A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky front strut or electric issue, VCDS codes suggest latter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky front strut or electric issue, VCDS codes suggest latter?

So after I replaced my front left air shock (fixed the issue, weee) , I got around scanning the car and the codes logged from the old shock mention something about the Nsomething valve inside the shock not being responsive.

Is that the usual code for leaky strut, or was this some connection issue that i should've checked first, before replacing it? I sprayed the old shock down with soap water and saw no bubbles, though it was definitely hissing as the front left corder went down.

edit: fixed for clarity

Last edited by halik; 04-14-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It is electrical connection on the top of the shock absorber, or something wrong within the shock absorber itself.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts
Default +1.

Is the car still maintaining ride level when in jacking mode? Only electrical component in the strut is the damper hardness adjustment valve/solenoid. If the electrical connection to the top of the strut is ok, then likely a faulty damper. Only way to fix is to replace. You also mention it's making a hissing noise too indicating an air leak. Is the replacement strut a new, used, or refurbed unit?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Is the car still maintaining ride level when in jacking mode? Only electrical component in the strut is the damper hardness adjustment valve/solenoid. If the electrical connection to the top of the strut is ok, then likely a faulty damper. Only way to fix is to replace. You also mention it's making a hissing noise too indicating an air leak. Is the replacement strut a new, used, or refurbed unit?
I replaced it with a new one, happened to find the oem one online for a good price.

I should add, all the codes are from the OLD shock that i swapped out (no issues/codes with the new one), I was just curious whether the old one is any good given that the code implies electrical issues. Are there any internal vent valves on the shock itself?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Was it dropping overnight in Lift mode?

Arnott and the other rebuilders buy "cores". They may be able to repair the valve when replacing the air bladder.
When lowering my car the air release seems to be at the shocks. But I thought this is dumped at the control valve.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Originally Posted by halik
I replaced it with a new one, happened to find the oem one online for a good price.

I should add, all the codes are from the OLD shock that i swapped out (no issues/codes with the new one), I was just curious whether the old one is any good given that the code implies electrical issues. Are there any internal vent valves on the shock itself?
Got it. Thought it was with the new one. Not sure if the old damper valve can be repaired. Best speak to the likes of Arnott. If so you may be able to sell them your old unit?
Old 04-15-2014, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Arnott and the other rebuilders buy "cores". They may be able to repair the valve when replacing the air bladder.
When lowering my car the air release seems to be at the shocks. But I thought this is dumped at the control valve.
The system vents to atmosphere via a silencer and air dryer around the compressor. The struts sound like they're venting, but that's just the noise of the air going back through the check valve and pipe work by the strut....unless you have an airbag leak of course
Old 04-16-2014, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
The system vents to atmosphere via a silencer and air dryer around the compressor. The struts sound like they're venting, but that's just the noise of the air going back through the check valve and pipe work by the strut....unless you have an airbag leak of course
I thought so as well, didn't see any outlet for the air to vent on the shock body itself.