Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Newbie with ? on new A6 purchase

Old 01-31-2014, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with ? on new A6 purchase

we completed negotiation for a fairly loaded A6 and went to dealer to complete purchase. all papers were signed but, car wouldn't start and they offered to drive it to us after it was fixed and detailed. this was wed. yesterday, i got a call from them telling me that they initially thought it was the battery(car was in a storage area that lost heat and we had -13 temps earlier this week) but now have said battery is fine and there was a faulty starter which they are fixing. they said that all the electrical components were checked and are in working order.They are offering to drive it to us tues. they assure me that they are delivering a properly working new car... we are not quite sure what to do.how would we know this is not a lemon? hard to believe that it will take them 6 days to diagnose and fix this issue along with complete detail. beginning to wonder whether Audi is a reliable brand. no $$ have changed hands. they have offered us various minor perks like an extra detail,weekend in area hotel, audi jackets,etc. they have refused to give us audicare though. any thoughts appreciated!!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by howardlee2
we completed negotiation for a fairly loaded A6 and went to dealer to complete purchase. all papers were signed but, car wouldn't start and they offered to drive it to us after it was fixed and detailed. this was wed. yesterday, i got a call from them telling me that they initially thought it was the battery(car was in a storage area that lost heat and we had -13 temps earlier this week) but now have said battery is fine and there was a faulty starter which they are fixing. they said that all the electrical components were checked and are in working order.They are offering to drive it to us tues. they assure me that they are delivering a properly working new car... we are not quite sure what to do.how would we know this is not a lemon? hard to believe that it will take them 6 days to diagnose and fix this issue along with complete detail. beginning to wonder whether Audi is a reliable brand. no $$ have changed hands. they have offered us various minor perks like an extra detail,weekend in area hotel, audi jackets,etc. they have refused to give us audicare though. any thoughts appreciated!!
i would cancel the order and get a different car, will make you sleep better at night
Old 01-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hell yeah. Cancel it. Tell them to keep their jackets. Piece of mind on 60k +
Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 PM
Banned

Do not accept that car at all. It won't matter what they offer you to take it. Just walk away. It's not your car until it gets delivered. Simply walk away and use another dealer. Do not drive it off the lot. New cars come off the assembly line ever 2-3 minutes. Don't ever feel rushed to close the deal.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

One defective part out of the thousands in the car does not necessarily make a lemon. Even a new, ordered car can have an issue or two. If you are happy with your choice and satisfied with the price, I wouldn't be too concerned over a replaced starter. If not, then pass and find another one but realize any new car can have a problem or two after delivery. That's what a warranty is for.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would cancel it - not a good sign. You will always be wondering in the back of your mind.

Tell them find you a different A6 or find a different dealer
Old 01-31-2014, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the rest who said to cancel. Not the right way to start off, and once you take delivery it's yours. Tell them to find you a new car or find yourself another dealer.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have to agree with most of the folks here. I would not accept anything less than perfect on a new car. Cancel it.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
One defective part out of the thousands in the car does not necessarily make a lemon. Even a new, ordered car can have an issue or two. If you are happy with your choice and satisfied with the price, I wouldn't be too concerned over a replaced starter. If not, then pass and find another one but realize any new car can have a problem or two after delivery. That's what a warranty is for.
Well said. New cars unfortunately have problems. That one developed one before you even took it but it could have just as easily been one week after you got it. It is exactly the point of warranties.

But you don't have to take that car but just know you may not get the same deal else where. If you are fine with that then do what you feel most comfortable with.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I agree. However, I might be more inclined to take it for an extended test drive to make sure I feel comfortable with it before accepting it...mostly just to make me feel better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie with ? on new A6 purchase