Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Vibration Under Load

Old 11-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Height - Vibration

Hey fellas I have a question about a similar problem: I get occasional vibration under load, but only when going over 70+ MPH. It pretty much goes away if I manually raise the car above the lowest ride height setting. Is this due to worn cv axles? I just recently replaced both boots on front DS, and the PS axle is still in fine shape. No noticeable movement on either side when I get down there and yank on em. Allroad is a recent purchase (4 months ago) and it's got 128K on it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thagor4
Hey fellas I have a question about a similar problem: I get occasional vibration under load, but only when going over 70+ MPH. It pretty much goes away if I manually raise the car above the lowest ride height setting. Is this due to worn cv axles? I just recently replaced both boots on front DS, and the PS axle is still in fine shape. No noticeable movement on either side when I get down there and yank on em. Allroad is a recent purchase (4 months ago) and it's got 128K on it.
Yes, I would say that 9 times out of 10 it's the INNER front CV joints. Particularly if raising the car makes it go away. Allroads are the only vehicles that I know of that eat inner CVs like this, of course due the the height adjustability. Even if they don't show any signs of being loose while still in the car, I'd replace them both front half-shafts. For future reference, if you value your time or are paying for the service, replacing front CV boots is a waste of time. You can get brand new axles (assuming auto trans) at many local parts stores for under $100, and there's no mess from pulling the joints apart and getting grease all over. Autozone and O'Reilly are two examples I've used in the past.