A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are headrest posts hollow and where is the sensor that says the bonnet (hood)'s shu

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are headrest posts hollow and where is the sensor that says the bonnet (hood)'s shu

Morning gentlemen

2 questions I'm trying to resolve,

Are the poles in the front seat headrest ( I have comfort seats with electric headrests ) hollow ?
Where is the sensor that tells the MMI the bonnet ( hood ) is closed ?

My reasons are I want to put screens in my headrests ( which looks easy ) but I'm not sure how to run the cables down into the seat so if they poles are hollow that might solve that problem. When I close my bonnet ( hood ) the MMI doesn't always think it's closed so I assume the sensor is dirty or broken etc

Thanks for any help

Si
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigladUK
Morning gentlemen

2 questions I'm trying to resolve,

Are the poles in the front seat headrest ( I have comfort seats with electric headrests ) hollow ?
Where is the sensor that tells the MMI the bonnet ( hood ) is closed ?

My reasons are I want to put screens in my headrests ( which looks easy ) but I'm not sure how to run the cables down into the seat so if they poles are hollow that might solve that problem. When I close my bonnet ( hood ) the MMI doesn't always think it's closed so I assume the sensor is dirty or broken etc

Thanks for any help

Si
Not sure about the bonnet sensor, but headrest poles should be hollow. I wanted to get Alpine monitors installed in the headrests so I had an Alpine technician check it and he told me it was hollow (didn't take it apart tho). I think this is also the was cables are taken to the monitors with OEM rear entertainment package.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks chap.

I'm looking to install screens but as I'm rocking Amaretto interior I can't get cheap replacements off ebay plus I'd like some good quality hardware so going to put the 7" Alpine screens in. Watched some videos on how to install them and looks straight forward enough.
Need to work out how I'm going to feed them ( av inputs ) but now I know the poles are hollow I can put the screens in quickly and easily

Si
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Amaretto?

Mate, there was a guy breaking a D3 on Ebay with that interior. Do you need parts? Let me know if you do and I'll dig it up again. Search on 'Audi A8 horn' and you'll find the guy. Can't remember if he's here (USA) or back home but let me know if you get stuck...

K9

Originally Posted by BigladUK
Thanks chap.

I'm looking to install screens but as I'm rocking Amaretto interior I can't get cheap replacements off ebay plus I'd like some good quality hardware so going to put the 7" Alpine screens in. Watched some videos on how to install them and looks straight forward enough.
Need to work out how I'm going to feed them ( av inputs ) but now I know the poles are hollow I can put the screens in quickly and easily

Si
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mate that sounds awesome but I"m unable to locate the seller...would be kind enough to link me ?

Ta
Si
Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by K9COP
Mate, there was a guy breaking a D3 on Ebay with that interior. Do you need parts? Let me know if you do and I'll dig it up again. Search on 'Audi A8 horn' and you'll find the guy. Can't remember if he's here (USA) or back home but let me know if you get stuck...

K9
Hi K9,

I can't find this guy, are you able to dig him out ?

Thanks

Si