S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

OptiCoat on my S6

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If you're serious about protecting against rock chips, consider doing a full front Xpel Ultimate install. Then, a full car application of Opti-Coat Pro tp protect the finish against environmental damage. Both will last for a long time. The best "mods" I ever did on a new car.
Yeah, I guess I got worried when hearing that films should be replaced so quickly. Truth be told, I'm unlikely to do that, so I guess getting the longest life film is the right answer [ETA: Is there a good "3M vs Xpel" somewhere?]

I really like the sound of Opti-Coat, so I guess I'll put that into my plan as well.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Yeah, I guess I got worried when hearing that films should be replaced so quickly. Truth be told, I'm unlikely to do that, so I guess getting the longest life film is the right answer [ETA: Is there a good "3M vs Xpel" somewhere?]

I really like the sound of Opti-Coat, so I guess I'll put that into my plan as well.

Thanks!
I'm sure you could search or Google for comparisons with other films but I can tell you that after a great deal of research beforehand, I found that the Ultimate has no peer due to it's unique, thicker, self-healing properties and built-in clearcoat. Even the the other Xpel films are not in the same class. Be prepared to spend at least 50% more than typical films though. A full front with wrapped edge on hood and fenders, bumper, mirrors, "A" pillars and rocker panels ran me $1500 (plus $300 for the Opti-Coat Pro done a few months later). Still a lot less expensive than one or two of paint jobs on the front end over the years. I'm definitely a shameless poster child for this stuff.

Here's one of their demo videos:
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T6oEgfdwUU0?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

And here's a water test with Opti-Coat Pro:
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CbLl9vpTyvw?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm sure you could search or Google for comparisons with other films but I can tell you that after a great deal of research beforehand, I found that the Ultimate has no peer due to it's unique, thicker, self-healing properties and built-in clearcoat. Even the the other Xpel films are not in the same class. Be prepared to spend at least 50% more than typical films though. A full front with wrapped edge on hood and fenders, bumper, mirrors, "A" pillars and rocker panels ran me $1500 (plus $300 for the Opti-Coat Pro done a few months later). Still a lot less expensive than one or two of paint jobs on the front end over the years. I'm definitely a shameless poster child for this stuff.
I guess I'm slightly confused on how Xpel Ultimate can self-heal if it's covered with Opti-Coat? Each product appeals to me in its own way, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough (yet?) to see how they can play together

I've got many months to figure it out, but patience isn't exactly my strong suit!

I do very much appreciate the personal experience and price guidelines - gives me both a budgetary number and an idea of whether I'm being overcharged or undercharged. Poster children are awesome when you want to know about the product!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would just like to throw in my experience with Opti-Coat. I got the 2.0 which at the time I was told was the same as the Opti-Coat Pro. I now know they are not the same thing. Opti-Coat Pro provides a thicker layer and cures quicker so it might be better. Unfortunately despite the Opti-Coat 2.0 I have developed terrible swirls in my estoril blue paint with 6 months of application. This is with me hand washing my car with the two bucket method and always being careful with the paint. In my opinion, the Opti-Coat has literally done nothing to protect my paint. I am currently in the process of filing a warranty claim with them. They do have a good warranty if you use one of their authorized dealers. However, they prefer to do a correction and reapplication.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
I would just like to throw in my experience with Opti-Coat. I got the 2.0 which at the time I was told was the same as the Opti-Coat Pro. I now know they are not the same thing. Opti-Coat Pro provides a thicker layer and cures quicker so it might be better. Unfortunately despite the Opti-Coat 2.0 I have developed terrible swirls in my estoril blue paint with 6 months of application. This is with me hand washing my car with the two bucket method and always being careful with the paint. In my opinion, the Opti-Coat has literally done nothing to protect my paint. I am currently in the process of filing a warranty claim with them. They do have a good warranty if you use one of their authorized dealers. However, they prefer to do a correction and reapplication.
Correct, Opti-Coat Pro is a thicker product for use only by installers. The 2.0 is the consumer DIY product; if you used an installer, they should have used the Pro version. It's worth noting that Opti-coat is not marketed to prevent man made swirls or scratches (as Xpel Ultimate film would) but is designed to avoid scratching/etching damage from environmental causes, i.e. UV paint fade, bird droppings, insects and other contaminants.

From their website:
"Opti-Coat is a hard wearing, aftermarket, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H) and chemical etching from environmental impacts. It provides permanent protection for all factory paints, and can also be applied to exterior glass, metal and hard plastic surfaces."
http://opti-coat.com/

Nevertheless, the Pro version can help a bit due the thicker material if properly applied by an experienced installer.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Correct, Opti-Coat Pro is a thicker product for use only by installers. The 2.0 is the consumer DIY product; if you used an installer, they should have used the Pro version. It's worth noting that Opti-coat is not marketed to prevent man made swirls or scratches (as Xpel Ultimate film would) but is designed to avoid scratching/etching damage from environmental causes, i.e. UV paint fade, bird droppings, insects and other contaminants.

From their website:
"Opti-Coat is a hard wearing, aftermarket, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H) and chemical etching from environmental impacts. It provides permanent protection for all factory paints, and can also be applied to exterior glass, metal and hard plastic surfaces."
http://opti-coat.com/

Nevertheless, the Pro version can help a bit due the thicker material if properly applied by an experienced installer.
I'm familiar with what their website said but had talked to other people who had it installed and what their results were. Optimum also said that it would protect from swirls as well. Either way, they are standing by their product so I'm not going to bash it.

From here I'm just not the best way to go. Not really eager to get my whole car wrapped in Xpel...
Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
I guess I'm slightly confused on how Xpel Ultimate can self-heal if it's covered with Opti-Coat? Each product appeals to me in its own way, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough (yet?) to see how they can play together
Opti-Coat is not like a football helmet-like, hard shell cocoon surrounding a car designed to resist physical damage. It's has a somewhat flexible property designed to go over all surfaces of the car, including film, to prevent airborne damage. The Opti-Coat will flex to accommodate the Ultimate's self-healing. I've done the Xpel scratch test as shown in the video myself and after healing, the water sheets off as before due to the Opti-Coat.
Keep in mind, there's also going to be some normal, minor body flexing anyway when driving. Also, hot and cold temps can affect the body panels slightly. Opti-Coat is designed to accommodate these conditions without becoming itself damaged.

I view the two working together like this:
Xpel Ultimate - prevents paint chipping damage from typical road debris
Opti-Coat Pro - prevents paint damage from environmental causes

Last edited by snagitseven; 01-16-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm familiar with what their website said but had talked to other people who had it installed and what their results were. Optimum also said that it would protect from swirls as well. Either way, they are standing by their product so I'm not going to bash it.

From here I'm just not the best way to go. Not really eager to get my whole car wrapped in Xpel...
Glad to hear they are working with you - I've found both Optimum and Xpel to be great companies to work with. Hopefully, you'll be happier with the reapplication, particularly if you're getting the Opti-Coat Pro version this time around.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with the low quality image here on the site, I can see how nice the paint looks, beautiful car! With the clear-bra and the opti-coat it should look just as beautiful for many years to come, great job.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I am currently in the process of filing a warranty claim with them. They do have a good warranty if you use one of their authorized dealers. However, they prefer to do a correction and reapplication.
Whatever happened with this? Did you accept the reapplication or go a different route?

TIA!