Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Orange White Spots ALL over Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange White Spots ALL over Audi Q5

I got my car last fall, just before winter.

I've now noticed the car is just covered in little tiny orange dots...maybe thousands, maybe more, worse on the lower half of the car, around the wheel wells, door panels etc - the net says "industrial fallout" or "rail dust" or other.

I spent 6 hours yesterday claying the entire car. I removed most, but and some are stubborn I haven't got them all...

When I see someone clay with lubricant, they're really just guiding the bar. Some of these required left to right, up and down.... moderate to heavy pressure etc. I'm sore today! Not sure if that's good or not?

Any tips for the removal of the rest, are these just going to come back??

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by canadianeh; 04-13-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like iron contamination. One way to deal with it is by manually removing it with mechanical effort. Another way is to let chemistry work for you. This is what I use:

https://detailersdomain.com/Auto-Fin...-ml_p_780.html

It works a lot like Sonex wheel cleaner works at dissolving sintered iron brake dust. It dissolves it, making it easier to remove.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by canadianeh
I got my car last fall, just before winter.

I've now noticed the car is just covered in little tiny orange dots...maybe thousands, maybe more, worse on the lower half of the car, around the wheel wells, door panels etc - the net says "industrial fallout" or "rail dust" or other.

I spent 6 hours yesterday claying the entire car. I removed most, but and some are stubborn I haven't got them all...

When I see someone clay with lubricant, they're really just guiding the bar. Some of these required left to right, up and down.... moderate to heavy pressure etc. I'm sore today! Not sure if that's good or not?

Any tips for the removal of the rest, are these just going to come back??

Thanks in advance...
Where do you live, Hamilton, Sudbury? Weird to have that much contamination.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
Where do you live, Hamilton, Sudbury? Weird to have that much contamination.
Outside of Windsor... So is that what it is?

Thanks for the responses
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

as mentioned above by Elevens the description you present is the very definition of iron contamination.

clay generally works but there are various grades of clay from mild to aggressive. on one end of the spectrum you have mild that when used properly shouldn't mar the surface but might not easily extract all contaminants. the opposite end has aggressive which will remove everything but also tends to mar the surface, thus requiring corrections (polishing) after. then there are several grades in-between those two extremes.

Nanoskin Autoscrub has been catching on as a solution for a more effective clay process. it's more thorough and eliminates the physical effect you described, haha. but it requires the proper buffer and associated pads.

i think ELEVEN's suggestion is the way to go in combination with a thorough clay and subsequent correction process - get AF Iron Out or Car-Pro Iron X and go from there.

once the car has this contamination removed, you might want to consider getting the car professionally corrected and coated - i can only recommend Opti-Coat. you can do the whole process yourself if you are willing to get involved and make the investment in time and equipment.

if you are going to see someone to get it done professionally, imo at this point if the prospective detailer isn't fully aware of coating products like CQuartz and Opti-Coat, find someone else.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

If it is rail dust (or similar), the claying tends to just shave off what's above the surface and leaves a portion of the particle embedded. I would look at a product like IronX or one of these other de-con sprays.

You may be able to get a small sample bottle of IronX without committing to a large amount, think Autogeek.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have those tiny orange dots on my car too. I used my Porter Cable dual action polisher with minor cut pad (green color) and Klasse All-In-One polish to remove them.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those orange spot (which shows more on white car) comes from brake dust pad and it's rust of the dust. During summertime we don't see much of it as we are washing the car more often and all the rain tends to wash it off before it sticks and rusts.... per my dealer. Their suggestion is to use a clay bar and rub it off.

I tried it (claybar) after the first winter and found it painful on the arm doing the whole car side panels but this year i've decided to try something different. The rim cleaner which removes all the black dust off the mag wheels works well so why not rust dust from brake. I tried it over the weekend after a long winter and WOW does it work well. Spray a little area at time (i.e. a door), take a wet cloth and just a little swip and its all gone, then wash off with clean water. Did the whole car in less then 10 min. then finished off with a car waxing. Looking nice now!

For all the "Eh", you can find it at Canadian Tire: Simoniz Rim Cleaner

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/si...-0392948p.html