 or ArcAudio PS8 because of noise on the BitOne.

My experience is that the hiss is due to improper initial setup which affects the noise floor. When you first install the BitOne and run the Setup Wizard, you have to set your factory head unit volume to the highest undistorted volume level possible. On my BMW, that level was 90% of full volume. If I ran the Setup with the BMW volume lower than that, there would be hiss. When set up correctly, it was clean.

On the BMW, the last position for the stereo volume would be forgotten when the car was turned off. When turned on, the volume always defaulted to about 30% of max. There was no digital readout of the volume position like we have in the Audi. Even further complicating things, the BMW volume control did not work immediately when the car started. You had to wait for the iDrive to boot, then turn the volume **** to the right a few turns to get it to 100%, and then turn it left 6 clicks. It was like opening a padlock on a locker in high school.

When I installed the BitOne, I had to count the number of detent clicks from max volume to off. It was 60 clicks. So 90% was maximum minus 6 clicks.

Fortunately, things will be much easier on our Audis because the volume has a digital readout.

Ask your install shop if they have the new Audison BitTune toolkit. One of the features of the BitTune is an oscilloscope that can determine the clipping point of the Audi stereo. It will tell you exactly how high the volume needs to be set on the factory ****.

I did have a problem with alternator noise on an iPod audio cable connected to the BitOne in my previous car. But that was a ground loop issue and not related to noise floor hiss. I solved that problem when I added the iStreamer 12V. Signal was clean and noise-free after that.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 09-11-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE

I may still consider a 10w7 at your suggestion, however. Maybe we will test out a 10 first and then try the 12?
If you can audition both the 10 and 12, that would be ideal, obviously. I originally moved from two 10" polk subs to one 10w7 in a sealed enclosure and it was the first time in my audio enthusiast life that I really realized how big of a difference a high quality subwoofer can make. I had the 10w7 oriented to be rear firing and I often had passengers in the car say "wow the sub is so tight in this car that I literally feel like my organs are being bruised".. or "are you sure that the sub is not going to bust your windows?". I am not someone that listens to music crazy loud either, but my parents always told me that they could hear me approaching their house from many blocks away. It was really a great speaker.

The 12w7 that is in my home theater sub is excellent as well and the Fathom is so heavy that I can barely move it. However, it is really impossible to compare the two as they are in completely different soundstages, closed vs open-air in my home. I do feel like the Fathom sits around and yawns a lot in my home though, even though I have it fully balanced into my 2+1 music setup... What I mean is that even when I have tunes cranked.. the 12w7 woofer is barely moving, yet is giving off a ton of bass. In my car that 10w7 definitely moved a lot when listening to music at a comfortable level, but also hit way harder.. possibly just because of the closed air environment of the car though.

I would love to hear your opinion if you do get to audition both for a pretty good amount of time. At this point I am planning on doing another 10w7 in my Audi when it arrives...

In theory, yes it would be better to use the MoBridge and keep the signal digital. If I can confirm the MoBridge works 100% with my car and preserves the bluetooth, then I will go that route.
You primarily just want the bluetooth for phone integration correct?

The answer is yes. It does make a difference how you connect your iPod or other sources, regardless if you have the MoBridge or not. While the MOST signal is digital, the original source music must get transferred from the media device to the Audi first. Depending on the source, that process may involve D/A conversion or A/D conversion. Snagitseven has posted pretty extensively on the topic of audio sources and conversion. You can search for his detailed explanation on sources and conversions.

Speaking just to the use of an iPod or iPhone:

iPod/iPhone via AMI cable

The AMI cable does not bypass the Apple internal D/A converter, so the signal gets converted to analog and then converted back to digital before being transmitted via the MOST bus to the factory amp.

Advantage: All file formats supported by Apple are available. WAV, AIFF, MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless. Full iPod control via MMI. Artwork. Gapless playback supported. Browse by Composer supported. (huge feature for me)

Disadvantage: Conversion from Digital to analog and then back occurs. Some quality will be lost.

Bluetooth

With Bluetooth you get some control over the iPhone/iPod, but not the full control like the AMI gets. I do not know the stats on the quality of the bluetooth audio stream, but my gut tells me it is probably lower quality than the AMI cable connection.

Of those two options, I would personally use the AMI cable.
Thanks for all of this information and regarding connecting the audio sources directly to the BitOne.

So given that you opted to use the iStreamer in your BMW, are you going to do this again in the Audi setup, or are you thinking you will use the AMI?

I too would really like to keep as much integrated into the central MMI system versus having to change the source on the BitOne, etc. The Bit Play could be interesting as well, but part of this is that I do not want to have to have multiple music storage devices necessarily..
Old 09-12-2013, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I do think we will audition both a 10W7 & 12W7 in my car before deciding on which one to use. I'll definitely let you know.

Yes, I want the bluetooth for my phone. I don't use Bluetooth for audio streaming.

And I will definitely install the iStreamer in my car when we do the stereo, since we will have the car taken apart already. Whether or not I end up using it will depend on the results we get from the AMI.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I do think we will audition both a 10W7 & 12W7 in my car before deciding on which one to use. I'll definitely let you know.

Yes, I want the bluetooth for my phone. I don't use Bluetooth for audio streaming.

And I will definitely install the iStreamer in my car when we do the stereo, since we will have the car taken apart already. Whether or not I end up using it will depend on the results we get from the AMI.
What is your timeline on the build?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dy_TX
What is your timeline on the build?
I have ordered some speakers which are on backorder. Need for those to make it in before I can book an appointment.

I have also ordered a Black Optics grill which will be here in a couple of weeks, hopefully. Once that grill arrives I am probably going to have it painted, and then have my Audi dealer install it.

Once the grill is installed and my speakers arrive I will be ready to get started with the stereo. I want the grill installed first because I'm going to have my stereo installers put in a laser jammer at the same time they do the stereo.

I'm guessing I'll be starting the system in the next 4-6 weeks?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have ordered some speakers which are on backorder. Need for those to make it in before I can book an appointment.

I have also ordered a Black Optics grill which will be here in a couple of weeks, hopefully. Once that grill arrives I am probably going to have it painted, and then have my Audi dealer install it.
Ah.. Did you audition Focals or the JL audio ZR's when you were looking at the Hertz? I realize that Hertz is regarded as a tier above those, especially the JL's, but with the cost savings then you could add a couple in the back as well.

Also, what color are you thinking of painting the grill?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ah.. Did you audition Focals or the JL audio ZR's when you were looking at the Hertz? I realize that Hertz is regarded as a tier above those, especially the JL's, but with the cost savings then you could add a couple in the back as well.

Also, what color are you thinking of painting the grill?
I love JL Audio subwoofers, but their regular speakers are not high-end enough for me so I never considered them.

The stereo shop I use just started carrying Focal again, but I already have a set of Hertz Mille 2-way components from my previous install. 6.5" midbass and tweeters. Those speakers were $2500 for the pair, so I did not want to replace them with something else after that kind of investment. So I decided to add the 4" Mille midrange to match, and turn them into a 3-way component set. I will cross them over actively with the BitOne, which means there won't be any available channels for rear fill.

I am planning to have the trim on the grill painted Ibis White to match the car.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ah yeah, that all makes good sense.

Have you listened to the Focals? If so, what do you think of them? I am trying to decide if I want to buy them or another brand and if I go Focal, which model level to go with.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ah yeah, that all makes good sense.

Have you listened to the Focals? If so, what do you think of them? I am trying to decide if I want to buy them or another brand and if I go Focal, which model level to go with.
No, I have never listened to Focals. Ultimate Auto, the shop I use, just started carrying Focal a couple of months ago. Audison/Hertz has decided to discontinue the Mille series speakers. Those are the speakers which I currently own. Ultimate Auto had to find another speaker to fill that void, so they picked up Focal. By all reports they are excellent speakers, but I have no first-hand experience.

As for your question about which speakers to choose, that is going to depend on your goals, system design and budget.

Our Audi C7s have good speaker locations to work with. BMW OEM speaker locations are terrible, and almost always require cutting the door panels to install aftermarket drivers. But our Audis have nice 3-way speaker setups in front, and should require no major changes to the factory look.

To select the right speakers it will be a good idea to answer a few questions:

Do you want a 3-way speaker system? Or 2-way?

How much power do you want to drive them?

Do you want to use a passive crossover, or active?

Do you want rear fill speakers?

Personally, I am going to do 3-way active components in front and no rear fill. Just the subwoofer in the trunk.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As for your question about which speakers to choose, that is going to depend on your goals, system design and budget.

Our Audi C7s have good speaker locations to work with. BMW OEM speaker locations are terrible, and almost always require cutting the door panels to install aftermarket drivers. But our Audis have nice 3-way speaker setups in front, and should require no major changes to the factory look.

To select the right speakers it will be a good idea to answer a few questions:

Do you want a 3-way speaker system? Or 2-way?

How much power do you want to drive them?

Do you want to use a passive crossover, or active?

Do you want rear fill speakers?
Hi subter, here is my current plan and I would appreciate any advice or thoughts you have.

First of all, I am actually going to be doing this system in a 2014 RS5 (B8 platform) and not an S6. I am hoping that the same type of situation exists as the B7 as you mentioned, with adequate clearance for new 6.5" component speakers to drop into the factory locations, with little custom fabrication. Where I am a bit out of my comfort zone in this car is that 1. I have never done an install on an Audi, or even a German car 2. I have never worked with one of these factory systems where they have 14 speakers in the stock configuration and 3. Integration with a factory head unit/electronics (Audi MMI).

Now the last item, I am hoping is easily solved with the MoBridge + BitOne combo, which it sounds like it will be.

What I was originally planning for this system is to do the Focal 2-way 165 KRX2's in the front and rear, or possibly just those in the front and a pair of Focal coaxials in the rear. I am planning to make this call one I get to spend quality time with the vehicle and assess what is in place from the factory, depth restrictions, etc..

I mentioned the MoBridge + BitOne combo and I am planning to do digital all the way to the amp, as well as potentially the iStreamer, if you recommend that brand still, which it sounds like you do.

For amplification, I was planning to do the Audison Voce 5.1 to power the front and rears and the 10w7 sub... OR do a Voce 4 channel and a separate Voce 1 channel for the subwoofer. I was thinking this would simply come down to price and mounting space. My initial plan was to mount the amplifiers to the backs of the back seats, giving them vertical heat dissipation and a bit better ventilation in general. Here in Dallas, heat can be a real issue.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Quick Reply: 2013 Audi S6 - Audio System Upgrade