A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Audi A8 L totaled (hopefully) with only 2800 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazydog
This is great news for sure. Now to get them to pony up for what you had. Good luck.
Ditto!!! And congrats on the end result. Any idea on what the replacement vehicle will be?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Congratulations on finally getting the good news that the vehicle is "totaled"! I'm sure you're relieved and that the final pricing details with the options will work themselves out for you favorably. You'd already made the decision to move on but this still had to be great news to finally hear "officially". I know we're all hoping you'll stay within the Audi family but keep us posted on what vehicle you decide to purchase next.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adamcb

The news? After being sent up three levels of management and directors at Progressive, they agreed to total the car. It was a combination of three costs that led them to this conclusion:

* The damage to the car (around $45-47k at this point).
* The likely need for 5-7 months of rental car.
* The considerable diminished value cost
I just want to point out that my whole angle of attack using the rental car does make a difference.

I'm not going to applaud your insurance company for "doing the right thing." I'm just glad that you are able to move on with your recovery. Congratulations!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FINAL UPDATE ON THE ACCIDENT:

I was able to negotiate about $9,000 more from Progressive. Their comps were based upon well-equipped 2013 A8L 4.0s, but not as well-equipped as mine. When I shared with them a copy of the window sticker (which I always keep) which showed about $11k more of options than they (or Mitchell's) was including on the valuation report, they immediately came back with almost $94k in value. I didn't have to demand it, I didn't have to threaten, they just did it. I must say, I was very pleased with Progressive during this final stage. Seeing that I paid about $101k for the car last May (and drove it only 2834 miles, I believe that this is a very fair appraisal and depreciation. And yes, they're adding 6.5% sales tax on top of that.

To sum up my tips - which are as much my tips as all of you who participated in this forum thread for the past month, here goes:

* Document, take lots of pictures of the damage IMMEDIATELY after the collision. You might not have an opportunity to do it again.

* Always keep a copy (even a picture with your phone) of the window sticker when you buy a new car, so that you know EXACTLY what is on the car.

* Go and establish an in-person relationship with the collision center, even before the car arrives at their place. (And if it's an A8, make sure it's an Authorized Audi collision center and that they have the equipment and methodology to handle aluminum.

* Document every single conversation that you have with anyone about anything. I use Evernote and have every conversation, email and thought time stamped and copied into there.

* If you're dealing with a high-line car like an A8, go up the chain of command a few notches with your insurance folks. They're going to have to make the decisions on $100k+ cars anyway, so get them involved.

* Be persistent, but patient. Know when to be nice, when to be forceful (but polite), know when (and WHEN NOT) to discuss lawyers and medical professionals.

* Get checked out by a MD if there is any possibility of injury. Talk to a lawyer (even informational discussion) if you think you might have issues with the insurance company.

* On a total collision claim, understand the calculation that the insurance company is making, and understand it's just about a number. With more expensive cars, the 50-60% of value numbers don't work, but where you can make up LOTS of space is with the loss of use, diminished value, time the repairs will take, rental, etc.)

* Have as much underinsured insurance as your policy will allow. I had $50k, the max, and would have more if they'd let me.

* Don't be a grump. You can be pissed off for a few days or even a week, but recognize that THIS IS A CAR and it can be replaced. You? Not so much.

* Value the friendships (physical and virtual - like on this message board) that you have. I will never meet most of you here on this forum, but you have all helped me get the best possible resolution out of a situation that was initially awful. You have my sincere gratitude and appreciation, and hope that you will NEVER have to do anything like this. But if you do, I am hear to help however I can. PM me and I will share any insights that I can.

And finally to answer the final question many of you probably have - what is Adam driving now?

Well, you all know I had narrowed it down to an 2014 S8, a Panamera and a Tesla. The S8 was out of my price range (I could afford it, but I had set a $100k budget and was going to stick to it on principle.) Panamera was a nada after the second drive. So, I got the Tesla.

The gallery here in Austin, TX had a 2013 grey Model S P85+ (the highest performance Tesla) that had been one of the loaners and made the trip back/forth to Dallas (where the new Tesla gallery opens this weekend). Loaded with every option with a sticker of $122k. In perfect shape. Tesla doesn't discount on new inventory or dicker on pricing, but they do discount on loaners/demonstrators at $1 per mile and 1% for every month the car has been in inventory. I got $15k off, plus the $7500 federal tax credit. I met my budget. (BTW this not a typical loaner, which are usually the non-performance models in the $70k range. This was a car that someone ordered and then backed out on.)

The Tesla is unbelievable. Not as luxurious as the A8 (nothing is) but 0-60 in 4.2, 300 mile range and more technology (17" HD touchscreen and 12" HD dash screen) than I have ever experienced. I didn't buy it for the environmental or energy savings (although it's pretty cool to fill it up with about $2 in electricity for 300 miles), but for the performance - there is no power band - it just goes and goes and goes. And because I am a technology geek, and this car satisfies that craving. I'll post pictures in the next few days and put up a link.

I know I'll be back to Audi - likely replacing my M3 convertible for a S5 convertible and maybe in a few years back into the next-gen A8. Audi saved my life, and not just that but I love the brand (too many Audi hats, jackets and coffee mugs to leave you guys completely). But I said after the accident that I had an opportunity to do something new after this accident and get something other than the car I was driving for the past 9 months. I decided to do that.

Thanks again for everyone's help...

Adam

Last edited by adamcb; 04-03-2014 at 10:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by adamcb:
faisalfaisal (05-16-2023), mikesvwservice (05-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2014, 03:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool choice! Congratulations!

Safe joyful travels on all roads!

Free4134
The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (05-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2014, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool choice; full acceleration launch is just surreal the first time you experience it!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by adamcb
FINAL UPDATE ON THE ACCIDENT:

Panamera was a nada after the second drive...

Congrats on how everything concluded. Curious about what your reaction to the Panny was. What model Panamera and what happened on the 2nd test drive that soured you on the car?

derf
Old 04-04-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Great news on the insurance and settlement situation!

If not for the climate I live in (very snowy winters), I would definitely consider a Tesla Model S. I was recently in Palo Alto and visited a Tesla store there. Fascinating overall vehicle but I didn't test drive one---they were so busy with their demonstrators that it was a long wait to try one. It would be ideal to walk into my garage and be able to choose between an Audi A8L or Tesla Model S depending on the weather and length of the drive/commute!

Good luck with the Tesla and don't forget about your Audi friends!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tesla is great. My recent experience might interest you.

I have test drove it. Liked it very much and have been giving it free promotion to my acquaintances. But it would not work for me as I live in Reno and trips (250 mi) to SF are routine. I pay attention to how people drive their Tesla very chance I get and have noticed that they tend to use the high torque quite liberally. Over two days last week, I encounter one on Rt. 17 in CA and another on Rt. 101 just north of the Golden Gate. I could not resist tailing them (given the great road situation), which they noticed right away (hard to miss the DDL of the A8). Without fail, both stepped on it. It went on for a while; it was definitely spirited (Even my wife, who is usually nonplussed, made a comment.) but not overly aggressive on my part. Then they let me pass. I did not; that was not the point.

I think that it is great that the Tesla drivers felt that the car was up to that level of performance and used it. (I have a 2012 A8L with sports differential and 20 in. AS tires.)

Quick Reply: 2013 Audi A8 L totaled (hopefully) with only 2800 miles...