Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Microphone issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Microphone issues

Just pruchased 2014 Q5 Premium Plus with MMI. The Sound quality on in comming Bluetooth calls are fine, however out going is really bad, the sound is scratchy and breaking up, almost impossible to carry on a conversation. Brought it back to the dealer this morning and they acknowledged having issues with out going Bluetooth sound. They are ordering parts to fix. We keep all posted.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Let us know - not a issue with my 011'
Old 10-04-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not an issue with my '14. Interested to hear what they say is causing it
Old 10-08-2013, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
Not an issue with my '14. Interested to hear what they say is causing it
Just go it back today and there is no difference even after replacing the microphone. The A6 loaner had great quality, however when I picked up my Q5 today and talked to the same people using the same cell phone they said the quality was awful and sounded like I was in a tunnel. Called Audi service right away to schedule another service for Monday, they say it sounded fine, maybe I am just use to my old Lexus. Will post the outcome of the next service.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by buba1
Just go it back today and there is no difference even after replacing the microphone. The A6 loaner had great quality, however when I picked up my Q5 today and talked to the same people using the same cell phone they said the quality was awful and sounded like I was in a tunnel. Called Audi service right away to schedule another service for Monday, they say it sounded fine, maybe I am just use to my old Lexus. Will post the outcome of the next service.
People have told me that my Q5 sounds crystal clear, no tunnel effect or anything very weird.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
People have told me that my Q5 sounds crystal clear, no tunnel effect or anything very weird.

Voice is clear there is a background noise like when you hold a seashell to your ear. I don't have it with my Lincoln MKS, possibly because the interior area is smaller, although it also has the panoramic glass roof. I guess I will just have to live with it. Thanks for all reply's.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just pruchased 2014 Q5 Premium Plus with MMI. The Sound quality on in comming Bluetooth calls are fine, however out going is really bad, the sound is scratchy and breaking up, almost impossible to carry on a conversation. Brought it back to the dealer this morning and they acknowledged having issues with out going Bluetooth sound. They are ordering parts to fix. We keep all posted.
Wife just told me that it sounds like all my windows were open, they weren't. In fact at one point the vehicle was stopped and she said it still sounded horrible.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Seems my microphone issues are intermittent. This weekend I couldn't use the voice commands because (I assume) the noise from the microphone was drowning everything else out. But it worked fine on Monday.

anyone else had this problem?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Buckeye96
Seems my microphone issues are intermittent. This weekend I couldn't use the voice commands because (I assume) the noise from the microphone was drowning everything else out. But it worked fine on Monday.

anyone else had this problem?
Sounds like you had the same problem as I did. Dealer changed the microphone, it got some what better, stills sounds like holding a sea shell to your ear.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like you had the same problem as I did. Dealer changed the microphone, it got some what better, stills sounds like holding a sea shell to your ear.
Odd, my wife said that the Q5 sounded great, unlike my old Odyssey. Hopefully eventually they can figure out what the specific issue is for those of you with the problem.

Quick Reply: Q5 Microphone issues