Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Gonna be switching cars

Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Gonna be switching cars

Have not been back here on AudiWorld in over a year - been otherwise preoccupied. But my 3 year lease is up on my 2009 Q5. Originally, I wanted to buy it out, but for me, at this time in my life (downsizing a bit) the payments would be too high for my budget. And I don't want to get into a high $$ lease again.
As an aside, I wish I could afford to buy it from Audi Financial myself because this is by far the best car/SUV I have ever owned. A few problems initially - that Audi repaired, but otherwise, the most solid, well built drive for the money around.
It's got 33 k miles on it and had all the Audi services - I even had oil changed every 5k, instead of 10k.
So, I am considering selling privately. I;m selling for a few thousand less than values I see listed on the net, as I want to sell sooner rather than hold out for a higher price. Where is the best place to offer it for sale? In the papers? Internet? Forums?

Bob M
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Have not been back here on AudiWorld in over a year - been otherwise preoccupied. But my 3 year lease is up on my 2009 Q5. Originally, I wanted to buy it out, but for me, at this time in my life (downsizing a bit) the payments would be too high for my budget. And I don't want to get into a high $$ lease again.
As an aside, I wish I could afford to buy it from Audi Financial myself because this is by far the best car/SUV I have ever owned. A few problems initially - that Audi repaired, but otherwise, the most solid, well built drive for the money around.
It's got 33 k miles on it and had all the Audi services - I even had oil changed every 5k, instead of 10k.
So, I am considering selling privately. I;m selling for a few thousand less than values I see listed on the net, as I want to sell sooner rather than hold out for a higher price. Where is the best place to offer it for sale? In the papers? Internet? Forums?

Bob M
internet, forum, newspaper would be best. it would of been better if the car was purchased instead of leased....since the car was leased how come your considering selling privately? correct me if i read your statement wrong.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, if your lease is up, just turn it in.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

your actually better off buying the car than to lease. the car will be payment free other than insurance and excise tax. But as for leasing your pretty much setting up a plan for yourself to keep paying for a car.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wait are you asking if you should sell the car that you are currently leasing? Is that possible?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Lease vs purchase

This is always a difficult choice so many variables, but if you love it buy it, if not try it.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

these cars held their values well so buying it out seems to be an excellent idea.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JSING
Wait are you asking if you should sell the car that you are currently leasing? Is that possible?
i dont think its possible unless you bought it out. but he didnt say he is going to buy it out. So im a bit confused.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My understanding is he wants to reduce his car expense. Buying it out is not an option as well as leasing a new one would be cost-prohibitive. However after 3-years, wouldn't the residue be (roughly) $23k? If so, I would go with the known reliable and liked vehicle and get a used car loan. This would also depend on the car budget.

I don't believe Audi Financial, on a leased vehicle, allows for a direct sale. Rather it would need to be purchased by the "renter". The OP could work with area dealers as they would be able to bid on a leased vehicle. If a 2.0T Premium Plus, it could work to his advantage.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m

Bob M
I'm in somewhat of a similar situation as Bob, except that being in Canada, our residual values and prices for both used and new are totally different.
My lease will be coming due in a few months time and I've got 50000km (approx 31k)on the odo and have babied this car all along. Got new brake rotors and low dust pads on all 4 wheels. Up to date services with AudiCare as well. Absolutely loves this vehicle - if it continues to perform trouble free like its done for the past 2 and half years, I'm going to buy it out at lease end. The buyout will only be $24xxx. I've been keeping tabs on used 2010 Q5 here without NAV and B&O asking from anywhere between $38k to $42k.
Bottom line is, you won't go wrong buying out something that still holds its value this well, something that is still current and fresh, something with a proven reliability for the past >30 month of ownership. It still drives and looks the same as that day I brought her home!
I can drive it for another year after the buyout, sell it and I'm sure I can get at least $25 - $28k for it. At the same time I've saved 12 months of lease payments. I can then look for a good used A7, my next dream car!!

Last edited by ben_aip; 05-11-2012 at 04:02 PM.