Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI Delay

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Delay

I have had my Q5 for three months now and I absolutely love it. Nevertheless, I have had one concern. I have noticed a 15- 25 second delay with the MMI when starting the car. It prevents you from changing the radio stations, volume, setting, etc.... I was told by the dealer that it is just the computer starting up but I have never noticed this issue with other cars.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 10-27-2011, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

My MMI loads pretty quickly. Nothing noticeable.

The rear view camera loads quickly when put in reverse and the ipod begins playing almost right away. (say within 3-5 seconds of ignition).

If it's taking up to 25 seconds....I'd say something is bogging down the MMI. Perhaps others can chime in.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The backup camera works perfectly and my Ipod will start playing. Its just seems that the MMI is "bogged" down and won't perform normal commands like turning the volume up and down, switching radio stations, and alternating media.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it 'busy' pairing to your phone, loading the ipod, indexing the 1000 songs copied to the jukebox etc ?!?!

as a test, eliminate some of those variables to see if that's it....

we are currently trying to finish an audio book on the ipod and by the time we've backed out of the garage and on our way, we usually have to pause it, to 'get ready' as it's already loaded...

good luck, and let us know what you find...
Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

On occasion, the MMI does a fresh boot, where you see the MMI splash screen. I really haven't figured out what causes this. Most times it just picks up where you left off. When it does do this fresh boot, it takes about 10-15 secs before you have full control.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My Q5 takes about 15 seconds to load and I always see the MMI splash Screen
Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gat821
On occasion, the MMI does a fresh boot, where you see the MMI splash screen. I really haven't figured out what causes this. Most times it just picks up where you left off. When it does do this fresh boot, it takes about 10-15 secs before you have full control.
same with mine. had it for about a month now and it usually just picks up where i left off but on occasion it gives the splash screen and takes those 15-20 seconds to start up. no rhyme or reason as to when it decides to do that.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Nick: My MMI behaves exactly as you describe and has essentially been that way since new in April 2010 (Prestige/S-Line option package). I've posted about it on this thread before. I have had it in the shop 3 times to repair/replace and nothing has worked so far. Last time they say they put in a new MMI control unit - it fixed the problem for about 48 hours.

If your problem is identical to mine, you will find that if you shut off the Q5 when playing a CD and head out to start it later or the next day, the CD will play momentarily and then, during that time when the MMI is locked up, the CD will sound like it's skipping briefly followed by complete lockup and silence until the 15-25 second glitch window is over.

Backup camera is affected as well but less consistantly on mine, and it took longer to develop this problem. I'll hit reverse and see that I have no camera function (still see the radio screen), backup, then hit drive and be pulling away before the backup camera will be displayed until I hit 7 mph or whatever the shutoff threshold is. Next time I take it in for service I'm going to tell them to keep it until it's fixed.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you have keyless entry (Advanced Key) you'll notice this more.

I've noticed that MMI starts to boot as soon as you unlock the door, so for all y'all key fob users, by the time you walk to your car, MMI has probably finished booting already, and when you start the car, the screen turns on and it appears to be instantly ready.

But yeah, about 20 seconds sounds like how long it takes for my MMI to boot up as well.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting finding.

As to the splash screen. For me, after vacations more than a few days, when I get back to my car in parking lot at airport, it shows a splash screen for sure.

My theory is that if your car is parked for a extended long time, or your battery is low, MMI would totally shutdown to save power. Otherwise, MMI just hibernates in case you need to use it pretty soon so that it can boot up faster. If you see splash screen everytime, it may indicate something wrong with MMI or even battery(Ugh!). Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by jdong
If you have keyless entry (Advanced Key) you'll notice this more.

I've noticed that MMI starts to boot as soon as you unlock the door, so for all y'all key fob users, by the time you walk to your car, MMI has probably finished booting already, and when you start the car, the screen turns on and it appears to be instantly ready.

But yeah, about 20 seconds sounds like how long it takes for my MMI to boot up as well.

Quick Reply: MMI Delay