Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Red iPod Cable Information

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
You can leave Bluetooth on the phone or iPod you only need to switch off bluetooth streaming in the phone mmi bluetooth settings menu
Thanks, John.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that are interested in purchasing the red connector. I just received mine last week and now album art is displayed while using the IPod. I was able to purchase for approximately $55 USD from genuine.audi.parts on the International eBay site. I believe this account belongs to an Audi Dealer in Ireland. It only took about 1 week to receive it which is really quick considering that it was shipped from Ireland to Philadelphia. If you do decide to order the red cable, make sure the part # is 4F0051510R, as this is the most current. I can post pictures if requested, but since fvike was already kind enough to do so, it might be redundant.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Anyone ordering a 2013 model will be interested to know that the MPK port installed package($290) includes this red cable in addition to other cables.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've noticed that watching movies from my iPod touch connected via red cable, the screen is smaller than if I were using a DVD. Is there any setting that I can change to increase the screen size on the car or on the iPod itself?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Anyone ordering a 2013 model will be interested to know that the MPK port installed package($290) includes this red cable in addition to other cables.
What is MPK?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got the red cable. The dealer actually was willing to exchange the red cable with the blue one which came with the car so I did not have to pay for it. The fact that I had to replace my 6 month old tire as it had a nail in a corner is a different story
Old 08-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by donb4325
For those that are interested in purchasing the red connector. I just received mine last week and now album art is displayed while using the IPod. I was able to purchase for approximately $55 USD from genuine.audi.parts on the International eBay site. I believe this account belongs to an Audi Dealer in Ireland. It only took about 1 week to receive it which is really quick considering that it was shipped from Ireland to Philadelphia. If you do decide to order the red cable, make sure the part # is 4F0051510R, as this is the most current. I can post pictures if requested, but since fvike was already kind enough to do so, it might be redundant.

I had the blue cable on my '12, then ordered from the same eBay seller, got the cable in 8 days, installed and album art and videos started displaying immediately. The art is a bit small on the screen. The videos play without a problem but vary in size a bit. Going to test with iTunes TV shows, etc.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Based on the Audi site in Germany http://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuwa... iPod devices.

iPod nano 5G (ab Version 1.0.2)
iPod touch 1G, 2G, 3G und 4G (ab Version 3.0.0)
iPhone 1G, 3G, 3GS und 4G (ab Version 3.0.0)
iPad (ab Version 4.2.1)

So a 4G Nano will not work
Rather delayed update, but I see this thread is still going. Wrote an email to Audi America. Here is their reply.

Dear Mr. Sullivan:

Thank you for contacting Audi of America in regard to the Audi Music Interface (AMI) or IPod Adapter cable for your 2012 Audi A6. Congratulations on your purchase! I appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to assist you. I apologize for the delayed response. Unfortunately, your correspondence did not include a phone number to contact you. As such, please accept this written response.

I understand the red grommet IPod Adapter cable purchased reads "This IPod is not supported" when you connect the cable to your 4th generation IPod Nano. After researching, the red grommet IPod cable may not be a US Audi approved and tested accessory for US spec models. As such, your AMI system is reading not compatible when connected to the adapter cable. Currently, there are no updates to your AMI system. If your IPod cable is not a US Audi part, your AMI system may not support it.

I am more than happy to research the part numbers of available Audi IPod Adapter cables that are compatible with your AMI system. Please contact me with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and I can research this further for you. If you purchased your red grommet IPod cable through an Audi dealer, please provide the part number of the cable so that I can also research its compatibility further.

Mr. Sullivan, I hope the above information is helpful. If I may be of further assistance, please contact me at Audi Customer Relations at +1 877 615 2834, extension 43024, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Monday-Friday or via e-mail at audicare@audi.com.

So, I off course told them in a reply email that I had purchased the cable through my authorized Audi Dealer, so far I have not recieved a response.

Bob
Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by BSullivan
Rather delayed update, but I see this thread is still going. Wrote an email to Audi America. Here is their reply.

Dear Mr. Sullivan:

Thank you for contacting Audi of America in regard to the Audi Music Interface (AMI) or IPod Adapter cable for your 2012 Audi A6. Congratulations on your purchase! I appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to assist you. I apologize for the delayed response. Unfortunately, your correspondence did not include a phone number to contact you. As such, please accept this written response.

I understand the red grommet IPod Adapter cable purchased reads "This IPod is not supported" when you connect the cable to your 4th generation IPod Nano. After researching, the red grommet IPod cable may not be a US Audi approved and tested accessory for US spec models. As such, your AMI system is reading not compatible when connected to the adapter cable. Currently, there are no updates to your AMI system. If your IPod cable is not a US Audi part, your AMI system may not support it.

I am more than happy to research the part numbers of available Audi IPod Adapter cables that are compatible with your AMI system. Please contact me with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and I can research this further for you. If you purchased your red grommet IPod cable through an Audi dealer, please provide the part number of the cable so that I can also research its compatibility further.

Mr. Sullivan, I hope the above information is helpful. If I may be of further assistance, please contact me at Audi Customer Relations at +1 877 615 2834, extension 43024, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Monday-Friday or via e-mail at audicare@audi.com.

So, I off course told them in a reply email that I had purchased the cable through my authorized Audi Dealer, so far I have not recieved a response.

Bob
See my response back one page (7/8/12) The red grommet cable only supports iPhone's iPad's, iPod Touches and the 5G (latest) nano. All other iPods are not supported and you need the blue cable for these
Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

See my response back one page (7/8/12) The red grommet cable only supports iPhone's iPad's, iPod Touches and the 5G (latest) nano. All other iPods are not supported and you need the blue cable for these
I understand the website in Germnay did not list the 4th gen Nano as compatible. My point in quoting the email sent by Audi USA was that they think the red grommet adapter cable may not be intended for US spec cars.

Quote "After researching, the red grommet IPod cable may not be a US Audi approved and tested accessory for US spec models. As such, your AMI system is reading not compatible when connected to the adapter cable. Currently, there are no updates to your AMI system. If your IPod cable is not a US Audi part, your AMI system may not support it." End quote

I do not believe they understood my original question and I really haven't had time to discuss it with them. They did offer to do more research if I would contact them and when I get time, I will reopen the dialog. Hope that clears up my intent.
Bob

Quick Reply: Red iPod Cable Information