A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tint their windows?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone tint their windows?

Just pulled the trigger on 2011 Oolong Gray A8L with Titanium Gray interior. I wanted to get the 2012 with Audi Connect, but got too good of an offer on the 2011 to pass.

Anyone tint their windows or is that not really necessary with window shades? For those that have tinted the windows, did they have to take your door apart or take out your rear seats to do the tint?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I spoke to Matt, owner of TNT Tint in Alexandria, VA. He has very good reviews on Yelp and on various BMW and other car forums. He says that Audis in general are very difficult to tint because of all the exposed electronics. He is also of the opinion that ceramic tint is waste of money. He recommends Medico Charcool tint, which prior to today's conversation, I had never heard of. I have always used ceramic tint on all my previous vehicles. He quoted $395 for 4 side windows and rear windshield which seem slightly high for a non-ceramic tint. Anyone have any experience with this type of tint? He does offer a lifetme guarantee on his work.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xradman
I spoke to Matt, owner of TNT Tint in Alexandria, VA. He has very good reviews on Yelp and on various BMW and other car forums. He says that Audis in general are very difficult to tint because of all the exposed electronics. He is also of the opinion that ceramic tint is waste of money. He recommends Medico Charcool tint, which prior to today's conversation, I had never heard of. I have always used ceramic tint on all my previous vehicles. He quoted $395 for 4 side windows and rear windshield which seem slightly high for a non-ceramic tint. Anyone have any experience with this type of tint? He does offer a lifetme guarantee on his work.
Ive had Matt tint 4 of my BMWs and have been super happy...He does excellent work. I used the Madico charcoal on all of my cars without any issues. I'm looking to tint my new A8 and wish I still lived in the DC area...Is he still working out of Gary Martin's facility off Pickett?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Put ceramic tint on my 4 windows plus rear. I do not have side rear shades, so it wasn't an issue on the rear doors. I did go with a ceramic tint, which as you may know, is suppose to help a bit to keep out heat.

They did not have to remove rear headrests to install the tint on the rear window - inspect their work on the lower part of the rear window. It is a pain in the a&& to get to with headrests in place, so make sure they don't cut corners.

I have had zero issues with the ceramic tint interfering with electronics (or key fobs). I think it is the metallic coated tint that actually causes the problems, not the ceramic.

Best of luck. I went with 32 on the tint. It is not black-out but is sufficiently dark and I don't feel it hampers being able to see out at night very much. A 30 or less could create some issues for night vision.

Your grey vehicle is going to look very nice with the tint, good luck.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
Put ceramic tint on my 4 windows plus rear. I do not have side rear shades, so it wasn't an issue on the rear doors. I did go with a ceramic tint, which as you may know, is suppose to help a bit to keep out heat.

They did not have to remove rear headrests to install the tint on the rear window - inspect their work on the lower part of the rear window. It is a pain in the a&& to get to with headrests in place, so make sure they don't cut corners.

I have had zero issues with the ceramic tint interfering with electronics (or key fobs). I think it is the metallic coated tint that actually causes the problems, not the ceramic.

Best of luck. I went with 32 on the tint. It is not black-out but is sufficiently dark and I don't feel it hampers being able to see out at night very much. A 30 or less could create some issues for night vision.

Your grey vehicle is going to look very nice with the tint, good luck.
Thanks, do you know which brand of ceramic tint you got? My local tint shop that does tinting for the local dealer uses something called Insulatir ceramic tint by Johnson which apparently causes some issues with BMW keyless entry system and AM radio reception.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just came back from the tint shop after getting the 8 tinted. I went with the local shop (California Tint) that my local Audi dealer uses. Dave, the owner of the shop, installed Johnson Window Films InsulatIR ceramic film (IR50) on all 4 side windows and back. I was a little hesitant about installing such a light film, but it looks understated and elegant.

He said it took longer than expected because of all the dust (he shares installation bay with an auto shop). Installation took about 6 hours. He did not have to take apart the door or the rear deck. He did state that he was specially careful with moisture and installed the rear windshield tint "dry" meaning that he did not spray any water on the windshield.

So far I've had no problems with keyless entry. I will post pictures later as it started snowing pretty heavily this afternoon.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Before picture. I would have posted after pictures, but it's snowing and dark.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks great. do you notice a decrease in radio/sat/sirius/phone reception after the tints?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dcmetro
Looks great. do you notice a decrease in radio/sat/sirius/phone reception after the tints?
Nope. Everything works normally.