A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Specifications & General Maintenace
Print Wikipost

Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have scheduled my car for the TSB this wednesday by complaining about the excessive oil consumption after the replacement of the camshaft, camshaft adjuster, vacuum and fuel pumps. My car is 51000 miles now, but I did get my warranty extended to 62000 miles after calling AOA.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I find this topic very interesting, and must say I feel somewhat vindicated after learning that AOA has finally admitted that some of the 2.0t engines in fact have an oil consumption problem.

My 2010 A4 was burning a quart every 700-800 miles when its mileage was in the higher 20K range, and all I got from the service advisor was NORMAL...and he refused to do the oil check (weigh oil, drive 700 miles, weigh oil again)... and I think most of you know the rest of the story...

I do miss some things about my A4, but I don't miss poor customer service and an argumentative attitude on the part of the dealership service advisor and AOA (had to fight to get the control arms replaced which fixed THAT problem)...

To be fair, the service manager and general manager at the Audi dealership were great, I just got worn down by a bad service advisor...

For what it's worth, my BMW 535 i X drive now has 9000 miles and hasn't burned a drop of oil....and their service, while it does have SOME issues, does recognize the value of customer good will....

Also found it interesting that from the time the Audi dealer which bought my A4 from the BMW dealer took possession to the time they put it for sale as a CPO was almost 8 weeks, rather than the normal 10 days. One can only imagine that they had to do alot to the engine to get it up to CPO standard...

Shame that one person can ruin an entire ownership experience...
Old 11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

My service advisor just told me Audi's criteria for qualifying for this tsb is losing 1 quart within 1200 miles. He also advised me to bring the car in to top off this oil so that they can log the usage (ie: don't top it off myself).
Old 11-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by a4-bob
My service advisor just told me Audi's criteria for qualifying for this tsb is losing 1 quart within 1200 miles. He also advised me to bring the car in to top off this oil so that they can log the usage (ie: don't top it off myself).
I'm at nearly 28,000 miles and my next Audi Care service won't be until April 2012 (I won't hit 35,000 miles by then but it will be year since last service). My warranty runs out early Sept 2012 although I know I will still have one more Audi Care service visit after that.

My car, since the RVU for the Camshaft fix, has burned way more oil than ever. However, I don't believe it will end up being 1 qt. in 1200 miles.

Does anyone have this latest TSB??? Can someone scan it so we can actually see what Audi is telling the dealers? I have searched and not come up with anything other than the NYT article and am not even sure that the TSB number they list for it is correct.

My concern is that I have fairly low miles -- I'll probably be around 38,000 or so when the 4 yr warranty is up. I realized that this car has some other things wrong -- I've continued to notice an antifreeze smell after driving, yet no drops of fluid anywhere to be found. After some searching, I realized this is yet ANOTHER TSB from Audi with many having gotten their water pump and seal replaced.

I really want to get these things fixed on Audi's nickel instead of having a several thousand dollar bunch of repairs on my hands after the bumper to bumper expires. My service mgr is pretty good, the service advisors are for crap -- they seem to want to extract money from you at every turn, making my visits more uncomfortable. I have taken to getting in touch with my service manager ahead of time to clear things with him, then the service advisors can say/do whatever they want since I've got their boss's attention already.

Does anyone know/have the TSB for losing coolant/replacing the water pump?

This is my 2nd Audi -- 1st was leased for only 24 mos so I didn't experience any of these issues.

Seems that Audi really doesn't want to step up and fix cars without having their owners jump through hoops 1st. Not at all a luxury experience IMO.