Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Advice for first timer ordering Q5 through dealer

Old 04-08-2014, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mhughett
My dealer claims they do.
Not the traditional holdbacks as found with most other manfs. He may be referring to the aforementioned rebate credits that Audi has for meeting various AOA goals like meeting sales quotas, customer surveys, achieving service dept. billing quotas, etc.. Holdbacks are a fixed percentage per car whereas achieved dealer incentives are differing dollar amounts each period and not assigned to individual cars.

Excerpts from Edmunds holdback article:

<table><tbody><tr><th>Make</th> <th>Holdback</th> </tr> <tr> <td>Acura</td> <td>2% of the Base MSRP</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Audi</td> <td>No holdback </td> </tr> <tr> <td>BMW</td> <td>No holdback </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Buick</td> <td>3% of the Total MSRP </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Cadillac</td> <td>3% of the Total MSRP </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Chevrolet</td> <td> 3% of the Total MSRP </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Chrysler</td> <td>3% of the Total MSRP </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Dodge</td> <td>3% of the Total MSRP </td></tr></tbody></table>.....

"With the introduction of holdbacks some years ago, most manufacturers inflated the invoice prices for every vehicle by a predetermined amount (2-3 percent of MSRP is typical). The dealer pays that inflated amount when it buys the car from the manufacturer. But later, at predetermined times (usually quarterly), the manufacturer reimburses the dealer for the excess amount. This is the "holdback," so named because funds are "held back" by the manufacturer and released only after the vehicle is invoiced to the dealership."
Old 04-11-2014, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help everyone! My Q5 is now on order. Woohoo!

. . . and now . . . the waiting
Old 04-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ballardthedome

Congrats! What did your dealer tell you in regards to estimated wait time? I ordered on 4/7/14 and it was slotted for build week 20 (5/12/14). No estimated date of arrival yet but I'm hoping for mid to late June.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ballardthedome

congrats!
Old 04-15-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by alfredck
Congrats! What did your dealer tell you in regards to estimated wait time? I ordered on 4/7/14 and it was slotted for build week 20 (5/12/14). No estimated date of arrival yet but I'm hoping for mid to late June.
I haven't actually received an ETA from her yet, she said in 3-4 weeks she'll have more info for me. I know it's going to be a long time, so I'm trying not to think about it too much (and mostly failing).

BDa
Old 04-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Dealers make way more than $1000 per car

Ok dealer has about 30 employee making lets say average $100k a year when you include the bosses. The dealer has rent of what $20,000 a month, plus prep etc.

Dealers are getting the cars for way less - the cost is a loaded cost after paying all their expenses.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not the traditional holdbacks as found with most other manfs. He may be referring to the aforementioned rebate credits that Audi has for meeting various AOA goals like meeting sales quotas, customer surveys, achieving service dept. billing quotas, etc.. Holdbacks are a fixed percentage per car whereas achieved dealer incentives are differing dollar amounts each period and not assigned to individual cars.

Excerpts from Edmunds holdback article:

<table><tbody><tr><th>Make</th> <th>Holdback</th> </tr> <tr> <td>Acura</td> <td>2% of the Base MSRP</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Audi</td> <td>No holdback </td> </tr> <tr> <td>BMW</td> <td>No holdback </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Buick</td> <td>3% of the Total MSRP </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Cadillac</td> <td>3% of the Total MSRP </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Chevrolet</td> <td> 3% of the Total MSRP </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Chrysler</td> <td>3% of the Total MSRP </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Dodge</td> <td>3% of the Total MSRP </td></tr></tbody></table>.....

"With the introduction of holdbacks some years ago, most manufacturers inflated the invoice prices for every vehicle by a predetermined amount (2-3 percent of MSRP is typical). The dealer pays that inflated amount when it buys the car from the manufacturer. But later, at predetermined times (usually quarterly), the manufacturer reimburses the dealer for the excess amount. This is the "holdback," so named because funds are "held back" by the manufacturer and released only after the vehicle is invoiced to the dealership."
Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Got an email from my dealer. It's got Ship Loaded: 5/16/14 & Dealer Delivered on 6/30/14.

Woohoo!

bda
Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadiver
Ok dealer has about 30 employee making lets say average $100k a year when you include the bosses. The dealer has rent of what $20,000 a month, plus prep etc.

Dealers are getting the cars for way less - the cost is a loaded cost after paying all their expenses.
Huh?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

BDa - Thought I'd circle back on this thread. I ordered about a week before you did (on 4/7) and am picking mine up today (6/10)! Hope yours arrives soon!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
In order to stay in business, like any other retailer, a car dealer has to make a profit after expenses - they can't realistically sell cars at or below cost for long. While dealer service departments will provide the highest profit margins, sales and service are almost always a separate profit center so the sales department too, has to be profitable.
I have never been convinced that most dealers can't sell plenty of cars below cost and do quite well. There's always an amazing amount of suckers who will overpay, and other than warranty work, the profit margins in service are often astounding. Finally, with the vast majority of dealers the highest profit margins are from retail parts sales (to customers for non warranty work as well as over the counter).

But why would a dealer sell below his/her actual cost? There's generally not enough incentive for him/her to do so. If he/she has a slow service business, even warranty work will help pay the bills...that is if the customer returns to the selling dealer for service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice for first timer ordering Q5 through dealer