S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Detailed the car today

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great man.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Try this:

http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 04-12-2014, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by stillwaterS6
I use a clay bar. Then turtle wax ice clear wax. Then turtle wax synthetic detailed. 3 steps.
No polishing phase after claying ??
Old 04-12-2014, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
No polishing phase after claying ??
Dont really need it on new paint. Although if you want to go that route, factory finish can be improved upon. Lots of orange peel in new car paint due to the modern process. I would only let an real expert polish my brand new S6 tho. Todd Cooperrider would be happy to polish your brand new car and put 22ple on it for 1500! I think thats what he quoted me last year, but don't quote me!).

Claying gets off all overspray or contaminants and a new car can benefit from that. I did mine before using Zaino and the clay made a difference in the smootness of the finish. It came out great!

I machine polish other cars and you are right, it comes after the claybar, otherwise you will just push all the sap and tar and contaminants around with the buffer. Most cars that have been used for a while can benefit from a polish, some even compound first. It is really fun to bring back the paint and make a car look beautiful again!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I started using a nanoskin as an alternative to clay and like it much better. After the nanoskin i use Menzerna SF4500 and a finishing pad with my Porter Cable random orbital. Follow that up with Klasse sealant glaze and i'm good for 6 months. Dealers when they deliver cars usually use a glaze that hides imperfections like swirls etc. There are plenty of those on new finishes. Nothing a little light polish and random orbital can't correct. I have been using a orbital for years and they are extremely safe. There are a ton of really good products out there. Just a matter of preference and what you like. Very rare to find them in a store though.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Deazy
I started using a nanoskin as an alternative to clay and like it much better. After the nanoskin i use Menzerna SF4500 and a finishing pad with my Porter Cable random orbital. Follow that up with Klasse sealant glaze and i'm good for 6 months. Dealers when they deliver cars usually use a glaze that hides imperfections like swirls etc. There are plenty of those on new finishes. Nothing a little light polish and random orbital can't correct. I have been using a orbital for years and they are extremely safe. There are a ton of really good products out there. Just a matter of preference and what you like. Very rare to find them in a store though.
Yes a porter cable random orbital is really safe. New base coat/clear coat paints are hard. I started with a porter cable, but i needed more power so I went to a flex orbital with powered rotation and ultimately ended up with a straight flex rotary and I haven't come close to burning any newer car paint and it gets it done much faster. When I first started I was afraid because I remembered when I buffed my dads car back in the 70's. One stage paint. Car had an amazing shine, but no paint on any of the edges!

I will also mention that my new S6 did not have any swirls in the paint even after I stripped it. Only after I got a paint chip in the hood on the 2nd day I had it. THe dealer detail guy put a blob of paint on it. I went back a few days later for him to wet sand it and buff it and he put a huge swirling hologram in the paint. I found someone else to fix and and that began my fascination with paint correction.

Last edited by thelionsden; 04-12-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

For leather interior try 'Leather in a Bottle'. It's a Zaino product.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SSSSSSIX
For leather interior try 'Leather in a Bottle'. It's a Zaino product.
+1