Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Google and Audi partnering for on board Android

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Kudos for Audi for not buying into the Apple crap

Apple is overpriced, proprietary garbage IMO. Android is much more open in terms of devices, etc, and much more cost effective.

And the Apple iOS in the car - yea, that only works if you own an Apple IOS device. Just another way for Apple to try to sell you their overpriced hardware
iOS is superior to Android in every way. I use both, iOS on my iPhone and Android on my Nexus and I'll take iOS every time. Much easier to use, a million times more secure, and a better design. If the iPad was cheaper, I'd toss the Nexus in a second.

And I want touch screen!!! These stupid ***** are a nuisance. Especially Audis that turns backwards!!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
I totally agree, but with the bitching now about how much T-Mob 3G service costs, I'd hate to see comments if everything was cloud based and you had to pay for data. Good luck with that.
Good point and probably the reason we haven't seen this already. Audi knows the cost would probably be pretty ridiculous for USA customers at least until 4g is fully implemented.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simply put, I am an iOS user and I expect Audi to use iOS and not Android. But it is Audi's choice. If they want to partner with Android, then I and my iOS devices will partner with BMW. I left BMW due to run-flats and other stupid innovations, but nothing that BMW has done has been quite as stupid as Audi partnering with the low end OS for mobile. Goodbye, Audi.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:45 AM
DBV
AudiWorld Member

Great statement and I completely agree with you. I would guess that the iPhone is the phone of choice for most luxury car buyers. Android would alienate a lot of potential customers for one would not buy a an Android based car. Agree that Android is for the low end crowd and mobile phone statistics by demographic will back that statement up.

Originally Posted by Fithian
Simply put, I am an iOS user and I expect Audi to use iOS and not Android. But it is Audi's choice. If they want to partner with Android, then I and my iOS devices will partner with BMW. I left BMW due to run-flats and other stupid innovations, but nothing that BMW has done has been quite as stupid as Audi partnering with the low end OS for mobile. Goodbye, Audi.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Apple has made computers accessible and more easy to use for millions of people. Without Apple many of those people wouldnt have computers. To call it proprietary junk is also untrue. Compared to Microsoft based systems MacOS is more secure and reliable.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Where do you guys get that Microsoft is less secure and not as good for this? Currently Microsoft has the ONLY Cross-platform system for tablets-phones-Desktop OS. In terms of security - Microsoft patches every week if there are issues that need to be addressed. bear in mind that when a Desktop OS has over 90 percent of market share it WOULD be the most commonly targeted for hacks and viral behavior.

This may be mistaken for the security aspects you are referring to. ALSO - you may want to cite some reliable data from someone like Gartner or something to see which (for instance...browser) would be more secure.

Currently the only software that comes with a car that is produced by a big software company - Sync by Microsoft. Ford seems to like it.

This kind of debate is really funny because it becomes so emotional and not very factual.

anyway...
Old 12-30-2013, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Apple has made computers accessible and more easy to use for millions of people.
You obviously never heard of IBM, Kaypro and a couple others. Apple computers have always been grossly overpriced underpowered vertical market machines. The only ones who used Apple in the past were graphics houses, and they were NOT accessible and easy to use.

Granted the iPhone has made non-technically capable people able to use phones with the rest of us, but Apple hardware is grossly overpriced and living in 1984.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fithian
I doubt Audi will miss you. Just because you are an IOS user does not mean they should cater to you

low end OS - LOL, thanks for the laugh

Last edited by Maverick61; 12-30-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DBV
Great statement and I completely agree with you. I would guess that the iPhone is the phone of choice for most luxury car buyers. Android would alienate a lot of potential customers for one would not buy a an Android based car. Agree that Android is for the low end crowd and mobile phone statistics by demographic will back that statement up.
Android is trouncing iOS in market share

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/1...lackberry-1-7/

Google’s Android operating system managed to grab exactly 81.0 percent smartphone share in the third quarter of 2013. Rounding out the top four smartphone operating systems were iOS at 12.9 percent, Windows Phone at 3.6 percent, and BlackBerry at 1.7 percent.

IDC estimates total Android smartphone shipments worldwide reached 211.6 million units, letting Google’s mobile operating system power four out every five of the 261.1 million smartphones that shipped last quarter. The figure allowed Android to push past the 80 percent market share mark for the first time.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:52 PM
DBV
AudiWorld Member

Maybe so, but it was just in the Wall Street Journal recently that Android is not even close in the demographic that most Audi, Mercedes and BMW shoppers are in. Those demographics (i.e., wealthier population are iPhone Users), not only in the US, but the rest of the world too. iPhone is still seen as status above all other phones. Anything Apple related is the market the luxury car makers would want to go after.

Still considered an Android phone/system a poor man's iPhone.

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Android is trouncing iOS in market share

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/1...lackberry-1-7/

Google’s Android operating system managed to grab exactly 81.0 percent smartphone share in the third quarter of 2013. Rounding out the top four smartphone operating systems were iOS at 12.9 percent, Windows Phone at 3.6 percent, and BlackBerry at 1.7 percent.

IDC estimates total Android smartphone shipments worldwide reached 211.6 million units, letting Google’s mobile operating system power four out every five of the 261.1 million smartphones that shipped last quarter. The figure allowed Android to push past the 80 percent market share mark for the first time.

Quick Reply: Google and Audi partnering for on board Android