A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

OBD Connection Failure

Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMick
They are in parallel, so if you can get just one to work you would know your wiring and scanner is OK.

Have you checked to see if you have continuity between the OBD port and any of the modules?

Thanks for the lead you've given me here, would you be able to point me on a spec sheet? Basically something to go on with info. I got this pin out from the ross-tech site (on the bottom). Maybe possible readings and procedures. Thanks.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ruckus1027
Thanks for the lead you've given me here, would you be able to point me on a spec sheet? Basically something to go on with info. I got this pin out from the ross-tech site (on the bottom). Maybe possible readings and procedures. Thanks.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html
You need a Bentley manual. I would check continuity between K line on the OBDII connector and either the radio or the climate control.

F K -line is Plug III pin 3. So unplug the radio stick your meter probe in that pin in the lradio oom and the other test wire in pin 7 of the OBDII connector.

Measure ohms, should be close to zero.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You need a Bentley manual. I would check continuity between K line on the OBDII connector and either the radio or the climate control.

F K -line is Plug III pin 3. So unplug the radio stick your meter probe in that pin in the lradio oom and the other test wire in pin 7 of the OBDII connector.

Measure ohms, should be close to zero.
Yeah I know the Bentley manual would be awesome, but don't have one yet.

Checked the radio harness Kline for continuity, and got .4/.5 reading. Is that fairly close? (note: had to use a little metal piece to stick into the obd pin 7) The .4 resistance could be due to that?

As for the climate control, I've been searching for awhile and could not find a wiring pin out for the harness. (except for a post you've written a while back saying that it is the purple wire). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are there any pdf version of the manual for fr**? (not sure if this is against forum rules)
Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

AudiMick

I did some more searching, and decided to widen my search. Although my car seem stock and all, there have been many owners before me. I read somewhere of chipped ecus causing no communication with obd. Could this be possible and is there a way of checking this visually of the ecu?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

AudiMick,

I finally made headway. I disconnected the harnesses to the radio and climate control unit. Decided to try and connect the obd reader; no link (key on engine off). I decided to try and scan with key off and was able to make connection (p0411 code). Tried the connection again with the key on; no link. Could have possibly been able to connect all along just as long as the key was off >.<

Well, (P0411 SAIC incorrect flow detected) I've kinda looked up this error code. What I am more interested in is why I was only able to connect with the obd in this manner. I have always thought the car must be in the key on position to connect with the OBD.

I feel that this may be the symptom that could crack the case wide open, since I feel this symptom is way too peculiar (correct me if I am wrong though).

As for the code, a lot of what I've read was as simple as the vac lines to the EGR. So I'll check those first. Thank you so much for the help, I just need a little more lol.

Louis
Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ruckus1027
AudiMick,

I finally made headway. I disconnected the harnesses to the radio and climate control unit. Decided to try and connect the obd reader; no link (key on engine off). I decided to try and scan with key off and was able to make connection (p0411 code). Tried the connection again with the key on; no link. Could have possibly been able to connect all along just as long as the key was off >.<

Well, (P0411 SAIC incorrect flow detected) I've kinda looked up this error code. What I am more interested in is why I was only able to connect with the obd in this manner. I have always thought the car must be in the key on position to connect with the OBD.

I feel that this may be the symptom that could crack the case wide open, since I feel this symptom is way too peculiar (correct me if I am wrong though).

As for the code, a lot of what I've read was as simple as the vac lines to the EGR. So I'll check those first. Thank you so much for the help, I just need a little more lol.

Louis

Well at least you know it should work, so we are back to one of the modules blocking communication.

The resistance you measured is fine > 1 ohm that just the resistance of the wire.

There is no EGR on your car, so that could be bogus. Vag.com would probably give you the correct code.

There is a Secondary air injection pump, I have heard of the relay for these shorting out and thus running when the ignition is off (drains the battery eventually ) that could be why you are able to see that error.

See if you can reach the pump and feel if it's running. You might also unplug it , is it interfering with the other modules?

Anything is possible with a flashed or chipped ECU. If it's flashed you won't be able to see it's not stock. If it's a soldered chip maybe.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well at least you know it should work, so we are back to one of the modules blocking communication.

The resistance you measured is fine > 1 ohm that just the resistance of the wire.

There is no EGR on your car, so that could be bogus. Vag.com would probably give you the correct code.

There is a Secondary air injection pump, I have heard of the relay for these shorting out and thus running when the ignition is off (drains the battery eventually ) that could be why you are able to see that error.

See if you can reach the pump and feel if it's running. You might also unplug it , is it interfering with the other modules?

Anything is possible with a flashed or chipped ECU. If it's flashed you won't be able to see it's not stock. If it's a soldered chip maybe.
About the code, I misspoke, I looked at the first thread I found and they said egr. However, upon looking into it more, it is related to the SAI. I looked at the manual for the code reader, it too said SAI. I don't believe it is the air pump itself. It could be one of the vac lines. I looked at the schematics for the system, and did a quick look at my car I noticed a pretty tethered vac line.

However, I'd like to go back to the obd communication failure. It came back this morning. After I made connection last night, I left the car in the garage (I never started it let alone turn the key on). I tried again to do a communication today and nothing; not even during key off engine off position.

I did reconnect some electrical related items before trying the communication, it was just the harness for the light for the ashtray and the harness for the cig lighter. After those two I decided to check one more time and see if the connection is still there; nope not working. I even tried disconnecting those two again and nothing.

I was overcome with frustration when I found this, however, it quickly disappeared and became more intrigued and perplexed at the situation. I thought I was done with the connection error. Oh Audis lol.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Location: http://www.obdcheap.com/autop-s620-obdii-eobd-code-reader.html
Default U480 OBD2 CAN BUS & Engine Code Reader

U480 OBD2 CAN BUS & Engine Code Reader

Online Shopping Security

High Quality, Low Price & Excellent Service

Color : orange

Weight : 300g

Dimension:300*170*60mm

Regular Price: $29.99 Buy it Now : $25.20

Supported Vehicle:

Suitable for almost all cars

Product Description

Description:
With U480 code reader, you may quickly find out trouble causes (troubleshooter) of electronically controlled systems on your car, by simply connecting U480 with the 16 PIN diagnostic socket, via reading the trouble code (DTC) shown on U480, identifying, locating and checking out trouble causes with attached user's manual.
Function:
1.Works on all 1996 and newer cars & trucks that are OBD II /EOBD compliant including CAN, VPW, PWM, ISO and KWP2000 protocols*

2.Reads and clears generic and manufacturer specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and turns off check engine light*

3.Supports multiple trouble code requests: generic codes, pending codes and manufacturer's specific codes*

4.Retrieves VIN (Vehicle Identification No.) on 2002 and newer vehicles that support Mode 9*

5.Highly reliable and accurate*

6.Easy-to-read crystal-clear backlit 2-line LCD display*

7.Easy to use with one plug-in*

8.Stand-alone unit with no need for an additional laptop computer to operate*

9.Small in size and conveniently fits in your palm Performs continuous DTC scan*

10.Safely communicates with the on-board computer*

11.No batteries needed-powered via detachable OBD II cable
Specifications:
16-pin OBDII Standard Socket*

Voltage: DC 10V~12V*

Temperature: -10 ~ 40*

Display: 2 line LCD
Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 AM
auh
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you ever solve this? My cars obd2 is no longer connectable and I can't pass emissions with out them connecting to my obd2