Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 EPC Light/Gearbox Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 EPC Light/Gearbox Malfunction

Driving my 2010 A5 2.0T today. At a red light the car started vibrating and idling very roughly. Seemed to get better for a few miles, then problem resumed. After a few minutes the EPC yellow warning light came on, car ran rough, in what I think I have seen called "limp mode". A message appeared on the dash saying "Gearbox Malfunction - OK to continue driving, Limited Functionality" or something like that. Made it home, this happened fairly close to home. Car just went out of warranty in February, has only 38,000 miles on it. I was reading some forum posts, seems like maybe it could be a "speed sensor" problem? I will bring to my indy mechanic and have him pull codes, etc. Any thoughts before I can do this? I am a new owner of this car, and am having nightmares about having to pay a fortune to get it fixed! Any help will be appreciated!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by badlanders
Driving my 2010 A5 2.0T today. At a red light the car started vibrating and idling very roughly. Seemed to get better for a few miles, then problem resumed. After a few minutes the EPC yellow warning light came on, car ran rough, in what I think I have seen called "limp mode". A message appeared on the dash saying "Gearbox Malfunction - OK to continue driving, Limited Functionality" or something like that. Made it home, this happened fairly close to home. Car just went out of warranty in February, has only 38,000 miles on it. I was reading some forum posts, seems like maybe it could be a "speed sensor" problem? I will bring to my indy mechanic and have him pull codes, etc. Any thoughts before I can do this? I am a new owner of this car, and am having nightmares about having to pay a fortune to get it fixed! Any help will be appreciated!
I had a similar experience on my 2011 A5 6mt at 34k. Car started shaking violently and pulled off the road. EPC came on and was solid, not blinking (which according to Audi is 'don't drive another inch' warning' ). Restarted car and it was drivable but slow and vibrated when accelerating. Car was due for 35k service under Audicare so I brought it in. There is a service bulletin for the A5 2.0 re the ignition coils - meaning they suck and are to be replaced when the car is brought in. One of mine had blown and they replaced all 4 under warranty. Don't know what it would cost otherwise but surely not cheap. If there was a service bulletin maybe they will fix it for nothing.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, theblackhand. Did you also get a warning about the gearbox malfunction? That is what really $cares me! Tried to find someone qualified to look at it today, the closest thing I could find that was open around here was a VW dealership, and they said they couldn't diagnose Audi's that were "that new"... So I will just have to wait and wonder, hope to find a honest and knowledgeable and qualified mechanic here in the Denver area. I have not had to service the car yet since I have owned it. Haven't heard a lot of positive things about the Audi dealers in the area. Going to try a couple local German auto independents here that I have at least read good reviews about and hope for the best. If they want big $, I will probably try and get at least one "second opinion" before operating...
Old 04-14-2014, 03:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by badlanders
Thanks, theblackhand. Did you also get a warning about the gearbox malfunction? That is what really $cares me! Tried to find someone qualified to look at it today, the closest thing I could find that was open around here was a VW dealership, and they said they couldn't diagnose Audi's that were "that new"... So I will just have to wait and wonder, hope to find a honest and knowledgeable and qualified mechanic here in the Denver area. I have not had to service the car yet since I have owned it. Haven't heard a lot of positive things about the Audi dealers in the area. Going to try a couple local German auto independents here that I have at least read good reviews about and hope for the best. If they want big $, I will probably try and get at least one "second opinion" before operating...
No I didn't get any gearbox warning light. I had a separate issue with the transmission throw bearing (heard a clunk when shifting into first) that the dealership diagnosed and fixed under warranty (otherwise 2k to fix) at the 35k service. My experience with the Audi dealer here in CT has been very good. I wouldn't waste time with these indie guys if you have a local Audi dealer. If you don't have a warranty you might as well get it done right and they may take care if of it gratis if the issue is known.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Took it in to independent shop just to have him pull codes as they are close.
Car drove fine on the way there and back, only light on was check engine.
He pulled the following codes:
P2271 System Too Rich
P119A Fuel Pressure Sensor
P0087 Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low
P2237 Pump Current Open Ciruit
P0303 Cylinder 1 misfire
P130A Cylinder Disabling
P0300 Cylindir Misfire Random/Mnt
P2188 System too rich at idle

He said with all those codes it is hard to pinpoint what caused the issues I experienced on Friday. He cleared all the codes after writing them down for me, and said to just watch for the lights to come back on, when and if they do, he will pull codes again and see what comes up. Does this make sense to follow this suggestion?
Thanks!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The shop I took it to said the issue was a fuel injector port that was stuck open. Replaced it, seems to be running much better. Approx cost $500...
Old 08-23-2016, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default EPC error and car won't start!!

Hi,

I own Audi A5 2.0 TFSI quattro, the car has been popping EPC error.
The car won't start.

I did the battery test and the voltage are relatively okay at 12V.
I took for scanning at one service provider and they say it's an alternator problem.

This has happened few times already. Please help?

Regards,
Patrick