Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Xpel over LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel over LED headlights

Is it safe to have a clear bra installed over the LED headlights. The car goes in to have have Xpel ultimate installed in the morning and I would like to have the lights protected as well. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

safe? idk
but i have it on my light.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dshady
Is it safe to have a clear bra installed over the LED headlights.
It is safe and it's a good idea.

In my area, the county uses grit and salt in the winter. After a few years the windshield is pitted which makes it hard driving into the sun. I'm planning on headlights, windshield and everything facing forward to be covered.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

xpel says yes, but IIRC it is against federal law (DOT lighting standards) and many state laws to place any "cover" or lens in front of the headlights.

Safe in terms of how well you can see or blind traffic? Probably.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

It's perfectly fine (and legal) to have a clear film on your headlight lenses. I have Xpel over my LEDs for over a year now and all is well.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's what I needed to hear. I'm having the full front end, mirror caps, door edges, and trunk loading area covered. That should do it I hope. Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's what I needed to hear. I'm having the full front end, mirror caps, door edges, and trunk loading area covered. That should do it I hope. Thanks for the quick responses.
Don't forget the A pillars and I also had the rocker panels done. Also, be sure they wrap the edges on the hood and fenders to avoid obvious seams. Finally, consider adding a permanent Opti-Coat Pro application which will prevent UV and environmental damage to the film and the rest of the car's clearcoat and wheels - no waxing or film protectant needed. Then, you'll be all set.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Don't forget the A pillars and I also had the rocker panels done. Also, be sure they wrap the edges on the hood and fenders to avoid obvious seams. Finally, consider adding a permanent Opti-Coat Pro application which will prevent UV and environmental damage to the film and the rest of the car's clearcoat and wheels - no waxing or film protectant needed. Then, you'll be all set.
I had the opti-coat done right after I bought the car but I may have him cover the xpel or just try it myself. I will skip the a pillars and leading edge of the roof as I don't like the edges showing. That's the only reason I'm not going with the partial. My cars previous to this one look great except front bumper and the leading edge of the hood.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I had the opti-coat done right after I bought the car but I may have him cover the xpel or just try it myself. I will skip the a pillars and leading edge of the roof as I don't like the edges showing. That's the only reason I'm not going with the partial. My cars previous to this one look great except front bumper and the leading edge of the hood.
He's going to have to remove the Opti-Coat with a rotary in the prep before applying the film or it won't adhere properly. I forgot the A pillars on the first Xpel pass and got two paint dings there. Had them add those afterward when in for the Opti-Coat (but no leading edge roof application). The seams on top of the A-pillars are so small and narrow you won't notice them unless you get really, really close.

Keep in mind the DIY consumer version of the Opti-Coat (2.0) is a thinner material than the Opti-Coat Pro the detailers use. You can check the spec differences on Optimum's website.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

You can order pre-cut headlight protection film from XPel and install it yourself.

I did this on my S6 and my wife's A8. It was very easy.

You just need some rubbing alcohol, a spray bottle, and a heat gun. XPel gives you the film and the plastic squeegie.

Quick Reply: Xpel over LED headlights