S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S-Tronic Owners: Gearbox Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Most likely due to defective temp sensors, local control electronics or connectors.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLightning
haha Zed 2.0 just got PWND!!
Really.... OK maybe you can explain how oil won't do it's job and overheat at 145+ by "parking on some(hills) the oil may not be doing all its job and building in certain areas..."? Logic please...
Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i have read about the stronic transmission it seems it will overheat at certain hill grades... being in italy u probably encounter a good amount of hills and if u are parking on some the oil may not be doing all its job and building in certain areas...
The funny thing is, the car sat in my garage for 3 days prior to this happenening. I drove to work (15 mins), it sat for an hour then when I pulled off I got the warning.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Luckily I've not experienced any issues with my transmission.

I've tracked it in 100F+ temps (20-30 minute sessions) with oil temps in the 270's and the transmission never once gave me an issue. Granted I have no idea what the transmission temps were but I assume "hot" would be the proper term.

There were however BMW's that had to go home or stop driving because their transmissions went into limp mode.... lol
Old 08-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by primetime
Really.... OK maybe you can explain how oil won't do it's job and overheat at 145+ by "parking on some(hills) the oil may not be doing all its job and building in certain areas..."? Logic please...
simple, if the oil has settled in a specific place in the tranny then obviously the tranny is not being lubed and may overheat or malfunction... just how cars work... audi even says if u tow the car at an angle it may damage the gear box. thats why u need to flat bed it...

oil needs to flow through out the gearbox... if it settles it won't do it job and things may overheat or get damaged....
Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BdAsS4
The funny thing is, the car sat in my garage for 3 days prior to this happenening. I drove to work (15 mins), it sat for an hour then when I pulled off I got the warning.
Well like most said it most likely is some faulty sensor somewhere.. all i was trying to tell u is that if u leave ure car parked on a hill or grade.. whether at work or at home it may eventually damage the box... the gear box oil may be settling more where its not meant to be... just keep an eye out that is all
Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

simple, if the oil has settled in a specific place in the tranny then obviously the tranny is not being lubed and may overheat or malfunction... just how cars work... audi even says if u tow the car at an angle it may damage the gear box. thats why u need to flat bed it...

oil needs to flow through out the gearbox... if it settles it won't do it job and things may overheat or get damaged....
Very true in a general sense, but this technical marvel has lots of pumps and a design to eliminate these types of issue, the parts are literally awash in fluids for this transmission. I highly encourage the techies to read the link I posted, Decksurgeon has access to Audi internal mechanics info and posts some truly detailed and incredible info.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Gearbox malfunction

I just had my audi s4 towed to dealer for gearbox malfunction with limited functions then parking brake malfuntion then the car shut off while i was driving after i restarted it happened again. I drove home now its on its way to dealer and they are acting like they know nothing about this issue but seems to be happening to others what can i expect? Anyone know or advice on how to deal with these people acting stupid?
Old 05-14-2016, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't know if you got the recent Additional Warranty and Maintenance Information Supplement for 2015-16...nor if it matters in your case, but post here as general info (maybe I missed another post)?.

"Perform first at 40k miles and every 40k after they. -DSG/Stronic: Change ATF oil and replace transmission filter element for clutch hydraulics"
Old 11-18-2019, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK so I've been on Google all morning as I was literally on my way to Audi Dealer this morning for a routine service when I got this "Gearbox Malfunction - you can continue driving".

In a way, its a good thing it happened on the way, as I'll get a proper diagnosis. In a bad way, I'm so worried of the outcome.

I have a 2011 S-Tronic 7 Speed Quattro 3.0 TDI A6

I'm absolutely bricking it as they are scanning for diagnostics any time now. I've read some horror stories online...
My car is obviously well out of warranty!

The car seemed to have lost torque, but I've read this is a safety precaution. It still flows very smoothly from 1-7 with no issues. All I did notice, was it wouldn't change to S-Mode by pushing gear selector downwards. I'm guessing this is also to do with protecting the engine/transmission with possible overheating?

Will post later with updates.

Quick Reply: S-Tronic Owners: Gearbox Malfunction