Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New to me '12 q5

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me '12 q5

Hi everyone!
A few weeks ago I picked up a '12 Q5 3.2 S-Line with 20" wheels.

Got it all winterized with Pirelli Scorps and Digifits.

I'm a long time audi owner but my first SUV.

The first thing that happened was the advanced key quit working and now my TPMS alert is on..lol.

The latter is prob. just from the temperature changes.

With that being said, I just love the vehicle. I'm working in northern Ontario on contract where there's substantial snow and ice.

I've taken a quick look through the forum for info but i'm wondering if there's anything I need to know in general about the vehicle? I do know about the carbon buildup issue (my wife drives a A4 3.2 cabrio) but I'm really impressed with the car's fuel economy.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, and congrats on the new acquisition!
I have a couple questions about your Pirelli winter tires:

Are they the "Scorpion Winter" or "Winter Carving Edge"?
Any opinions thus far on the winter driving performance?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Welcome, and congrats on the new acquisition!
I have a couple questions about your Pirelli winter tires:

Are they the "Scorpion Winter" or "Winter Carving Edge"?
Any opinions thus far on the winter driving performance?
They are the Scorpions.. 255/45-20. They work really well but they are new.

If you're looking for the BESt in winter traction I would personally go to a 18" or 19" OEM size with Blizzaks or Toyos as they have the best ice traction.

As my summers are performance rated, anything is an improvement.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KraTToR
They are the Scorpions.. 255/45-20. They work really well but they are new.

If you're looking for the BESt in winter traction I would personally go to a 18" or 19" OEM size with Blizzaks or Toyos as they have the best ice traction.

As my summers are performance rated, anything is an improvement.
I actually picked up some Michelin Latitude X-Ice2's in 235/55/19 for my SQ5.
I *almost* bought the Scorpion Winters, but decided against it because they're new and relatively unproven.

Web consensus on the XI2's is that they are lacking when it comes to slush performance, and I have to agree.
I'm disappointed enough that I'll be looking at another brand when it comes time to replace them.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try replacing the battery in the key fob??? TPMS?? Are you sure. My 2010 and 2014 do not have sensors.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, the tire pressure probably dropped off due to a temperature change. Check the pressures, and calibrate the system through the MMI.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Did you try replacing the battery in the key fob??? TPMS?? Are you sure. My 2010 and 2014 do not have sensors.
Tried both key FOBs but I like the battery idea. Yes my car has TPMS, the reset is under Car on the MMI. Checked the tire pressure the old fashion way and there was a slight discrepancy between the left and right side of the vehicle. As I just got snow tires installed, the installer probably didn't care enough to make sure they're all the same pressure.

TPMS is an option and this car is fully optioned with push-button start, blind spot, TPMS, etc.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KraTToR
Tried both key FOBs but I like the battery idea. Yes my car has TPMS, the reset is under Car on the MMI. Checked the tire pressure the old fashion way and there was a slight discrepancy between the left and right side of the vehicle. As I just got snow tires installed, the installer probably didn't care enough to make sure they're all the same pressure.

TPMS is an option and this car is fully optioned with push-button start, blind spot, TPMS, etc.
the installers tire inflator can be set to a certain pressure and it will turn off to avoid overfill. So I don't think they made a mistake on the pressure. usually the temperatures will be the one that messes with the tire pressure.