Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

jerking while braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jerking while braking

Hi!

Recently my car started to act a bit strange. I feel some kind of jerking while I'm braking and coming to a complete stop. It feels as if the braking disks aren't "straight" anymore.

The car has 10 000 miles on it. Any ideas? Maybe anybody had anything like it also?

Appreciate.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Is this jerking a constant sensation, or does it happen and then stop and then come back again as you slow more? (i.e could it be the transmission downshifting?)

Are you in Normal or Sport mode?

If I am driving in S mode with my car, the transmission downshifts cause serious jerking while braking the car.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Is this jerking a constant sensation, or does it happen and then stop and then come back again as you slow more? (i.e could it be the transmission downshifting?)

Are you in Normal or Sport mode?

If I am driving in S mode with my car, the transmission downshifts cause serious jerking while braking the car.
I do not think it's the transmission. It feels normal when the car just slows down by itself without me applying the brake...
Old 12-03-2013, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, seems your rotors are warped. My Audi Mechanic told me they cannot be turned. Sounds just like my issue. Not horrible but noticeable.
Hope that helps
Old 12-03-2013, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Doing car wash with cold water when the rotors are still hot could warp the rotors.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qqq1970
Doing car wash with cold water when the rotors are still hot could warp the rotors.
I was always wondering about that. If that's true, I'd think the water temp wouldn't matter too much, since the temp differential between warm and cold water is too small to matter, in comparison to the temperature of the hot rotor.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DenissM
Hi!

Recently my car started to act a bit strange. I feel some kind of jerking while I'm braking and coming to a complete stop. It feels as if the braking disks aren't "straight" anymore.

The car has 10 000 miles on it. Any ideas? Maybe anybody had anything like it also?

Appreciate.
I do not think that brake rotors can warp. It may be that some of the brake pad has embedded into the rotor. Have you been doing any high speed full braking recently? This can cause a transfer of the pad material onto the rotor, and would feel like the rotor is uneven when braking.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

If you had "hot spots" or glazing on your rotors, you'd feel more of a sluggish stop when speed is below 10mph. Also, when I first read the title to the post, my first thought was that I didn't know it was possible, and that you should try to keep both hands on the wheel

Originally Posted by Rlk1
I do not think that brake rotors can warp. It may be that some of the brake pad has embedded into the rotor. Have you been doing any high speed full braking recently? This can cause a transfer of the pad material onto the rotor, and would feel like the rotor is uneven when braking.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rlk1
Of course brake rotors can warp. These aren't Carbon Ceramic. Any metal can warp.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Of course brake rotors can warp. These aren't Carbon Ceramic. Any metal can warp.
While today's OEM rotor materials are less susceptible to warping than the past, it definitely can happen. My allroad has had warped rotors replaced twice over the years. Once after 30K miles and 5K miles later due to defective manufacturing of the replacement set.

Quick Reply: jerking while braking