Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Rear Headrest DVD... Myron & Davis or Rosen

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I just investigated this option and I think I'm going down the iPad route for the reasons above. I actually have an Invision system in my current ride (BMW X5) and it works flawlessly...however it is really "fit for purpose".

A couple iPad 2's (64GB, Wifi) with headrest mounts (CoulVue) and quality bluetooth headsets (Jabra Halo) add up to way less than an installed Invision system. They are also more versatile and useful outside the vehicle. The kids can stay connected to the internet in the vehicle with a bluetooth tether from my iPhone. Other issue is they can be quickly removed to prevent theft which was always a worry with my existing system when parked in public.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

imo i think it is the best option and most practical.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea of the Ipad as I will be in this situation very soon (I hope) but I wonder about the safty of the ipad flying around if you were to hit something or get hit or roll?

I also like the fact that the headrest can just be left and not put away when you stop at the mall or something where the ipad would need to be put away, but the ipad is way more bang for buck that is for sure and can be taken with you as you said.

Tough call.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

put the ipads under the seat or in the storage bin under the cargo floor.

as far as accidents go anything in the cabin has the potential to fly around when in an accident... if you have drinks in the cup holder they will become airborn upon impact, ipods, phones, luggage in cargo area etc.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Ipad

The thought of purchasing anything today that requires a disc, DVD or Blueray seems to me like buying 8 track. Digital streaming and downloads of MP4 is where we are heading. Currently from a content standpoint iPad is the way to go. Unless you bought up Blockbuster before they all closed.

My iPad with cover fits very nicely in the door pocket. Can not be seen from people seeking opportunity. From a safety standpoint, you maybe right and that is your call.

News Headline "family killed by iPads in car crash" I couldnt resist.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

another issue if the dealer does not install the units it practically voids your warranty. you had electrical work done on the car which wasnt done by an audi dealer so they will blame anything and everything on it when given the opportunity.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Who did you use in Dallas for the installation?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrzogz
The thought of purchasing anything today that requires a disc, DVD or Blueray seems to me like buying 8 track. Digital streaming and downloads of MP4 is where we are heading. Currently from a content standpoint iPad is the way to go. Unless you bought up Blockbuster before they all closed.

My iPad with cover fits very nicely in the door pocket. Can not be seen from people seeking opportunity. From a safety standpoint, you maybe right and that is your call.

News Headline "family killed by iPads in car crash" I couldnt resist.
Agree.... forget about DVD player and fumbling with installations that might void your warranty,,,,,,, get a Ipad and be done with...... In my opinion the best Ipad holder is the following

http://toucoul.com/products/coulvue-for-ipad-2
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

iPad would be a great choice depending on the age of the child.
I decided against iPad for my 1 year old because of the following
- safety. I wanted something that's fixed in place. I have tried all different mounts and none of them would be secure enough in an accident plus a toddler would easily pull it off
- looks. I don't want to mess with cables and chargers...
- access. I can reach one hand behind and turn the DVD on without looking away from driving
With an iPad, I have to look and start the movie. Plus I have to turn it on and off each time. DVD will just turn on and resume

Again. It all depends on the age. If my son is over 4 yrs old. I would have gone with iPad so he can hold it on his lap

With rear DVDs.... I can even feed video from his iPad to the screen later via component or even AirPlay with an AppleTV

BTW.... I got it installed at CarToys.... Rosen will warranty it if purchased within few weeks of car purchase

Jeff