Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Advice for first timer ordering Q5 through dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for first timer ordering Q5 through dealer

Hello everyone! I've really enjoyed reading through this forum as I've been making my decision on my new SUV. I've had a Toyota Highlander for 12 years (195K miles) and ready for some more luxury! I've test driven a 3.0 2013 Q5 and LOVED it. I'm going to a local dealer on Monday night to test drive the TDI.

Assuming I like the TDI as much as I think I will, I'll be doing a Prestige TDI in Scuba Blue. Those don't exist on any lots from what I've seen, so I'm going to have to custom order. This will be the first time I've ever ordered a vehicle though a dealer, so I have several questions. Would greatly appreciated any feedback, thanks!

1. Using the AudiUSA website build, the cost for my Q5 comes out to $59,800. That's MSRP, right? From what I've read, I should be able to talk them down at least a percent or two from that. Tons of audi dealerships in the Bay Area, so easy enough to threaten to walk.

2. When you order it, do you fully commit to financing? Or just a deposit and then the financing is all figured out when the car is delivered?

3. Any gotchas to watch out for? Any advice for the haggling?

Thanks!

BDA
Old 04-04-2014, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ballardthedome
1. Using the AudiUSA website build, the cost for my Q5 comes out to $59,800. That's MSRP, right? From what I've read, I should be able to talk them down at least a percent or two from that. Tons of audi dealerships in the Bay Area, so easy enough to threaten to walk.
Check out KBB or Edmunds for what they deem as a fair price for your area.

2. When you order it, do you fully commit to financing? Or just a deposit and then the financing is all figured out when the car is delivered?
I think most dealers will want a deposit. I recently bought a car through cartelligent and the guy told me that in CA (I'm in the bay area as well) are fully refundable. I ended up ordering a car through cartelligent and didn't have to put down a deposit. Financing usually happens when the car arrives. Do some leg work on your own to find the best rate. My dealer was offering me 3.8% which was significantly higher than what I was able to get on my own (2.18%). I think PenFed is offering 1.9% right now.

3. Any gotchas to watch out for? Any advice for the haggling?
Knowing what other's paid in your area and what invoice price is, you'll be in a better position to haggle. Personally I hate that part of buying a car so I went with Cartelligent. I got a pretty decent price on my other car.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

check to see if you qualify for any discounts. i got Supplier (6% off MSRP) through my employer. though pricing/financing is usually not finalized at time of order, my salesman, for whatever reason, did notate this discount when he wrote up my order.

or, you can always join ACNA and get 6% off MSRP, but you have to be a member for 6 months as of the time of delivery to get that. your ordered car will probably arrive within 4 months. however, paying for a lifetime ACNA membership waives the 6 month wait.

edited to add: my dealership did require a small deposit. this deposit seems to vary by dealer. when i called around to the bay area dealers, i was told $1000 all the way up to 10% of MSRP for deposit.

Last edited by sq5me; 04-04-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you think about European Delivery?
http://wiki.audiworld.com/index.php/ED_Summary
Old 04-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think you should be able to haggle at least 3% off MSRP no problem. Most dealers will require a deposit. I know in VA it's not refundable if you have a change of heart and back out of the deal before the car gets here. It can be anywhere between $1000 to 10% of negotiated price. I highly recommend you push for only a $1000 to $1500 deposit...just in case you have a change of heart, it won't be a huge hit to you.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to get close to 6% off MSRP. Tell the dealer you want to see the invoice price and pay close to that.

Financing can be locked in at the time of order or you can do it when the car comes. depends how worried you are about the rates jumping.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I two have been looking for my first Audi purchase on an SQ5. I live in the DC metro area, and I have been able to get pricing consistently at 4% across local dealers. I bought my Audi Club membership just recently so I have a while to wait if I want the full 6%, I haven't decided if the extra $1250 is worth the wait. I would think a haggle could get them to go to 5%.

I figure if I am going to wait another 4-5 months I might as we'll wait for the MY15 order sheet to come out in May.

To the poster that mentioned the employer discount, is there a database to look this up?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by acadapter
I two have been looking for my first Audi purchase on an SQ5. I live in the DC metro area, and I have been able to get pricing consistently at 4% across local dealers. I bought my Audi Club membership just recently so I have a while to wait if I want the full 6%, I haven't decided if the extra $1250 is worth the wait. I would think a haggle could get them to go to 5%.

I figure if I am going to wait another 4-5 months I might as we'll wait for the MY15 order sheet to come out in May.

To the poster that mentioned the employer discount, is there a database to look this up?
Dealers are reimbursed by Audi 2% of the 6% ACNA or Supplier discount so your dealer is currently offering you the same 4% discount he would be absorbing with the programs.

There is no current list for the Audi Supplier partners that I'm aware of. You would have to check with your employer's HR dept.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check out this site:
http://www.oregonaudi.com/audi-supplier-program
I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it's a good place to start.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by acadapter
check with your HR dept. i had no clue i qualified for this . thankfully my salesman, while writing up my order, asked where i worked, and knew that my employer was part of the program . interestingly, the only makes that are listed on my employer's page are Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, and Audi.

Quick Reply: Advice for first timer ordering Q5 through dealer