A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help! Window Regulator Failure - Photos

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! Window Regulator Failure - Photos

I drove the car through rain/snow mix and then left it outside. Below freezing temps caused the moisture to freeze. I tried lowering my window and heard a louder than normal "pop" when breaking free the window. Now the window will go down, but only half way up and that is only if I help it along by pulling it. I pulled the door panel off and nothing seems amiss.

I did notice that the green plastic guides that are attached to the window are cracked (see photos), but I don't think that would cause the problem. The cables all seem attached properly and the motor does run, but something seems to be binding the window on its up movement. I also found this broken piece in the bottom of the door. It looks like a freshly broken piece and also must be associated with the window lift cable as you can see a channel for the cable.

Can anyone help me diagnose and fix this? Thanks.
Attached Images      
Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t6dpilot
I drove the car through rain/snow mix and then left it outside. Below freezing temps caused the moisture to freeze. I tried lowering my window and heard a louder than normal "pop" when breaking free the window. Now the window will go down, but only half way up and that is only if I help it along by pulling it. I pulled the door panel off and nothing seems amiss.

I did notice that the green plastic guides that are attached to the window are cracked (see photos), but I don't think that would cause the problem. The cables all seem attached properly and the motor does run, but something seems to be binding the window on its up movement. I also found this broken piece in the bottom of the door. It looks like a freshly broken piece and also must be associated with the window lift cable as you can see a channel for the cable.

Can anyone help me diagnose and fix this? Thanks.
Happens all the time you need a new regulator.(around $100).

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...ulator/ES2706/

You can sometimes find some of the individual pieces on the european E-bay sites.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ensarian/_i...sub=1200255017

Last edited by AudiMick; 03-14-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the reply. Regulator ordered....

Last edited by t6dpilot; 03-14-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great link to view if you are going to do it yourself

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...or-Replacement

As it happens I have to work on mine this weekend. This will be my third time replacing the window mechanism. First time on Audi, previous two were done on 1998 Jetta.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Project done. That DIY tutorial from the tech section really helped. Not that difficult of a job at all. Getting the frame to line back up perfectly is a bit tricky and requires some trial and error, though. Off to the passenger side before it breaks...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a permanent marker to circle the bolt heads on the door before I pull the frame, that way I can set it right back to where it came from. Saves a bunch of that trial and error stuff.