Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Electric Steering Update - Confirmed Fix Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's a matter of preference and personal experience. After the update, as with many other folks, most of my issues with the steering were resolved and since I prefer a lighter steering effort, it's fine for me, not perfect, but very acceptable. For a lot of owners, it's not a big deal as it is for others - it doesn't prevent me from enjoying driving the car. In this case, trying to determine from reading posts if it would be a major issue for you isn't going to be of much help. Best thing to do is find a 2014 A6 and drive it to see if it bothers you enough to pass on an A6.
Thanks for the feedback. I've driven 3 brand new A6's at various dealers and they handled and steered very nicely. the steering problems, as I understand it, don't show up for a couple thousand miles. My closest dealer is also 75 miles away.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

My wandering issue showed up immediately after delivery. The update resolved it about 90%.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Good news!!! 'old' [stiffer] steering feel is back!

Originally Posted by ko_audi
Sorry to drag up a relatively old thread, but.... MAN I wish I'd been more on top of the forum lately, and had seen what all of you were saying about this update.

I had my 2012 A6 in for an interim oil change this week, and was told about the recommended software update re the steering. Figured it only could be a good thing, right? WRONG.

Like some others (especially in warmer climates -- I'm in Southern CA), I hadn't been experiencing any problems with my steering. None.

After this "update," though, it's absolutely horrendous. As others have reported, dynamic mode (which I typically used) now is nonexistent; the steering essentially feels like it's in comfort mode all the time (or worse) -- with the looseness exaggerated even more at slower speeds. It's absolutely atrocious ... at least for anyone who prefers a tighter steering feel. Thanks to this update, I went from loving my car (ever since I purchased it in Sept. 2011) to now getting ticked off every time I get behind the wheel. I know it's irrational to get upset about this, but I truly feel like someone has taken my car away from me, and instead replaced it with a weak, annoying-to-drive, 'cheap' substitute. It's incredibly frustrating. Had the car been like this originally, I NEVER would have purchased it.

Again, it's my own fault for having been off the forum a bit, and overlooking this thread ... but damn this irks me.

Other than Manish, has anyone else had any luck getting Audi to revert their software back to the pre-update settings? I have a request in to my service advisor as I type this ... but I'm not overly optimistic I'm going to get a result I like after they run it up the chain of command. (Speaking of which -- where did you get yours done, Manish? Do you go to AutoGallery in WH, or somewhere else? Maybe I'll be able to go to 'your' guy, too.)

Anyhow, sorry for the rant everyone. But if you're reading this and (1) haven't had the update done yet (and don't want/need it for the intended reasons, of course), and (2) prefer stiffer steering feel ... then avoid the update like the plague.

OK. Rant over.

I wish I could give everyone some specific / technical input about how this happened, but ... after two months of hating my steering (after the 'mandatory' update), I'm back to loving it again.

The difference? I had my car in for an unscheduled service (the thermostat was stuck -- see my comments from today in the "overheating" thread), and when I got it back, the steering had reverted to the way it used to be! So far as I know, all the dealer did was replace my thermostat and conduct some sort of brake system flush (as indicated at the 2-year ownership mark); nothing was done to the steering. Regardless, something they did must have reset the system, because the original steering feel is back!

I realize this is essentially worthless information, since I can't give any of you who are displeased with the post-update steering a definitive answer regarding how you can get it fixed. Sorry. I just figured I'd post this, anyway, since it might give you all hope concerning a future fix -- perhaps in conjunction with your next service. Meanwhile, I'll follow up with the service department who handled my thermostat issue, and see if I can get any more information about how this stroke of luck may have happened....
Old 04-21-2014, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

It's either all in your head or there is a new steering update. Let us know what they say. Also, check your work order/invoice; they would normally note any update performed.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's either all in your head or...
Haha..that's what I was thinking when I saw the post! ! But you'll never know.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

So far as I know, all the dealer did was replace my thermostat and conduct some sort of brake system flush (as indicated at the 2-year ownership mark); nothing was done to the steering. Regardless, something they did must have reset the system, because the original steering feel is back!

I realize this is essentially worthless information...
That brake system flush may mean more than it sounds. In some cars the ABS system has to be cycled to flush/bleed the fluid. That would mean that they were into the body control module side of the computer.

When you talk to the service department, try to find out in detail what they do during the brake system flush.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish I could give everyone some specific / technical input about how this happened, but ... after two months of hating my steering (after the 'mandatory' update), I'm back to loving it again.
I also believe something changes with the steering like there is some long-term adaptation going on. Immediately after I had the steering update done at my 15k mi service, I noticed that the steering was very light and easy to turn. I was still happy with it because I prefer light steering, and it fixed my issue where I had difficulty keeping the car straight on the highway. Now I am at 20k mi, and the steering feels firmer. The difference with you is I never had any service done in the interim, or changed anything with the car...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
I also believe something changes with the steering like there is some long-term adaptation going on. Immediately after I had the steering update done at my 15k mi service, I noticed that the steering was very light and easy to turn. I was still happy with it because I prefer light steering, and it fixed my issue where I had difficulty keeping the car straight on the highway. Now I am at 20k mi, and the steering feels firmer. The difference with you is I never had any service done in the interim, or changed anything with the car...
Also, this change was dramatic -- and immediate. Just like others have suggested, I was seriously skeptical of my own impressions, thinking it must just be wishful thinking (and in my head). But I'm convinced it's legit: The change truly was a sudden one, completely 'night and day' between the morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up. It was just as drastic as the change I experienced following the initial steering update two months ago ... but this time, obviously (and thankfully), in the opposite direction.

Trust me, if I had the ability to deceive myself at will into thinking it had improved, I definitely would have done so -- time and again -- over the past two months! I may have noticed a gradual improvement / adjustment like you're mentioning, too (or perhaps just had started to get more used to it?) ... but this was completely different.

I haven't had a chance to follow up with the service department yet (re the "two year brake flush" they performed, and what it entails); FWIW, though, the paperwork doesn't mention anything other than the thermostat replacement and the brake flush. If I learn anything else, I'll let everyone know!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually I should have said that at some point between 15k and 18k miles the steering probably did suddenly change. I'm just unsure as to when that actually happened. It was more like I just drove my car each day without paying much attention to the steering, but one day I realized the steering was different, and a lot firmer. In fact, I believe I even went into the Drive Select menu to check that it was still in Comfort mode, and it was.

So I can't really give any explanations either, but I do feel like my steering is great as it is right now.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
Actually I should have said that at some point between 15k and 18k miles the steering probably did suddenly change. I'm just unsure as to when that actually happened. It was more like I just drove my car each day without paying much attention to the steering, but one day I realized the steering was different, and a lot firmer. In fact, I believe I even went into the Drive Select menu to check that it was still in Comfort mode, and it was.

So I can't really give any explanations either, but I do feel like my steering is great as it is right now.
Got it; sounds like a pretty similar situation then, after all, aside from my intervening service appointment as the possible 'x-factor.' In any case, I'm a happy camper now!

Quick Reply: Electric Steering Update - Confirmed Fix Now Available