S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Winter Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great feedback. Given the driving conditions where I live the best match of studless winter tires were the Dunlops, Michelin PA4, Blizzak LM60 and the Sottozero Pirrelli. The few online tests I found tipped the scales in favour of the PA4s for dry, wet and ice traction. Given that the car will be delivered in mid Jan I'll have to take it easy for the first couple of months anyway. The good thing is that the car will be broken in just in time to put the summer tires back on around April (hopefully sooner) where it will be a little less risky to start throwing the car around.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check the speed ratings too

Originally Posted by S6_Dude
Thanks for the great feedback. Given the driving conditions where I live the best match of studless winter tires were the Dunlops, Michelin PA4, Blizzak LM60 and the Sottozero Pirrelli. The few online tests I found tipped the scales in favour of the PA4s for dry, wet and ice traction. Given that the car will be delivered in mid Jan I'll have to take it easy for the first couple of months anyway. The good thing is that the car will be broken in just in time to put the summer tires back on around April (hopefully sooner) where it will be a little less risky to start throwing the car around.
I believe that only the newer Bridgestone and Michelin PA4s have a V rating - others are H. Michelins have XL load rating too, like the summer tires, not sure about the others.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DD1546
I believe that only the newer Bridgestone and Michelin PA4s have a V rating - others are H. Michelins have XL load rating too, like the summer tires, not sure about the others.
Good point. Even the Nokian R2s are H rated. I think I'll stick with the PA4s and give them a try.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seriously? People are concerned about the speed rating on a winter tire? If anybody goes in excess of 130 mph (equivalent to an H rating) on winter tires, they need to have their head examined.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Seriously? People are concerned about the speed rating on a winter tire? If anybody goes in excess of 130 mph (equivalent to an H rating) on winter tires, they need to have their head examined.
Yes, seriously. R2s only only rated to 105mph.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

...the Nokian R2s are H rated.
Yes, seriously. R2s only only rated to 105mph.
I went by your initial post and H-rated tires are good for 130 mph. I have since looked it up on Nokian's website and they are, in fact, R-rated (170 km/h, or about 106 mph). Even so, it doesn't bother me, as I have no desire to do any high-speed runs on winter tires. If I have to pass someone quickly, it's not a problem as the rating denotes the maximum continuous speeds allowed. Short bursts won't present any safety issues.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not concerned

Not concerned, but V indicates more testing, better balance, etc. First, they build the tire to a Specification and its higher for V. Second, the PA4 is not a snow tire, its a winter performance tire. I've driven over 120 mph (average speed) on the Autobahn equipped with the slightly older model, the PA3.The XL spec is also important if you carry a full car. So many people on this forum are interested in performance - tunes and such - and tires deserve at least the same attention. H is like un-tuned and V is like tuned Both work.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great discussion. Wife thinks I'm nuts putting so much time into deciding on the right tire but I love it!!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

FWIW:

I generally run a performance winter tire in Central New York (currently LM-60s). After running new winters in for a few hundred miles, I run them up to 110 or so on dry roads just to see how them feel (when warm, of course), and then try not to exceed that speed during the winter.

Also, I noted that in a recent TR test Wintersport 4Ds outpointed Blizzaks on one variable (stopping on ice, IIRC). I tend to use either Blizzaks or Wintersports interchangeably, since both perform well on actual ice, but will keep more current on tests next time I buy. Almost any snow tire will do well in rain or snow on Audimobiles, so I tend to buy for ice traction.

On our brief xmas trip to/from DC, this paid off in her Allroad. During the trip down, I-81 was actually closed for a lengthy stretch, and we had heavy rain, followed by moderate snow on the return. Presents, a Nakashima table copy made by Dad, and five cases of wine all arrived back here safely.

Yay for safe cars and wine, and HNY to Audiworld.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have had incredible experiences with Dunlop SP Winter Sports over the years... first on my S4s, now on my S6. Just had my stock 20" mounted with 255/35/20 -- just ran out in the middle of this Northeast snow storm--- all roads around my house are unplowed with 4-5" and the car was incredible.... cannot say enough great things about these tires. And on dry surfaces, they are 'W' rated (168mph) ... obviously not going that fast on snow tires, but they are incredibly versatile and drive beautifully on dry (highway and back roads) .... will probably buy winter wheels and mount them next year-- for now putting them on the stock 20s seemed like the play.

Last edited by B8S410; 01-02-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires?