A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Balalsts VELARC Valeo Nightmare - PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balalsts VELARC Valeo Nightmare - PLEASE HELP!!

Hi everyone,
this is a long story which I will try to cut short as much as possible. It's really bugging me and I really don't know whot to do to get myself out of it.
So, let's start it...
It's December 2009 and my right dipped beam goes out, kaput! It is Audi original Xenon Headlight, with D1S Bulbs.
I try to change with new bulbs and nothing happens, still dead. Then a few days later the left one dies too.
The local mechanic tells me that it is probably because I did not disconnect the earth cable from the battery before playing around with xenons. I nearly kill myself and go online and buy two new (or supposedly new) ballasts which arrive and they are both fine, working both straigh away.
After a couple of weeks the right headlight starts flickering on road bumps then it flickers every now and again until one day it dies all together. Coverd by 1 year warranty I send it back to the seller and he sends a new one...which does not work. I think it simply cannot be, so I try swapping the ballasts and the one that works keeps working and the one that does not work doesn't work after the swap either. I try swapping the cables and the bulbs too and no luck.
The seller then sends me another ballast which, guess what? does not work either, even after tdoing all the tests again.
Now, am I missing something here? or is it just some really bad bad luck and the two ballasts I got are both faulty?
Has anyone had any such experience, or has some advice to give me?
I read something about Chrysler using the same ballasts, (they might sell them cheaper than Audi) but cannot find the thread anymore, anyone has seen it?
Thank you for all the help you might be able to give.
Oh, the car is a 2002 A4 2.5TDi, with factory standard Xenon headlights.
Thanks!
G
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the terrible spelling of BALLASTS in the Thread title...apologies, I am just a forum newbie! ;-)