A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone changed there steering wheel ? D3 08

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone changed there steering wheel ? D3 08

I have an 08 D3 with a wooden 3 spoke multifunction paddleshift wheel but want to change it for either a regular sport leather one or even the smaller sportier ones from something like an A3 or TT with the round air bag.

Has anyone done this or does anyone have part numbers for the wheel ?

Also if I bought a new replacement wheel would I be able to buy a none multifunction one and put the multifunction switches in it from the old wheel ?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

Si
Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There are a few different steering wheels depending on the options your car has (ie radar cruise, no radar cruise). Go here: http://genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlo...layCatalogid=0

I think the control switches come already mounted to the wheel.

I've got the Bentley Publishers shop manual if you're thinking of doing the swap yourself.
Btw, what color is your wood wheel as I would be interested in it when you take it off your car.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply. I've seen loads of different wheels on Ebay but can't be certain which ones are the correct ones for a simple swop out, I'm planning on doing it myself as I'm sure it's just plug and play.

I think my current one is Birch if your interested but I assume your in the US ?

My car has everything except the heated bit ( so multifunction and Paddle shift )

I guess I'll just have to get one and take a punt.

What di you think I could sell my old one for ?

Si
Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default yes, I have

Originally Posted by BigladUK
I have an 08 D3 with a wooden 3 spoke multifunction paddleshift wheel but want to change it for either a regular sport leather one or even the smaller sportier ones from something like an A3 or TT with the round air bag.

Has anyone done this or does anyone have part numbers for the wheel ?

Also if I bought a new replacement wheel would I be able to buy a none multifunction one and put the multifunction switches in it from the old wheel ?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

Si
It is simple to R&R a steering wheel. After yo do the swap, you have to hook-up to the VAG-COM and 'tell' the car what type of wheel to recognize.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I plan to as soon as I find a wheel. I want to add the heated wheel with shift paddles to my 08. List is about $1300 for the wheel, but they go on EBay for less than $200. So, as soon as the right beige wheel comes up, I will do the swap.

Even the dealership told me it's a simple job.

Larry
Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lgball
I plan to as soon as I find a wheel. I want to add the heated wheel with shift paddles to my 08. List is about $1300 for the wheel, but they go on EBay for less than $200. So, as soon as the right beige wheel comes up, I will do the swap.

Even the dealership told me it's a simple job.

Larry
Yeah, good luck finding a decent wheel for $200
Old 03-01-2011, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gaspasser19
Yeah, good luck finding a decent wheel for $200
Why do you say that ?

Si
Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigladUK
Why do you say that ?

Si
I've been looking at wheels lately and it's pretty uncommon to see multifunction heated D3 wheels with paddles and when I do they are usually black. I don't think I've ever seen a beige one. That is why I said good luck, I think you'll need it.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm after a black wheel and there seems to be a lot of multifunction ones with paddles from sweden brand new but i'm worried they'll be the wrong one as my dealer seems unable to give me guidence on the part number and there are so many different combinations to chose from
Old 03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I need a black one. Would love to know where you saw one for $200 on ebay? Do tell....

Quick Reply: Anyone changed there steering wheel ? D3 08