A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Replica wheels don't fit! What to do??

Old 07-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replica wheels don't fit! What to do??

I bought a set of 4 replica wheels from a website and I went to have them installed, but the tire store told me that I need some sort of a spacer for the replicas because without that, the wheels will only be supported by the lugs and that could cause a vibration.

Can someone help me understand what exactly I need and where I can get something like this?

They said that the wheel manufacturer should've provided me with the spacer, but they did not.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

they said something about the "Hub bore" is WAY too wide and that there needs to be some sort of spacer to wrap around it to create a tighter fit.

Please help! Any input would be great!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jmillerau
they said something about the "Hub bore" is WAY too wide and that there needs to be some sort of spacer to wrap around it to create a tighter fit.

Please help! Any input would be great!
ur missing the hubcentric rings should be supplied by rim retailer..they will need ur car info to provide correct ones
Old 07-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've heard from some reviews that hubcentric rings can cause vibrations??

are there any kinds that are better than others??
Old 07-31-2011, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by minicorrado
ur missing the hubcentric rings should be supplied by rim retailer..they will need ur car info to provide correct ones
2nd...You need the hubcentric rings. Call the rim supplier and they should mail you a set. THey should have come with the rims if you told them what car they were going on.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmillerau
I've heard from some reviews that hubcentric rings can cause vibrations??

are there any kinds that are better than others??
Not to my knowledge- I've had several different types of generic plastic hubcentric rings on my car and never had a problem.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wheels are centered on the axle by two methods:

Hub centric - where the center bore of the wheel fits over the flange on the hub. Many wheel manufacturers will manufacture their wheels with the center bores oversized to fit different applications. Centering or hub centric rings are then used to fit the wheels to specific applications, since not all vehicles have the same center bore diameter.

Lug centric - where the center bore of the wheel is significantly oversized and not intended to center the wheel on the hub. The lug nuts, typically cone seats or ball seats, are used to center the wheel on the axle. Lug centric wheels are usually found on SUVs and trucks.

Hub centric is preferred over lug centric centering, but just because a lug centric wheel is used does not mean vibration will occur. Proper tightening of the wheels, however, is critical to ensure a vibration free ride. This means using a torque wrench in a alternating cross pattern, with the wheel off the ground so that the wheel can be centered by the lugs .

Just an FYI, I have aftermarket lug centric wheels on GMC YukonXL without any vibration issues.

So in conclusion, contact the wheel manufacturer or retailer to get the hub centric rings for your application. If none exist, don't sweat it, mount up the wheels as I indicated above, and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the risk of buying wheels online, compared to going to a physical store. You may end up with more problems.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if u r certain that u have the same bolt patter (5x112) then u only need a set of 4 hub rings... they r inexpensive $15 or so

i have the ones from ECS tuning ... no vibrations