Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Gorilla Wheel Locks..

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla Wheel Locks..

It seems that Gorilla gets better reviews than McGard (less stripping)....does anyone use the version with the internal key that has the rotating collar around it (vs the external key)? What size for the A4? Is the size affected by the wheel choice (OZ Crono's).

I see that they also sell wheel kits that contain lugs as well as the nuts....is this essentail or can the stock lugs be left in place and just the wheel lock lug used?

Lord I wish Tirerack just had them and saved me this hassle.

TIA

mgd99
Old 05-01-2002, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Okay, not sure which locks are the internal key; have never seen those, but here's some answers...

The size does depend on the wheels used, and not just the vehicle. For instance, the diameter of the lug bolt is vehicle dependent, but the length of the bolt can be different for different wheels. For instance, my BBS Wheels take a longer set of lug bolts than the stock Avus wheels use (I use Gorillas on my BBS, but have McGuard on my Avus). As for why you would want to get a set of 20 lugs bolts with 4 wheel locks, versus just a set of locks; here's the reasoning:

If you have wheels with covered lugs (like the Avus wheels that contain a center cap), then just get the set of four locks; you won't car if they don't match the regular lug bolts because they're covered by the cap. However, if you have a set of wheels where the bolts show, what's nice about the Gorillas is that you can get a full set of 20 bolts (4 per wheel) and 4 locks (one per wheel) and they will match; meaning the lock will look the same as the bolts from the outside.

As for sizing, I'd check with the place where you purchased your wheels; they should know what size bolts you need.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:43 PM

compare to RAD, you will be happy you did...RAD is just super.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ted Re: Okay, not sure which locks are the

Ted

Look at this link. http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=688

These have a sleeve around the key so that you can't fit a wrench around them (as opposed to the type with the key exposed). The sleeve rotates if you try to use a vice-grip on it. These are the wheel locks....according to Gorilla's catalog, the others are called lug locks.

And you'll notice that they also come with the bolt itself. I am hoping that I don't need to thread 5 new bolts into each axle before placing the wheel on and using the lug nut and wheel lock.

I was trying to figure out which you used since you liked them so much. (I have no idea what RAD is...fromt he previous post)

I have the wheels and tires arriving from TireRack tomorrow. They were out of all locks (I don't know if they had Gorilla's). I figured I'd call them tomorrow, but thought if I had independent info I could weigh it against their recommendations.

Thanks for the input. I wanna keep these wheels safe.

Mark
Old 05-01-2002, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default are you sure those are for lug bolts? (not lug nuts)

I was looking around for something with a rotating sleeve, and only found one (which was out of stock and hard to find). Although if you convert to studs and use a locking lug nut, I suppose you could do it that way too.

Looked at Gorilla's catalog, and those are only listed as being lug nuts, not lug bolts (page 28)
Old 05-01-2002, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes it does matter on wheel choice. Seats can be conical, ball, or flat; plus depths will vary.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You want lug bolts (like pg 13 in Gorilla cat.), but I'm not finding a distributor that actually...

stocks them. Discount Tire stores carry Gorilla, but I can't find any that have bolts in stock (it's just we European cars that are configured that way).
RAD is another brand option, but the email address "Barney Fife" gave me just bounces back to me as undeliverable.

I understand your frustration, as I have new wheels and tires sitting here now, but I work in an area where car theft is rampant (I got the plates stolen off my car the other day!) and I know they wouldn't last a week if any idiot with a lug wrench could take them off in five minutes.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Also, wouldn't one of those "Gator Grip" things they sell on TV fit most irregular shaped locks?
Old 05-01-2002, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Called Gorilla today

Don't know how reliable the info they gave me was, but they said the "wheel locks" which have the rotating collar (I believe pg24 of catalog) are the newest version (older ones have no collar and the key portion is external). Nothing will get those off without the key as far as I can tell. (I looked at the RAD's, but I don't like the external key...seems there will be a way to beat them...or they will strip at some point)

As for the threaded lug bolts, those are for cars that don't have a matching thread pattern or for cars where the stock bolt is too short with the new wheel (according to Gorilla)

I'm in CT, and Discount tire isn't out here. Gorilla said Sears Automotive carries them and Town Fair Tire (a regional chain) told me they have them. Wheels arrive tomorrow and I am taking one with me to shop for the Gorilla's.

I can guarantee you that if I don't put something good on these, they will be gone in a month.

Mark
Old 05-01-2002, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default umm

so the wheel locks with the rotating collar are still lug <b>nuts</b>, not lug <b>bolts</b>? Or does your car use lug nuts? (not sure if it's different on other model Audis)

Quick Reply: Gorilla Wheel Locks..