A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 4.2L Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2005 4.2L Radiator

Hey Guys!

I know it's been a while since I posted here. Just wanted to update you on my remaining Audi. (2005 Audi A8 4.2) Currently has 135k on the clock. Noticed that the coolant light came on once again, and it's time for a new radiator. Had it pressure tested and it is leaking from both sides unfortunately. When I say the light came on once again, last year or so it came on and the coolant reservoir had a crack near the lid and it was losing coolant that way. Now it seems the radiator needs to be replaced. Such a large problem that there has been quite a few revisions to the radiator, and new brackets and supports have been made to accommodate the changes. Having this replaced soon to the tune of 1k. Also having my serp belt replaced as when I did the timing belt service, Blauparts sent me a D2 serp belt instead of a D3.

Will keep you guys updated. Other than that the car is running strong. Had to add a quart-quart and a half every 5k or so; could be due to the age with combination of a lighter fill last oil change time around.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My radiator went in my 05 at 75K. Did timing belt and everything else at the same time. I remember it was an updated radiator and not all of the hoses lined up...had to block an inlet off on the top on drivers side. Kept the car until 115K then traded her in for A6...mistake...now looking for another D3! Good luck
Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike141
My radiator went in my 05 at 75K. Did timing belt and everything else at the same time. I remember it was an updated radiator and not all of the hoses lined up...had to block an inlet off on the top on drivers side. Kept the car until 115K then traded her in for A6...mistake...now looking for another D3! Good luck
Hey Brozee, nice to hear from you!

Do either of you guys know if all the extra work is documented in the flat-rate manual? I ask because I want a quote from an indy and I don't want to be dishonest but at the same time, I don't want to give them carte blanche.
How much did it cost Mike (including extras as I'll do them, too)? Did you DIY, dealer, or indy?
Mine's a 2004, but IIRC it needs the updates including a new hose routed/installed. Sigh. Tiny leak - been the same for the last 50k (winter = 0.750L to bring from light on up to mid level every month, summer every 3-4 months). Appears to be at the bottom driver's side right in the radiator. Big pink buildup; nothing wet above/around it.

TIA (and sorry for the small hijack),
Tom
Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine had leak same spot (bottom drivers side). I really can't answer your question though Tom. A good friend of one who works at a VW dealer did everything for me. But I remember he was baffled at the updated radiator and really couldn't find anything on it. And we did everything at once. Right before it starting leaking my car was hit in that same spot, but the loser insurance adjuster claimed it was wear and tear...wouldn't cover it. I remember reading somewhere here that there was a TSB for coolant hoses to adopt the newer radiators, but not certain.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

My radiator blew a hole during the extreme cold a few months ago. Bought a new radiator from a dealer; the new radiator has an additional port. For some sort of bypass function which makes filling the cooling system a breeze. Three new hose assemblies are required with the updated radiator. One of the hoses looks about the same but the key notch is rotated 180° requiring the new hose. Also, the fan shroud needs a hole added. The dealer printed out a TSB that gave the hole location and size requirements. It said to use a step drill bit. I used my trusty Bosch quick change hole saw kit. Like the timing belt job, the front end of the car has to come off. German Engineering....

An aftermarket supplier may have the older style radiator which means no mandatory purchase of the three hoses for about $200.00. Just sayin'
Old 11-26-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike141

I am in the same boat now with the updated radiator, how did you block off the extra port? I just got a Behr and looking at options without getting all the new hoses. thanks
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default M.B., you missed his serp. belt vendor... ;)

Back when the post was new that is. Mister Bally would no doubt respond again, unless he is back on triple secret probation or something.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-26-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Mister Bally will no doubt respond again, unless he is on triple secret probation or something.
Sounds like Mr Bally bought the hoses but any input would help
Old 11-26-2014, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I bought the new hoses to do it right. If you dont want to, my only suggestion would be to attach a short piece of high pressure/temp. hose to the additional port using a hose clamp. Then, plug the open end of the hose with a brass pipe plug securing with a hose clamp.

Remember, one of the other large ports has the key notch 180° out of phase compared to the old radiator. If you don't go with the new hoses, you will have to grind away the key on the old hose (then it will no longer be fixed as it can rotate but who cares?) or on the new radiator.

With the radiator under full pressure, I'm not sure if a rubber hose secured by clamps will hold. Keep back when opening the hood etc.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I bought the new hoses to do it right. If you dont want to, my only suggestion would be to attach a short piece of high pressure/temp. hose to the additional port using a hose clamp. Then, plug the open end of the hose with a brass pipe plug securing with a hose clamp.

Remember, one of the other large ports has the key notch 180° out of phase compared to the old radiator. If you don't go with the new hoses, you will have to grind away the key on the old hose (then it will no longer be fixed as it can rotate but who cares?) or on the new radiator.

With the radiator under full pressure, I'm not sure if a rubber hose secured by clamps will hold. Keep back when opening the hood etc.
Im going to order the new hoses to just make sure its done right. So I will only need the top updated hoses for the big port and the other smaller hose for the additional small port? so in all two new hoses?

Quick Reply: 2005 4.2L Radiator