Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi care covered 2013 and winter tire question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi care covered 2013 and winter tire question?

About to take delivery on my cuvee silver 2013 3.0T with the s-line package, which also has the upgraded 20" 5 arm star design rims. I also opted for audi care , which gives me up to 2 claims for rim repair during the 3 year lease program.

Ive never gone for the care package and now has me thinking of just buying the 20" winter tires, and maintaing the OEM look, year round, since i dont care about rim damage. It will save a few bucks for tires only, but not much over a 18" rim and tire package.

My question to you guys , is a 20" winter tire going to float too much on snow? Second, play devils advocate with me, what am i not considering here in doing a full rim and tire package?

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by m-ro
About to take delivery on my cuvee silver 2013 3.0T with the s-line package, which also has the upgraded 20" 5 arm star design rims. I also opted for audi care , which gives me up to 2 claims for rim repair during the 3 year lease program.

Ive never gone for the care package and now has me thinking of just buying the 20" winter tires, and maintaing the OEM look, year round, since i dont care about rim damage. It will save a few bucks for tires only, but not much over a 18" rim and tire package.

My question to you guys , is a 20" winter tire going to float too much on snow? Second, play devils advocate with me, what am i not considering here in doing a full rim and tire package?

Thanks ahead of time!
Audi Care include regularly scheduled maintenance. It does not include rim repair
Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by njandy
Audi Care include regularly scheduled maintenance. It does not include rim repair
Sorry, you are correct, i have the audi care and the audi after care 'wear and protection package' as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I can't comment on the 20s in the snow. I've done it with 19" rims and it worked great. However I was at the dealership and the service manager said that it's not a good idea to pull and install tires on a rim multiple times - it can damage the tires. Plus it's less expensive to swap rims and tires than just tires. This year I bought a set of used winter tires and rims.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MJNHQ5
However I was at the dealership and the service manager said that it's not a good idea to pull and install tires on a rim multiple times - it can damage the tires.
I think he's selling you a hill of beans :-)

We'll replace motorcycle tires multiple times a race weekend without issue. Sometimes a rim might get nicked if the installer isn't concentrating, but overall, no one has 'damaged' a tire from installation.

And we put a wee bit more stress on tires than 4 wheel passenger cars.

But speaking form someone who has swapped out winter tires on my SUV: he's right that the installation costs can equal a set of tires over a few years. It does add up.

Unless someone at the service desk shows you a document from Audi, I would always double check their advice. Remember, the service desk IS the profit center of a dealership. Tires and rims are by far the most profitable item they sell.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't think he meant damaged in the sense of nic or tears - more that pulling and installing them multiple times over time degrades the sidewalls. Yeah - you have to consider the source and tires and rims are a very expensive option from the dealer.