Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Google and Audi partnering for on board Android

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gents, Android vs IOS debate goes indefinite. Both have captured pretty large demographic. IOS is more popular in US whereas Android is in the rest of the world. Also bear in mind that Audi does not supply cars only to North America. Furthermore, the fact that Audi already partnered with Google (Google Earth overlay, online destinations via Google search) and as the first of its kind to do so, it laid a good foundation to develop further this relationship. That said, however, I don't think this Android integration into Audi vehicles will alienate IOS owners. I am pretty sure engineers will find the way to reconcile both operating systems when using MMI.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DBV
Too bad it is Android. Apple would be the premium product.
I disagree, since globally Android has more market share and is an open platform, I love this announcement. I am tied of IOS and Apple telling me what they know I like or,dislike and what it can or can not do.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I could see this iOS/Android debate coming from the very first post. These kinds of arguments are like talking politics or religion-there will never be a winner.
For what it's worth, I doubt Audi will abandon the integration that they have right now with the iPhone. My guess is they are going to add further integration from a Google phone, much like Apple is going to do their in car system but the integration as seen today, will more than likely continue.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I could see this iOS/Android debate coming from the very first post. These kinds of arguments are like talking politics or religion-there will never be a winner.
For what it's worth, I doubt Audi will abandon the integration that they have right now with the iPhone. My guess is they are going to add further integration from a Google phone, much like Apple is going to do their in car system but the integration as seen today, will more than likely continue.
Why did people think Audi would choose one platform or the other? The idea is to attract customers not alienate them
Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Gents, Android vs IOS debate goes indefinite. Both have captured pretty large demographic. IOS is more popular in US whereas Android is in the rest of the world. Also bear in mind that Audi does not supply cars only to North America. Furthermore, the fact that Audi already partnered with Google (Google Earth overlay, online destinations via Google search) and as the first of its kind to do so, it laid a good foundation to develop further this relationship. That said, however, I don't think this Android integration into Audi vehicles will alienate IOS owners. I am pretty sure engineers will find the way to reconcile both operating systems when using MMI.
Well to clarify, that data that I posted showed worldwide market share and that is where Android has over 80% of the market. That is relevant because Audi is a worldwide company

To correct you, Android also outsells IOS in the US, with 52% of the market vs 40% for IOS based on the very latest data:

Top Smartphone Platforms
3 Month Avg. Ending Oct. 2013 vs. 3 Month Avg. Ending Jul. 2013
Total U.S. Smartphone Subscribers Age 13+
Source: comScore MobiLens
Share (%) of Smartphone Subscribers
Jul-13 Oct-13 Point Change
Total Smartphone Subscribers 100.0% 100.0% N/A
Android 51.8% 52.2% 0.4
Apple 40.4% 40.6% 0.2
BlackBerry 4.3% 3.6% -0.7
Microsoft 3.0% 3.2% 0.2
Symbian 0.3% 0.2% -0.1

As you note, given Audi's partnership already with Google, and the huge marketshare advantage Android has worldwide, this move makes perfect business sense
Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Thank you for pointing this out. It isn't like people are going to stop being able to use their iPhone. Audi has already put in the work to make it happen and it is solid.

That said, Android is the far more advanced system, more open and has more users.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Well to clarify, that data that I posted showed worldwide market share and that is where Android has over 80% of the market. That is relevant because Audi is a worldwide company

To correct you, Android also outsells IOS in the US, with 52% of the market vs 40% for IOS based on the very latest data:

Top Smartphone Platforms
3 Month Avg. Ending Oct. 2013 vs. 3 Month Avg. Ending Jul. 2013
Total U.S. Smartphone Subscribers Age 13+
Source: comScore MobiLens
Share (%) of Smartphone Subscribers
Jul-13 Oct-13 Point Change
Total Smartphone Subscribers 100.0% 100.0% N/A
Android 51.8% 52.2% 0.4
Apple 40.4% 40.6% 0.2
BlackBerry 4.3% 3.6% -0.7
Microsoft 3.0% 3.2% 0.2
Symbian 0.3% 0.2% -0.1

As you note, given Audi's partnership already with Google, and the huge marketshare advantage Android has worldwide, this move makes perfect business sense
52% market share is pretty compelling and dominant. 52% for Apple and 48% for the other 10 companies combined. Almost every company in the world would kill for those proportions
Old 12-30-2013, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
52% market share is pretty compelling and dominant. 52% for Apple and 48% for the other 10 companies combined. Almost every company in the world would kill for those proportions
Read my post and the data again, sorry you have the number backwards in your post. IN the US - 52% of the market is Android, not Apple. Apple is 40%

Worldwide it is over 80% Android and about 13% Apple
Old 12-30-2013, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please, take your iOS vs Android advocacy elsewhere; it's idiotic.

Given that an Audi could be considered an 'overpriced' and low market share car in the same way you guys are disparaging each other's phones, your arguments are stupid.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good catch. Wont be the first time Im wrong. Ask my wife

Quick Reply: Google and Audi partnering for on board Android