Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Google and Audi partnering for on board Android

Old 12-29-2013, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Google and Audi partnering for on board Android

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-576...board-android/
Old 12-29-2013, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is years too late in the making.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will use car's built in hardware...anyone think this is going to be a really bad idea? Why can't these cars just mirror what's on my phone...
Old 12-30-2013, 02:51 AM
Banned

What's next? Built-in ads for Cracker Barrel and Starbucks every time you drive down the interstate? No thanks.

I'd rather have lidar jammers and integrated dash cams.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 AM
DBV
AudiWorld Member

Too bad it is Android. Apple would be the premium product.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Well, the two would certainly play nicely together. Audi doesn't like to provide software updates to customers the same way as Google doesn't care to do that.

One may think about Apple what they want but it's a secure platform that keeps customers up-to-date for at least 3 years after the purchase of a device. Apple's iOS eyes free is a threat to any established OEM provider because it makes them redundant. Who needs Navteq (a.k.a Nokia a.k.a Microsoft) if the iOS device is screen mirroring Apple or Google Maps? Why pay Delphi or Harman or Bosch for development of a closed system if you can get a "open" system for free.

The Audi AMI was a good idea 10 years ago but these days BT A2DP can do almost everything the AMI can do. No more need for a closed system with expensive cable adapters. Updating map data from DVD or SD-card? That's so last century in a world where everything is connected.

That being said, I don't think that Audi will not support Apple's iOS eyes free if BMW and Mercedes are doing it. Out of the 3 Germans, BMW seems to be more innovative that Audi right now and Audi has to catch up. Using Android will likely help to develop new features faster which is a good thing as long as the don't alienate their iOS customers.

And I sure hope that I will never have to use a touch screen in a car:-)
Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by in2dwww
What's next? Built-in ads for Cracker Barrel and Starbucks every time you drive down the interstate? No thanks.
+1
Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Well, the two would certainly play nicely together. Audi doesn't like to provide software updates to customers the same way as Google doesn't care to do that.

One may think about Apple what they want but it's a secure platform that keeps customers up-to-date for at least 3 years after the purchase of a device. Apple's iOS eyes free is a threat to any established OEM provider because it makes them redundant. Who needs Navteq (a.k.a Nokia a.k.a Microsoft) if the iOS device is screen mirroring Apple or Google Maps? Why pay Delphi or Harman or Bosch for development of a closed system if you can get a "open" system for free.

The Audi AMI was a good idea 10 years ago but these days BT A2DP can do almost everything the AMI can do. No more need for a closed system with expensive cable adapters. Updating map data from DVD or SD-card? That's so last century in a world where everything is connected.

That being said, I don't think that Audi will not support Apple's iOS eyes free if BMW and Mercedes are doing it. Out of the 3 Germans, BMW seems to be more innovative that Audi right now and Audi has to catch up. Using Android will likely help to develop new features faster which is a good thing as long as the don't alienate their iOS customers.

And I sure hope that I will never have to use a touch screen in a car:-)
Google doesn't like to provide updates? Google updates Android quite frequently - it's the carriers that refuse to provide timely updates to their devices. If you have a Nexus phone or tablet, or a Google Play Edition phone or tablet, then you will see updates quickly after a new Android version is announced. And Google Maps is the gold standard for mobile maps, Apple's Map functionality is a joke in comparison.

I'd love to see Audi and Google partner on this, especially if Google is able to update functionality independently of Audi via OTA updates.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kudos for Audi for not buying into the Apple crap

Apple is overpriced, proprietary garbage IMO. Android is much more open in terms of devices, etc, and much more cost effective.

And the Apple iOS in the car - yea, that only works if you own an Apple IOS device. Just another way for Apple to try to sell you their overpriced hardware
Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwboston
Google doesn't like to provide updates? Google updates Android quite frequently - it's the carriers that refuse to provide timely updates to their devices. If you have a Nexus phone or tablet, or a Google Play Edition phone or tablet, then you will see updates quickly after a new Android version is announced. And Google Maps is the gold standard for mobile maps, Apple's Map functionality is a joke in comparison.

I'd love to see Audi and Google partner on this, especially if Google is able to update functionality independently of Audi via OTA updates.
I totally agree, but with the bitching now about how much T-Mob 3G service costs, I'd hate to see comments if everything was cloud based and you had to pay for data. Good luck with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Google and Audi partnering for on board Android