A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in joining the D3 club

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in joining the D3 club

Toward the middle or end of summer I will be in a position to look for a new car. I am very drawn to the D3 platform because I love the looks of the A8L

All of my research so far has led me so far to look at a 2007-2008 model with the timing chains vs the belts. Aside from some MMI finicky-ness. What else is there to look out for in these cars? My wife and I like to take at least one road trip a year and having a nice luxobarge would be heaven! One in my price range would have anywhere from 70-100k miles. I don't want something I will need to wrench on or pay to have someone wrench on every other weekend. My current car gives me enough of that ****.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the board!

2007+ is good decision. As far as I remember late 2008 got another smaller facelift. I like larger side mirrors.

If any luck A8 won't make you wrenching, but she will definitely require communication with your laptop through VCDS cable and software.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mishar
Welcome to the board!

2007+ is good decision. As far as I remember late 2008 got another smaller facelift. I like larger side mirrors.

If any luck A8 won't make you wrenching, but she will definitely require communication with your laptop through VCDS cable and software.
That shouldn't be an issue. Being in IT i have no shortage of access to older (not that old, Dell E6400) laptops. Do you have a link to a place i can look at/buy the cable and software?

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

I must say I am most looking forward to a smooth rattle free ride. I currently daily drive a lowered 99 Mustang Cobra. But it is quickly becoming very agitating since it is constantly needing work of some kind.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ross-Tech

Check it like any other car. They don't rust (aluminum body) so you can skip that. Scan it, or require the most recent scan. If you are not sure by than post the scan here and guys will help you.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

she will definitely require communication with your laptop through VCDS cable and software.
As Misha said, VCDS is a must have tool.

The new wifi version is still in Beta but works great VCHN
Old 04-21-2014, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you, DarkShadow, and want to stay in that mileage due to price. I was leaning towards an 07+ due to the FSI engine and no need for the timing belt change, but I just want to make sure there are no other known problems with that engine. A timing belt change isn't all that major to me as long as the seller would knock some $$ off if it needed to be changed, but then I think the FSI's get better fuel economy and there's a little more HP. Either way I am going with an 06-08 this time.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in the same boat and looking in the same mileage range as well.
I feel like an 08+ is what I want to go with because there were a few changes:
1. New taillamp design.
2. New signal mirrors.
3. 3G MMI.
4. Lane departure and blind spot warning.
5. Rectangular foglamps (vs round).
6. Aluminum trim in the interior and round aluminum spot on push-to-start button.

I only really care about items 1-4, but if I had an 07, I'd get the urge to retrofit those things which would end up making it cheaper to buy an 08 in the first place since the price difference of 1 year isn't that much.

One huge focus I have is I want a car that has never had any body or paintwork done. I found an almost perfect car 650-miles away, but I noticed in pics it's missing the foglamp assemblies and the grille part that surrounds them. Carfax notes that the water pump and light bulbs have been replaced at the dealership that currently has it. Do the lamps need to come out to replace the water pump? I'm trying to figure out if it's been wrecked which is why they're missing, or if some absent-minded mechanic left them out on accident.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I looked the models over extensively before making my decision. Wanted a daytona pearl grey, b/o system was a must, carbon fiber interior trim a must. Ended up finding an 09' at the right price. I still like the 07' wheels though.
Side notes:
S8 does not come with ventilated seats or motorized side curtains as far as I have found.
A8 W12 models have some nice interior options if you wanted to head into the W12 line up. Also their rear splash pan and exhaust tips are W12 specific. Refrigerator is an option also, but not necessarily needed. Plenty of interior color options were produced, some are less desireable and even questionable in my opinion.
Good luck with your search!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
3. 3G MMI.
I believe D3 didn't come to North America with 3G MMI.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe D3 didn't come to North America with 3G MMI.
I'm sure you're correct.
Some other threads (like this one: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2838332) implied the 3G MMI has the glossy bezel and 08s have a glossy bezel and is also the correct year for intro of 3G MMI so I jumped to an incorrect conclusion. In fact, I just noticed there is no joystick thing on the top of the **** of an 08 as there would be if it had 3G MMI.

An unrelated question: Do US 08-10 with the newer style taillights have amber blinkers as required in Europe, or are they red? I noticed a current body A4 or A6 have US style combination red stop/tail/turn despite the exterior plastics having a clear section that would likely house a separate amber blinker on European versions.