A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Transmission reset

Old 03-24-2014, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Transmission reset

Hi all,
I tried searching for this for the A8 D4 platform but could not find any answer. So does anyone knows of any procedures to reset and re-learn my driving habit?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 03-25-2014, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know this also.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Do you guys have VAG COM/VCDS?

FWIW, in case you (or others) were thinking, it's not some magical "secret" series of steps done by just manipulating buttons, shifter, throttle, etc.--not so like some generations ago perhaps. You will need VAG COM/VCDS to do it, if the same as the D3. Without it, don't bother.

With it, if it's like the D3, you go into the tranny module and select "Adaptation" (hmmm...). Then select the very first field and save it as a "0" even though that is what appears to already be in there. VAG COM doesn't make clear via its pull down known adaptations this is what triggers it in the TCU (it does include it over in the ECU), but as soon as you go for the "0" save it flags it as now being adapted. The official process (again, using D3 experience and after first triggering it via VAG COM) then involves a driving run that starts with stationary shifts in and out of D and R, and then mostly five very gradual driving and (near) coasting runs up and down through all the gears; the latter takes a pretty quiet road capable of both decent speeds to get to top gear but also the ability to coast down--to pull off if you do it chapter and verse that is. If the D4 doesn't show the gear in the display (a la my Q5) in D or S mode, I would also recode that so you can see the gear shifting and try to be as gradual as possible so the tranny clearly gets into and out of each one with its internal reaction time.

If you guys have VAG COM, I can find the reference to it again. If not, it's academic.

For anyone with D4 TSB access, the D4 specific adaptation steps might also be in the various TSB's about the tranny reflashing that has been updated across most all the ZF 8 speeds through 2013. For the earlier posters, I would also start with the reflashing anyway (via a dealer service) if still under warranty to get the TCU software up to date--shifting quality is recurring theme and complaint all over the Audi (and other manufacturer) 8 speed applications.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
FWIW, in case you (or others) were thinking, it's not some magical "secret" series of steps done by just manipulating buttons, shifter, throttle, etc.--not so like some generations ago perhaps. You will need VAG COM/VCDS to do it, if the same as the D3. Without it, don't bother.

With it, if it's like the D3, you go into the tranny module and select "Adaptation" (hmmm...). Then select the very first field and save it as a "0" even though that is what appears to already be in there. VAG COM doesn't make clear via its pull down known adaptations this is what triggers it in the TCU (it does include it over in the ECU), but as soon as you go for the "0" save it flags it as now being adapted. The official process (again, using D3 experience and after first triggering it via VAG COM) then involves a driving run that starts with stationary shifts in and out of D and R, and then mostly five very gradual driving and (near) coasting runs up and down through all the gears; the latter takes a pretty quiet road capable of both decent speeds to get to top gear but also the ability to coast down--to pull off if you do it chapter and verse that is. If the D4 doesn't show the gear in the display (a la my Q5) in D or S mode, I would also recode that so you can see the gear shifting and try to be as gradual as possible so the tranny clearly gets into and out of each one with its internal reaction time.

If you guys have VAG COM, I can find the reference to it again. If not, it's academic.

For anyone with D4 TSB access, the D4 specific adaptation steps might also be in the various TSB's about the tranny reflashing that has been updated across most all the ZF 8 speeds through 2013. For the earlier posters, I would also start with the reflashing anyway (via a dealer service) if still under warranty to get the TCU software up to date--shifting quality is recurring theme and complaint all over the Audi (and other manufacturer) 8 speed applications.
Thanks MP4.2+6.0. I will have the dealership updated the tranny firmware.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked through all the TSBs but couldn't find anything.
Perhaps I'm not looking for the correct term, or it's that I'm only looking at 4.2 TSBs.

Haven't had the TCM software updated and don't see a Campaign for my VIN in erWin.
I have heard about a reflash for the 4.0T's perceived lag.

There does seem to be an outstanding 'convenience system control' SVM though.
Something to do with the rear blind not moving after several quick activations.

Will check with the dealer in May when I go in for inspection and time based (I have very low mileage) service.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a VAG-COM cable. Still in the learning stages as I do not use it much for fear of bricking my car.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazydog
I have a VAG-COM cable. Still in the learning stages as I do not use it much for fear of bricking my car.
If you stick to the confirmed, documented mods, you should be fine. It's when the inexperienced start experimenting on their own by changing various coding that can get one into trouble. Write down any changes you make so you can go back if necessary. Also, if you activate the "Hidden Menu" mod, be sure to stay away from the "Boot Loader" MMI menu option or you may be looking to invest in an expensive MMI module.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here is a TSB applicable to 2012 D4 4.2 A8's; 8 speed adaptation also desribed

Took some searching, but found it.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=174243

First part goes over the affected vehicles and the update. Frankly, seems weird it supposedly only applies to 2012 A8's. To me that implies either less flexibility in the first year ones, or some kind of not ready for prime time 2012 change that needed more work.

Middle part about software version management is a snoozer, but if you page way toward the end of the document, there is a fairly extensive procedure in there about adaptation, definitely including some new stuff since my D3 experience/approach.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-26-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default See my further reply today just above.

Also I'm not sure which motor or year D4 you have. The other reply will make that clearer on the updating question.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If you stick to the confirmed, documented mods, you should be fine. It's when the inexperienced start experimenting on their own by changing various coding that can get one into trouble. Write down any changes you make so you can go back if necessary. Also, if you activate the "Hidden Menu" mod, be sure to stay away from the "Boot Loader" MMI menu option or you may be looking to invest in an expensive MMI module.
Yeah, I figured as much. Question I have is do most mods work across models? For example if I see something that is listed in the A4 forums would/should it work on the A8?

Are there any good mods out there for the A8?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adaptive Transmission reset