Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine

Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. Not too in the know with car knowledge, but wanted to get your opinion on my recent experience with trying to get an excessive oil consumption test. I took my car and and mentioned it like everyone else - they said they replaced the PCV and something else. Fast forward to when I pick up my car, and I check my engine oil levels and it says "Please Drain Oil".

I call my service adviser, and he says that it's normal and what they do for an oil consumption test (umm ok). Anyhow, I think this is a complete lie because 1) Why would they add more engine oil than necessary unless they want the oil level to read higher than it should when I go back and 2) It's not good for the engine (so I'm told). Tried calling my service adviser today to have them remove the excess oil, but still waiting for a return call.

Thoughts?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ushde
Hey everyone. Not too in the know with car knowledge, but wanted to get your opinion on my recent experience with trying to get an excessive oil consumption test. I took my car and and mentioned it like everyone else - they said they replaced the PCV and something else. Fast forward to when I pick up my car, and I check my engine oil levels and it says "Please Drain Oil".

I call my service adviser, and he says that it's normal and what they do for an oil consumption test (umm ok). Anyhow, I think this is a complete lie because 1) Why would they add more engine oil than necessary unless they want the oil level to read higher than it should when I go back and 2) It's not good for the engine (so I'm told). Tried calling my service adviser today to have them remove the excess oil, but still waiting for a return call.

Thoughts?
Oh, and a few more details about my car. Have a B8 A4 2009 model with 45k miles on it.

Should I even be concerned about the excess oil they added if they replaced the PCV and the grommet(?). Those will just fix the issue any way?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

"Please Drain Oil".

I call my service adviser, and he says that it's normal and what they do for an oil consumption test (umm ok). Anyhow, I think this is a complete lie because 1) Why would they add more engine oil than necessary unless they want the oil level to read higher than it should when I go back and 2)
There's a bulletin and very specific process for evaluating oil consumption. I'm not certain that over-filling the oil by that amount is part of the process. However, it sure will mask your ability to determine how much oil your car is consuming.

I had to drain off a bunch of oil on my 2011 car when it was new so it would read on the MMI. I did this a few days after taking ownership.

Do you believe you are consuming quite a bit of oil? Did the car suffer a "soft" break-in?

Welcome aboard, U !
Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
There's a bulletin and very specific process for evaluating oil consumption. I'm not certain that over-filling the oil by that amount is part of the process. However, it sure will mask your ability to determine how much oil your car is consuming.

I had to drain off a bunch of oil on my 2011 car when it was new so it would read on the MMI. I did this a few days after taking ownership.

Do you believe you are consuming quite a bit of oil? Did the car suffer a "soft" break-in?

Welcome aboard, U !
Thanks! Long time lurker, finally a contributor

I think the dealer is being sneaky with over-filling the oil! I've been consuming a qt every 1200mi these days, so I know I've got the same issues as other people on the board.

I'll see if I can find the thread on draining the oil. I'm not sure what this "soft" break-in is
Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

U, R U the original owner of the car?

I'll see if I can find the thread on draining the oil. I'm not sure what this "soft" break-in is
"Soft" break could be described as baby-ing the car for the first couple thousand of miles, aka pedaling around town like your 90 year-old grandmother. The engines end up having ring sealing issues and likely never completely seat

There is lots of material on this in this and other Audi forums.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2012 Q5 2.0T, 11/11 build date. I did a soft break in, oil change at 1000 miles, car now has 3700 plus. I will change the oil at 5000 miles and continue on 5000 schedule. Mobil 1 0w-40 and Mahn oil filter(VW/AudiOEM). I also installed a real dip stick. Both the MMI and the stick show full (2700 miles since oil change). So no oil consumption. I will continue to watch it. My son's Saab 2.0T holds 6.5 quarts of oil to the Audi's 5 quarts. I broke the Saab in the same way. In both cars I do 5000 mile oil changes. Saab has 43,000 miles and no oil consumption. I have found over the years that this schedule works great for me. My BMW goes 7500 miles vs 15000 per schedule. I just change it between the "free ones".
Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 AM
I5
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue with a CPO car about 2 weeks after driving off lot
2009 A4.

Part 1:
PRV valve replace
Crankshaft Vibration Damper
Crankshaft Seal
Software update

Still burned oil at approx same rate.

Part 2:
4 New pistons
Lots of gaskets

Hope this works!

Anybody know what Part 3 is?

Refund?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I do exactly the same and no 'over consumption' issues.

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
I have a 2012 Q5 2.0T, 11/11 build date. I did a soft break in, oil change at 1000 miles, car now has 3700 plus. I will change the oil at 5000 miles and continue on 5000 schedule. Mobil 1 0w-40 and Mahn oil filter(VW/AudiOEM). I also installed a real dip stick. Both the MMI and the stick show full (2700 miles since oil change). So no oil consumption. I will continue to watch it. My son's Saab 2.0T holds 6.5 quarts of oil to the Audi's 5 quarts. I broke the Saab in the same way. In both cars I do 5000 mile oil changes. Saab has 43,000 miles and no oil consumption. I have found over the years that this schedule works great for me. My BMW goes 7500 miles vs 15000 per schedule. I just change it between the "free ones".
Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to drive a 2008 VW GTI 2.0T and that thing drank oil like crazy. 1000 miles after an oil change and I would be a quart low. It never got to the point where the oil light came on but it erked me seeing smoke come out under hard acceleration of my "new" car. Had a 1.8T before that, which never burned a drop.. Now I am on my B7 A4 2.0T (bought used at 60k miles) and we will see how this goes.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have an 06 A4 2.0T with 81K miles on it. No consumption at all. I change my own oil at 7,500 mile intervals. Now, I do the same with the 2011 Q5 with the 2.0T. It now has 20K miles on it. It has needed a quart added to it at 4,000 miles (of the 7,500 interval) but I wonder if I'm partially to blame as I used 5W30 weight oil during my last oil change (Mobil 1 of course, this is what BJs carries). I will move back to the recommended 40 weight oil with my next oil change and see if that makes a difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine