S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

OptiCoat on my S6

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, I've got OptiCoat on two cars and Cquartz on a 3rd. The OptiCoated cars can go weeks without being washed and still look very decent. It helps ease my mind a bit with all the New England filth we have to deal with during the cold months. I find that the Cquartz is somewhat glossier than the OC, but it doesn't stay as clean looking over the course of a week or two. Each product has its virtues and vices...
Old 01-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
I am honestly a bit dissappointed in Opti-Coat. My detailer swears by it, and he does amazing work so I was really expecting great things. My primary complaint is that I don't seem to notice too much "dirt resistantance" effect.

For example, I can see an enormous difference in my wheels' resistance to brake dust when I have recently applied Armor All wheel protectant. With it freshly applied, I can get my wheels clean very easily with a light misting of Sonax and the hose. However, if I go awhile without applying it, brake dust is noticably "stickier". Its this effect that leads me to believe that the Opti-Coat isn't doing as much as I had hoped, if the wheels are that much easier to clean only by use of an additional product.

For the $300 or however much it was to apply (not 100% sure, I received a full detail, Opti-Coat and clear bra done all at once), I was hoping for more. My $0.02.
Dang that's a good price. I was told $595 just for opti-coat pro and if I did the xpel clear bra it would be $1000 more. Are they trying to take me for my money??? I'm in California btw not sure if that would make much of a difference
Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bigpimpin907
Dang that's a good price. I was told $595 just for opti-coat pro and if I did the xpel clear bra it would be $1000 more. Are they trying to take me for my money??? I'm in California btw not sure if that would make much of a difference
That is pretty steep. I paid around $350 but again I am in Florida and not Cali so don't know how much more it would be in your area. I don't remember the exact quote for the Xpel but it was no where $1000 for just the bra.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
That is pretty steep. I paid around $350 but again I am in Florida and not Cali so don't know how much more it would be in your area. I don't remember the exact quote for the Xpel but it was no where $1000 for just the bra.
Ya. I got quotes for like products for opti-coat for $300 but never heard of any of them. Heard so many good thing about opti so that's what I've been shopping around for. As far as the xpel it covers front bumper, partial hood, lights, and side view mirrors, and fenders for $675. At the place who offers the opti quoted me for $2000 or something. Crazy. Not sure if they just do it because I'm a girl.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Worth a 2hr drive for installation?

How long does installation take? It looks like there are exactly two authorized installers in all of Colorado, so I'd be looking at a 2hr drive each way plus however long they need for prep and installation....

Prices seem way better than what Bigpimpin907 is being quoted: http://www.coloradodetail.com/services.php but I'm still not sure this is the right fit for me. I'm super lazy about car cleaning, so wash-off is attractive, but I think I want a clearbra - and now I'm understanding they should be replaced every 3-5 years, which seems inconsistent with using Opti-Coat.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
How long does installation take? It looks like there are exactly two authorized installers in all of Colorado, so I'd be looking at a 2hr drive each way plus however long they need for prep and installation....

Prices seem way better than what Bigpimpin907 is being quoted: http://www.coloradodetail.com/services.php but I'm still not sure this is the right fit for me. I'm super lazy about car cleaning, so wash-off is attractive, but I think I want a clearbra - and now I'm understanding they should be replaced every 3-5 years, which seems inconsistent with using Opti-Coat.

It takes an experienced installer about 2-3 hours to properly prep the car and apply Opti-Coat Pro. Re paint protection film, Xpel Ultimate will last for many, many years if it's maintained; Xpel has a 10 years parts and labor warranty on the Ultimate. Opti-coat will extend it's life even further by preventing environmental damage to the film as well as the rest of the car's finish.
If you're considering film (a really good idea if you hate rock chip measles), have it installed before the Opti-Coat. Since Xpel Ultimate has a built-in clearcoat like the car's paint, you can use any non-abrasive protection over it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It takes an experienced installer about 2-3 hours to properly prep the car and apply Opti-Coat Pro. Re paint protection film, Xpel Ultimate will last for many, many years if it's maintained; Xpel has a 10 years parts and labor warranty on the Ultimate. Opti-coat will extend it's life even further by preventing environmental damage to the film as well as the rest of the car's finish.
If you're considering film (a really good idea if you hate rock chip measles), have it installed before the Opti-Coat. Since Xpel Ultimate has a built-in clearcoat like the car's paint, you can use any non-abrasive protection over it.
All I've been doing is calling a bunch of installers and detailers today to get better quotes. I found one who would do it for $500 for opti-coat pro. He also mentioned ceramic pro. Have you heard of this product? Or of Gtechniq, C1,CQ, 22ple?

Also, the detailer told me I should try the coat out then decide on doing a clear bra. I've just heard so many different things I'm not quite sure who is telling me the truth now.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Great info, thanks! So what "maintenance" would be involved with the Xpel Ultimate - presumably "none" once covered with Opti-Coat? What about if not doing that?

My current clearbra looks like crap - it's admittedly been 12+ years, and I'm sure it wasn't "maintained" or even if there was such a recommendation back then. I'd really like to keep the next car for at least as long as this one, so I'm looking in the 15+ year timeframe...

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Richard,
Normal mainentance on the Ultimate would be either using Opti-Coat's own sealer and or wax as used on the rest of the car. (Nothing abrasive or containing naptha, though). Opti-Coat doesn't really need wax on the film or the car's clearcoat - it will maintain the shine indefinitely. The only thing I do once in awhile is use Optimum Spray Wax if I want a slick feel. It's really overkill and not necessary though, just mental as the Opti-coat doesn't have the slick feel like a wax - it just looks glossy like it's been waxed all the time (when clean of course). Also, wax will not last as long on Opti-Coat due to its ability to shed water and contaminants.

If you're serious about protecting against rock chips, consider doing a full front Xpel Ultimate install. Then, a full car application of Opti-Coat Pro tp protect the finish against environmental damage. Both will last for a long time. The best "mods" I ever did on a new car.

Incidentally, my car was covered in muck from the salt, sand and road deicing chemicals from the past snow storm. It turned to 55 degrees but I was lazy so took it to my touchless car wash nearby and it came out looking like I had just waxed it. Also, not one rock chip anywhere to be seen despite the road crud that had continually sprayed from other cars and trucks on the interstate after the storm.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bigpimpin907
All I've been doing is calling a bunch of installers and detailers today to get better quotes. I found one who would do it for $500 for opti-coat pro. He also mentioned ceramic pro. Have you heard of this product? Or of Gtechniq, C1,CQ, 22ple?

Also, the detailer told me I should try the coat out then decide on doing a clear bra. I've just heard so many different things I'm not quite sure who is telling me the truth now.
Re the other products, I pretty much answered the same question you asked on the Q5 forum.

Depending on your location, $300-$500 is about right for a full Opti-Coat Pro install. If you're going to get Xpel Ultimate film, you want to have it done first, then the Opti-Coat so the film is also protected. (The Ultimate has it's own clearcoat like the car's paint). I can't speak to other lesser films.
Also see my recent posts addressed to Richard.

Quick Reply: OptiCoat on my S6