A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back into another Audi

Old 04-16-2014, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back into another Audi

Hey everyone. I've been mostly a lurker here for over a decade and I'm collecting another set of rings. This time, a 2007 A8L W12. It's in pretty great shape, it's got about 70k miles, has just had brakes, tires and the 75k service done. What do I need to be concerned about with this vehicle? Anything W12-specific that I need to consider above and beyond the typical used car stuff? I'm anticipating a "Oh yeah, at 100K you need the whole thing rebuilt by pygmies" but hoping there is no such looming issue.

Part of my discomfort is that all I've had are S4s, an S5 and a Q7 without the bells and whistles, so no selective ride suspension or other doo-dads that I have no experience with from a maintenance perspective. I've been trying to digest as much of this forum as possible, but there are only so many minutes in the day available to me, so I may miss things.

Thanks so much!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

That's very very nice car. Low millage, not too old. Go for it and enjoy.

Reading forums always have in mind that people mostly post when they have a problem. Something can and probably will go wrong, but nothing that can't be fixed. If you can do things yourself it won't be expensive. There are quite a few independent mechanics that already know A8's, including W12. Around here are very knowledgeable owners always willing to help.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The only thing I dread are certain O2 sensors and a starter. 02 sensors will go out at some point and one calls for the motor removal. Starter is also calls for motor removable but I don't remember anyone's going out yet.

The coolant sensor is calls for motor removable but John in NJ has done one by removing just the intake plenum.

All A8 will have some sort of air suspension issues but only time will tell.

Hope you enjoy your W12 as much as I do.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks a lot, guys. I've read up on that sensor replacement thread, that doesn't scare me too badly. If others go forth before me, I'm happy to follow!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's arrived!

Now all I need to do is register it and get plates and give it a good wash and touch up the issues in the paint and get floor mats and....
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats! More photo after a car wash okay?
Old 05-10-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Only the post cat O2's are hard/maybe motor removal

Pre cat ones are relatively easy, apparently easier than the 4.2. BTDT on the W12, and earlier on my 2000 A6 4.2.

In addition to the list of things flagged so far, I can add:

Cam positioning sensor: for me, the exhaust on the driver's side. At 100K miles. Barely possible to get to (with the intake off for working room), but I did it.

Water pump. I notice mine now has a minor drip out the front seal. Plan to tackle shortly. Unlike the pre-FSI 4.2's where you have to deal with the timing belt, it's a simple serp. belt drive. Will try to do without moving the front clip forward.

Torque support--a front quasi engine mount in front of the main one on the (U.S.) passenger side toward the far front of the motor. Mine was replaced under CPO warranty. A few others have found the same on their W12's. It can just barely be seen down through the right side air box area; if you see brown stains down along nearby parts, it has cracked open and spilled its dampening oil. Very difficult replace apparently; 12+ hours. I did one on my 2000 A6 4.2 though, and found it wasn't that hard, though the passenger cylinder head was off at the time.

Like all the A8's that come so equipped, with time the sunroof wind deflector motor will also die or make noise, and the rear seat aux. electric duct heaters will throw VCDS codes. Latter pricy, but easy to replace. Probably will have some soft door close sensor or motor issues, and maybe a bad door handle keyless entry sensor.

As a 2007 Audi (any model), both main battery and TPMS sensors should be due to die any time, if they haven't been replaced.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-10-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Welcome; floor mats

Welcome on board! Another W12'er.

FWIW, dealer still can get the OE mats if you need the regular mats. I ordered a replacement front set recently as mine get older to keep the car looking fresh. I expect they will end of lie them before too long now from my 2000 A6 experience. I also use the Audi winter mats for the A8L.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah the winter ones look about $100 online, which is good. I haven't found the cloth ones, but I need a set. This car looks barely used inside and out, just the things that are unavoidable. One of the soft close sensors is wonky, the door goes to close, gives up, tries again, gives up, etc. But the rest work well.

These all came with rearview cameras, right? There's definitely a lens in place in the back above the plate, but when I shift into reverse the radio doesn't change screens like my Q7 or S5 did. There is an aftermarket Denison ipod interface, so perhaps the camera got unplugged from the head unit? Where should I look and where do I get the tools to yank the head unit?

Thanks, again, this board - and incidentally your contributions in particular, MP4.2+6.0, is one of the reasons I bought this car with confidence.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by born_slippy
These all came with rearview cameras, right?
Right, but if it is not working it can be a number of things. Starting from the easy end, it might be turned off by VCDS for some weird reason, wiring, including coax cable, might be faulty, some of components too. VCDS scan would help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back into another Audi