A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Audi OEM Battery vs Autozone Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
With the original OEM battery lasting nearly 7 years I decided to stick with OEM when it came time to replace it.
I don't know that its all the OEM battery where the credit should go. Coming from GM I never had the factory battery last 3 years until I had one of their vehicles that had the battery mounted outside of the engine bay. My last Caddy STS and Olds Aurora had the battery inside the passenger compartment under the back seat.

I grew up in Arizona, those summers were especially hard on under-hood car batteries. After buying my first battery, I never bought another one. The new ones were all warranty replacements that failed in 1-2 years.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Our '06 wagon is most likely still on its original battery unless a battery would have been swapped out during the CPO process (??) -- I should look for the date code. I think this car was built 11/2005:

Name:  batt.jpg
Views: 15196
Size:  93.4 KB
Old 12-23-2013, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default perfect timing

Autozone has a 25% off coupon for a battery purchase running now through Jan 4th. Take advantage!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Same here on my '06 A6 Avant. The build date was also in late 2005, so the original battery is now 8 years old and still strong. Probably need to replace within the next year.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The_Mizarc
Autozone has a 25% off coupon for a battery purchase running now through Jan 4th. Take advantage!!!
Can you share the coupon? or link to it?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
With the original OEM battery lasting nearly 7 years I decided to stick with OEM when it came time to replace it.
im not expecting to keep the car for another 7 years, and with the cold weather in Michigan (-2 degrees other night), id rather get the 900-1000 CCA over the 550-600CCA. im a firm believer in OEM, but i don't believe that's the best route with the A6 C6 battery.

Glad to see this thread got alot of views and was able to help others

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all my fellow Audi owners!
Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

There is no such thing as an OEM battery. Audi doesn't make batteries. Batteries are a consumable, like tires, oil and washer fluid. Go to the dealer and pay a premium for the Audi logo on your invoice, or shop on the open market and get the best value (based on your criteria for value.)
The following users liked this post:
jasontaylor7 (08-01-2022)
Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by urs6_ma
There is no such thing as an OEM battery. Audi doesn't make batteries. Batteries are a consumable, like tires, oil and washer fluid. Go to the dealer and pay a premium for the Audi logo on your invoice, or shop on the open market and get the best value (based on your criteria for value.)
True, but there is such a thing as an OEM spec'd battery which is what people are referring to here, the one supplied by Audi either with the car or from one of their service centers.

Johnson Controls makes the Varta battery but they also make the Walmart EverStart, the Interstate Battery line, and several others. You don't think these are identical because they are made by Johnson Controls do you?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by urs6_ma
You have no idea what you're talking about. But ok
Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Audi also doesn't manufacture transmissions (ZF is their supplier), instrument clusters (VDO is their supplier), injection systems (Bosch and/or Hitachi supply those), tires (Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, etc.), wheels (Ronal is one of their supplier), the steel or aluminum to make the frame/body, etc., etc.... But OEM means supplied by Audi as part of the original build, not necessary specifcally manufactured by Audi AG in their factory/assembly plant.
The following users liked this post:
jasontaylor7 (08-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Audi OEM Battery vs Autozone Battery