A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 S8 vs 08 S6?

Old 10-20-2013, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 S8 vs 08 S6?

Hello all,

First post. Not many of either of these in the Seattle area. I have a 01 S8 with 112k and all major issues recently dealt with including timing belt and water pump along with other belts and fluids. I also have a 08 S6 with only 48k which of course will need all the major things done in 30 to 40k. It looks like the mpg are close even though the 01 S* is a V8 and the 08 S6 is a V10. I expect them both to handle very well. The S6 looks better due to the year, but is there anything else I should consider? Is there a real winner here? S6 is going for 29700 and the S8 is 9995. If they are close in your minds, performance wise, then I'll just the money and go with the S8. If everyone thinks the S6 is a ton better, then I will seriously consider it. Won't be able to test drive the S8 until the very last minute so I am hoping to get an opinion from you guys to either wait for the S8 or just go for the S6. Thanks in advance!

Steve
Old 10-21-2013, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Trans repairs on S8?
Old 10-21-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The ad says it (S8) shifts smoothly with no issues. Here's the link to it: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4123121777.html

Now there's another pick just down the street from me, a 2004 A8. I think I would prefer the sportier S8, but having never driven an Audi before, I don't know how much better the S8 would be vs S6 with V10, and now the A8. The ad above for the S8 sounds good with clean title and all, and when I contacted him regarding proof for all work completed, he says he has the receipts and did the work himself. This is fine with me as I do all work myself too and a skipped tooth on the timing belt shouldn't sound or perform well.

My wife is now leaning towards the A8 down the street, from a stealership that wants 14900, with 105k miles. I still have to call them to find out about the status of the title and if the timing belt was done. Assuming the latter was done based on miles, but you never know. Thanks for the quick reply.

So in summary the current choices are:
1. 2001 S8 with 110k miles and recent timing belt and water pump
2. 2006 S6 with 42k miles and V10 engine
3. 2004 A8 with 105k and unknown title and timing belt status for now.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevanrk
So in summary the current choices are:
1. 2001 S8 with 110k miles and recent timing belt and water pump
2. 2006 S6 with 42k miles and V10 engine
3. 2004 A8 with 105k and unknown title and timing belt status for now.
1. Solid platform and most fixes are DIY; rock solid motor if maintained. I'm biased, but I think the D2 looks are timeless (still looks current unlike the BMWs and MBs of the same period) and the best bang for the buck out of the three choices.

2. Definitely the fastest of the bunch but not the best looking in my opinion; the FSI motors are prone to carbon buildup and thus performance related problems; however I haven't heard of too many problems with the V10, more the V8 FSI engines like in the RS4. I've considered the V10, but I'd have to have the S8.

3. 2004 A8 had many electrical problems (big $) but some have been lucky with that particular model year; I wouldn't touch a 2004 but would search for 2005 and newer. Make sure the air suspension is in order. The D3 is quite a good looking car as well; every time I see one (especially the L) my head turns.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Many thanks for the guidance, particularly avoiding the 2004. I'll try and push for the S8. With that I would be able to walk away without a finance loan and hopefully no work. I did just find a very nice 2006 A8 with around 55k miles so maybe that one is better overall? Something tells me the S8 is still going to feel better even though it has some more miles on it. Thanks again!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Just looking at the numbers (cost: S8 and $20,000 in the bank or S6 with $0 in the bank); the S8 is the choice.

If you were initially looking at an S8 or S6, it seems you wanted something exclusive and rare. I can only speak to the numbers around the D2 S8, but according to Audi Customer Care, only 1200 D2 S8’s were imported to the US of A. I’m guessing the limited import number is the same for the S6. It’s common to see a D3 A8, a great looking by the way, it just seems like the A8 was a last minute addition to your pool of choices.

As S8ilver stated, the maintenance on the S8 will be more home mechanic friendly than on the S6 or A8. Plus the S8 doesn't have the complex air suspension, pop-up nav screen, complex mechanics, etc… which all equal higher bills and bigger headaches to fix.

Either one (S8 or S6) would be a great car to own. However, I am bias : )
Old 10-21-2013, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Exclusive and rare is a plus in my mind, but don't really care too much. Just want something significantly better. However people quantify significantly is obviously subjective, so am just looking for opinions. It looks like from my reading and this forum it's the S model that I should stick to. I may end up splurging on the S6, but what do you mean the later models are not as diy friendly? Do I need special electronic readers specifically for audi or are we talking about the extensive teardown of the front end to get to the timing belt for example? Thanks again for the input!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Exclusive and rare is a plus in my mind, but don't really care too much. Just want something significantly better. However people quantify significantly is obviously subjective, so am just looking for opinions. It looks like from my reading and this forum it's the S model that I should stick to. I may end up splurging on the S6, but what do you mean the later models are not as diy friendly? Do I need special electronic readers specifically for audi or are we talking about the extensive teardown of the front end to get to the timing belt for example? Thanks again for the input!
I would go for the S6. It is a much better car than the D2 S8.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

My wife is now leaning towards the A8 down the street, from a stealership that wants 14900, with 105k miles. I still have to call them to find out about the status of the title and if the timing belt was done. Assuming the latter was done based on miles, but you never know. Thanks for the quick reply.
I'd actually assume the exact opposite, that it was traded in before they had to foot that bill.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I may end up splurging on the S6, but what do you mean the later models are not as diy friendly? Do I need special electronic readers specifically for audi or are we talking about the extensive teardown of the front end to get to the timing belt for example?
You'll need a computer to do just about any job on the S6, even a brake job. We did the rear brakes on a friend's B7 S4 recently; needed Vag-com to release the rear electronic e-brakes to change pads. It really just depends on what you want and what you're willing to pay for vs. learning yourself. Digital or analog? I'm sure the S6 is a great car; perhaps I just fear the multitude of electronics that have notoriously plagued the high end luxury models. I might trade that headache for the sound of that V10 though!

Search this Thread